Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, have had my SP23 sedan for a few days. I have asked my dealer about break-in period for the first 1000km etc, and he said that with these new engines, it doesn't matter. So I have been using near full potential of the car 8) , ie revving right through rpm to redline, to ensure all the valves (SVT) are used, piston rings sealed etc.

Anyone know if the Australian version has a speed governor like the US model? US model is limited at a little over 180km/h?? I would love it not to have one!! :twisted:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Aussie MZ6 has a speed governor of 208Km I have read.

I don't think it could go much faster than this anyway.
SP23 has same engine so I assume it will be the same.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Now you can suggest to me where i can take this bright shiny car and take it to those speeds... ;)

we really need an autobahn here in oz.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we really need an autobahn here in oz.
I agree 100%. I can't even find a place to redline 4th gear (assume it is around 170-180km/h??) Anyone tried yet?

M

·
0 Posts
All new model cars brought into Oz have a speed limiter, its just a matter of finding what it is.

Redlining 4th gear???

try the M5, M4 or Centenial Drive @ night where theres no traffic..

Or on the way the Krispy Kremes. :D :D :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
:( tried centennial drive last night... too many darn patrol cars... saw 5 (!?) in the space of an hour trip to the northern beaches and back... its not as if its holiday season. hence only cautious bursts of speed...

M

·
0 Posts
are you serious???

i cruise down there at 120 - 140km in my CG lancer most of the time...

I hardly see patrol cars on that road, or maybe i've just been lucky...

:D :D :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
i hardly see them down there too, so it was quite unusual... it was still quite fun though.

i wish mazda would do days where they treat their customers to some time at a friendly neighbourhood raceway. that would encourage customer loyalty! :twisted:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just remember in Sydney you only need to be seen by one patrol car at a speed of 30km above the limit and its bye bye licence.

The fixed camera's suck even worse, they take up to 7 weeks to send out the infringement and take 3 years to lose the subsequent demerits.

Having never had a road accident but a couple of camera fines its all an obvious form of tax, particularly as you have to pay $11 to get photo evidence or just take their written word that it was your vehicle.

M

·
0 Posts
The fixed camera's suck even worse, they take up to 7 weeks to send out the infringement and take 3 years to lose the subsequent demerits.
Seven years????

Are you serious????

I'm waiting for one now!!!!

Damn thats shitty!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
ouch! how long do we lose our license for if we are >30km/hr over? on some roads its near impossible not to do that speed! :twisted:

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you get caught going >30km/h over you get suspended for 3 months (plus 4 points and $565) and for 45km/h over it's 6 months (plus 6 points and $1595)

M

·
0 Posts
If you get caught going >30km/h over you get suspended for 3 months (plus 4 points and $565) and for 45km/h over it's 6 months (plus 6 points and $1595)
you know your laws steve-o... :eek:

Is this from personal experience? :D Or just knowledge???

·
Registered
176 Posts
I dunno about tax...but I reckon a 1500 fine is a fairly good deterrent to speeding.......

Seriously Guys going 150+ KMs on public roads is lunacy....save it for the racetrack if that is your thing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
malebastard said:
you know your laws steve-o... :eek:

Is this from personal experience? :D Or just knowledge???
Just like to know how much the police will whack me with if I get caught. :twisted: I have all my points back now after 4 years of driving a 4WD but I am finding it hard to keep it under the speed limit in the MZ3. I think it is the 6 o'clock rest position of the speedo. I think I'm only doing 20km/h hours but it is really 80km/h!

M

·
0 Posts
Hahahhha..

"But officer, i can't see my speedo properly"

Wonder if that one would work...

:D

·
Registered
650 Posts
They'd probably smack you with a neg driving offence or something stupid.

Maybe..."I'm dyslexic and could work out if I was doing 60km/h or 90km/h"

·
Registered
308 Posts
150kmph won't win to many races on a racetrack, and is well within the safe capabilities of a Mz3 SP23 on many of Australia's motorways, provided the rules of seperation with other traffic are adhered to.

The speed limits are in place for reasons other than safety, they are continually revised and toughened due to a minority of the population controlling the legislation and being heavily lobbied by narrow minded pressure groups.

Speed and traffic camera's not rating highly at elections as both of Australia's main parties are more than happy to collect the windfall of revenue through nonsense fines so neither talk about it.

Focusig on unlicensed drivers or those not knowing the road rules correctly when entering intersections, keeping left whenever possible, etc, should be the priority but its not a priority for the goverment as it increases their costs rather than adding revenue. It requires cops policing the streets and issuing tickets the costly old fashioned way. Its far better for the government to have a camera automatically, 24 hours a day generating revenue without even the requirement for human intervention and the only evidence given to the defendant being a 5 cent letter claiming a piece of photographic hardware and rubber inlaid roading adjudged you to be unsafe at xyz speed.

Rating all cars as equally unsafe to yourself and other motorists at the exact same speed, time of day, weather conditions, etc eg. 100kmph is a nonsense.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Quite true fiordland. There are some roads where one really wonders where the speed limit came from. e.g Centenary Drive (especially just past the entrance to the Olympic site where its a measley 70km/hr for a lovely piece of tarmac) or Southern Cross Drive... thankfully its not yet a permanent camera. Imagine if it was! :x

With the superb control of the Mazda3, doing 150km/hr along selected roads and in reasonable traffic conditions is quite reasonable if not for the "letter of the law".

Steve-o -> I had and still have that same problem with the MZ3 speed... makes it quite an effort of concentration when driving past the known speedtraps in the M5 and Harbour Tunnels! :?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts