Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a look at the monthly sales figures for January (sorry, can't provide a link, it's a commercial report).

Mazda sold 725 Mazda3s, which was 432 sedans and 293 hatches. That puts it about 6th in the small car segment (behind the Focus, Astra, 323, Pulsar and Corolla). But if you took into account that it was only selling for about 2 weeks, it would be ahead of everything but the Astra and the Corolla.

They were Mazda's third best selling model, behind the 323 (runout sales) and the Mazda6.

So far it looks like the Mazda3 is doing pretty well, but it's early days yet.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wow - that's a pretty big difference between the sedan and hatch. Normally hatches sell better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they sold something like 900 MZ6's, so a full month for the MZ3 should see it being the best selling Mazda.

(As the 323 was before the MZ3).

As for the Sedan vs Hatch point - the Focus, Astra, Elantra, Corolla etc all sell more hatches than Sedans. Only the Pulsar (and the 323) skew strongly towards the sedan. And the Pulsar sedan is actually $2,000 cheaper than the hatch, so that makes sense.

(Even the Mazda6 sells mainly hatchbacks)

·
Registered
372 Posts
So early indications are that people prefer the styling of the sedan. Can't say I'm surprised, because I do think Mazda has done a pretty good with the the sedan's styling, to the extent that the majority of people find it more attractive. When I first saw the MX Sportif (Mazda3 concept) which is a hatch, I was quite impressed with the styling. But when the sedan broke cover at last year's Frankfurt Motor Show, I think most people were genuinely surprised (myself included) just how pretty it was.

Pity about the licence plate holder on the front though. From memory, all sedans and both SP23 variants get the holder because of their curved bumpers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did the report go as far to say the breakdown in the model types?

I think it would be fair to say that those who have been hanging out for the release have probably gone for the higher end models eg SP23 and Maxx Sport

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Spook, I agree - the sedan is a very nice looking car indeed.

The report didn't break down the sales by model, so I don't know what's selling most. But I'd imagine that it was mainly Maxx's or better, simply because none of the dealers I've been to seemed to have many Neo's in the first shipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts