Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just read in the manual that as soon as you use any of the setting in which there air flow directed at the fron windshield the AC automaticly comes one (however the AC light stays of). This is all cool in ther first few minutes when you need dry air to get the mousture out. However once the windshield is defrosted/defoged it's usually more then enough just to maintain air flow on it to keep it from fogging up again. But guess what, you cant do that in this car. Has anyone tried or though of a mod that would allow you to turn of that AC at some point when the climate control is set to window defroes/defog. Here in Canada you end up driving aroung with it on all the time in the winter, and it really suks that the AC has to be on all the time for this.

·
Registered
744 Posts
That is how my previous car operated. It turns on the AC to get rid of moisture and I don't think it turns it off after any amount of time. I think in the manual that it says when the heater (air flow toward the floor) is on that a little bit of air flow still comes out of the defrost. See if you can turn on the heater and keep your windshield defrosted.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
6 hours in a steady rain and the windsheild defogger was on pretty much all the time. Otherwise I was getting moisture buildup. In all honesty though, I didn't notice power loss as was in my old Acura CL when I flipped it on or off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That auto AC is kind of stupid to me. Manufacturers want to reduce poluting emissions but their car has the AC always on.

Turning it on automaticaly, maybe, but one should be able to turn it off !

:roll:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did a search on the Protegé forum and there is a mod that requires removing some micro-switches on the HVAC circuit board. After the mod, the AC only engages if you engage it !

I guess that something similar would have to be done in the Mz3.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yanick_viens said:
I did a search on the Protegé forum and there is a mod that requires removing some micro-switches on the HVAC circuit board. After the mod, the AC only engages if you engage it !

I guess that something similar would have to be done in the Mz3.
Wow, very cool!! Do you by any chance have a link to this, or more info on this mod? I would be very interested in reading more about it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Anyone try this ^^^^^^^^^ in their Mz3. I'd like to leave the window defroster running without having the A/C sucking up moisture from the rest of the car (not to mention gas and making the air cold).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I usually kick it on full blast at first, and after the windows are clear, just switch the fan off. Once you're driving, heat still comes out, but since the fan isn't on, neither is the AC. As long as you're moving, air will continue to flow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts