Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching... ugh....
But is it possible to put an auto-dimming mirror in a 2005 (S) sedan?

It has the moonroof controls & everything, so I was wondering if it is pre-wired and if I can just purchase the mirror and not have to run any additional wires.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
It's very possible, you just need to get the appropriate part number for the '05 year. There are two available for you, one with homelink and one without. Incidentally the difference between these and the '06+ ones is that the newer ones lack an ambient temp display as it's included on the HU LCD.

The car is not prewired for it, though wiring is pretty easy. The wires go into the headliner, down the driver's side A-post (behind the cover) and tap two wires and ground behind the driver's side kick panel. There's a walkthrough around here for installing the homelink mirror, but the standard one is basically the same. Let me see if I can find it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Okay, HERE's the link for the auto-dim homelink install. Like I said the install is basically the same between the homelink and non-homelink, however there have been some wiring changes between years, so just double check the wires with a multi-meter before tapping them (or at least before putting everything back together ;)) Since you have a '05 I can check mine and confirm what wires you need to tap.

I did neglect to say that for the ambient temp. display you'll have to run a wire through the firewall and to the front/lower grill. That should really be the only PITA part of the install.

[quote author=Wayfarer link=topic=137331.msg2961329#msg2961329 date=1235599985]
Thank you for the reply!
I don't really need the homelink, just auto dimm would be nice, as well as a compass if they have it.

I did find one kit on ebay that sold the mirror and proper wiring, but it says that it's for "rain sensing wipers". But it lists 05-06 as the model years.
(this is the non home-link model)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230323492134&viewitem=
[/quote]

The auto-dim mirror has a compass on it, the main difference between the old and new is the lack of ambient temp. That mirror you linked is not the right one for your car, or rather the install kit is the wrong one. That's for the '05 sp23 or the '06+ GT..... the mount is completely different to accommodate the rain sensor. It doesn't list '04 as an option because rain sensing wipers weren't available in the US until '05.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... Good thing I didn't jump the gun.
Guess I will have to keep looking to find the correct one.
Is there a reputable Mazda parts website that I can just get this from? Ebay can be so vague at times.

And if it's not too much trouble, I would absolutely love it if you could double check your wires... It would make my life 100% easier.

Thank you...

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Wayfarer link=topic=137331.msg2961362#msg2961362 date=1235600848]
Ok... Good thing I didn't jump the gun.
Guess I will have to keep looking to find the correct one.
Is there a reputable Mazda parts website that I can just get this from? Ebay can be so vague at times.

And if it's not too much trouble, I would absolutely love it if you could double check your wires... It would make my life 100% easier.

Thank you...
[/quote]

I do my ordering from Jason (aka bagman1) our forum sponsor from onelinemazdaparts. Not sure what the price on the mirror is.... used to be about $150.

I can definitely double check the wires, just not tonight. :lol:

[quote author=Wayfarer link=topic=137331.msg2961383#msg2961383 date=1235601163]
How about this one?

http://tinyurl.com/bmuhnl
[/quote]

That looks exactly like mine, and since it has the temp. display it's for the '05.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool.
I'll see what bagman1 has to say.

Thanks for the help. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts