Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate some help. Does anyone have the Auto-Dimming Mirror W/Compass & Temp in their Mazda 3? I believe it would have either been dealer installed or you installed it yourself since it does not show up as a factory option (at least in Calif). I saw it as a Mazda accessory at Mazdastuff.com.

I am wondering how it gets power and outside temp measurement. Does it connect to some pre-installed wiring harness near the top of the windshield or does it have its own internal batteries or??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
navybob said:
Would appreciate some help. Does anyone have the Auto-Dimming Mirror W/Compass & Temp in their Mazda 3? I believe it would have either been dealer installed or you installed it yourself since it does not show up as a factory option (at least in Calif). I saw it as a Mazda accessory at Mazdastuff.com.

I am wondering how it gets power and outside temp measurement. Does it connect to some pre-installed wiring harness near the top of the windshield or does it have its own internal batteries or??

Thanks in advance.
Hey navybob,

I'm looking to have the Auto-Dimming/Compass/Temp/Homelink mirror installed in about another month or so...gotta save up some money. I believe there's some pre-wiring setup that they just connect to at the roof-line. I think it would be better to have the dealer install that option, rather than the consumer. If you get yours before me, please post some pics and any info regarding cost and installation.

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been curious about this as well...

I asked my local dealer, and although he didn't have exact numbers he said they would probably be about $300. (without Homelink)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for their responses, they were helpful.

The mirrors can be purchased at Mazdastuff.com for:

Mirror with temp & compass: $194 USD + shipping
Mirror with temp, compass, Homelink: $244 + shipping

Mazdastuff.com seems to be the internet accessory parts operation of a Mazda dealer in Austin, TX. I have already ordered a couple of other items from them (cargo net & cargo mat). I sent them an email asking if they may be able to explain what is involved to install the mirror. If I hear anything back from them, I will share it with the rest of the group.

Thanks again.

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the link, navybob.

I did some poking around on my dealer's website (Open Road Mazda in NJ), and I found the price for the mirror with temp and compass listed at invoice of $120 & MSRP of $150. This was on the 'Build a car' page for the Mazda6, but I'm guessing the price will be similar for the 3 (since they will undoubtedly use the same Gentex mirror.

Now only 6 months until I actually go to buy the car...

The url for my dealer is: www.openroadmazda.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the additional info, Trolldengi.

I looked through the installation instructions for the mirror and I think it is a bit too much for me. It is far more complicated than I had expected.

Also I think the mirror for the Mazda 6 is auto-dim and compass only (no thermometer), so that may be the reason for the price difference.

I am going to check with my dealer and see how much they want for the mirror with installation. I am a little sorry I didn't include the mirror as part of my car purchase, might have been able to negotiate a better price for it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The auto-dim feature is nice, don't need the compass too much really, but the thermometer would be nice. Don't suppose they make a dim/thermo w/o the compass, oh well, probably will end up getting the whole shibang then.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
navybob said:
I received detailed instruction from the parts department at Mazdastuff.com.
Is it me, or does that seem like a butt load of work for something that already costs $200?

And doesn't sensor placement next to the radiator seem strange? Is that accurate?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Actually, forward of the radiator seems to be the most logical position. It'll read intake air temp which will be the most "seen" temperature when driving. When you're stopped maybe the radiator will add a few degrees to the reading, but since air is a good insulator nothing that would be considered drastically inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Point taken. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts