Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. my name is Kevin and just picked up my MS3 last Thursday from Mazda South. I wanted to start a local thread for group participation and to get to know each other. The purpose of the thread is two fold. I know there is probably not as big of a contingent as the Mustang clubs I used to belong to but perhaps we might have some drive in meets to meet each other, check out each others cars, talk shop etc. etc.

Secondly, I thought we might be able to have some pull locally with regards to mods in that we might get a group discount on parts and installation if we all found a part for our cars that we all wanted. I know I'm late to the game and many of you already have some aftermarket goodies, but there will be new stuff coming all the time. If we cannot ever get a better deal locally than online, then maybe we can shop online and get a small break locally for install. For instance, there is a local shop called MZM in Austin that is a Cobb ProTuner dealer, though I know nothing about them. But the Cobb AP and Apexi turbo timer are 2 things I'm interested in and they will carry both.

Bell Engineering is in Spring Branch west of SA and carry the Xede which is another strong contender, plus they are very well known for their work and design on forced induction rides.

We might could get a group discount at one of the Mazda dealers for those interested it in MS cai, cat-back, MS wheels, suspension parts etc.

Anyway, just throwing around some ideas. Report in and give us your thoughts. Also report any local shops that you have dealt with for parts/installation that you think are trust worthy and reliable. Thanks guys!

My wish list and probably the order I'll do them:
MS CAI
Apexi timer
cat-back, possibly turbo back
rear motor mount
xede or Cobb AP
IC upgrade, possibly ETS or see what BEGi comes up with
MS accessory wheels

·
Registered
408 Posts
I got mine there too, who was your salesman?? mine was jim hawthorne, he has sold me both my mazdas and my family another 4. Always done me right.
On my drive home I passed a shop on st elmo called applied racing technologies. I went to their website and they specialize in mazda and miata spec stuff. I sent them an email the other day, but haven't heard back....been thinking of stopping by and talking to them. I want a boost gauge and maybe some other guages but I don't feel comfortable drilling or cutting anything in my car and would rather have someone else do that so if they mess up they have to fix it.
Anyways, welcome abord. What part of austin you in??? I'm off william cannon

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
[quote author=Nymisus link=topic=72042.msg1268641#msg1268641 date=1173940742]
I got mine there too, who was your salesman?? mine was jim hawthorne, he has sold me both my mazdas and my family another 4. Always done me right.
On my drive home I passed a shop on st elmo called applied racing technologies. I went to their website and they specialize in mazda and miata spec stuff. I sent them an email the other day, but haven't heard back....been thinking of stopping by and talking to them. I want a boost gauge and maybe some other guages but I don't feel comfortable drilling or cutting anything in my car and would rather have someone else do that so if they mess up they have to fix it.
Anyways, welcome abord. What part of austin you in??? I'm off william cannon
[/quote]

if you want gauges this is a must have!!!! http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=64584.msg1247249#msg1247249

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live in the New Braunfels area. My speed is at BEGi getting a FMIC along with a new BEGi airbox. This with the already installed Xede should be about all the modes unless a cat. back is needed. Almost time for another dyno run.

·
Registered
756 Posts
[quote author=dock44 link=topic=72042.msg1268238#msg1268238 date=1173924054]
We might could get a group discount at one of the Mazda dealers for those interested it in MS cai, cat-back, MS wheels, suspension parts etc.

Anyway, just throwing around some ideas. Report in and give us your thoughts. Also report any local shops that you have dealt with for parts/installation that you think are trust worthy and reliable. Thanks guys!
[/quote]

Welcome,

We already had a group buy for the MS CAI. PM rontonkinmazda for pricing. There is a group buy in progress for the MS Cat-back that I might join within days (I'll wait now for Turbo XS offer to come next week). Go to the homepage of this forum and search MazdaSpeed Cat Back and you'll see a link to the group buy tonkin is putting together. In this forum you'll find some cool stuff like guys who really know their stuff and from whom I'm learning. Also check out the TWM shifter bushings, Rear engine mounts (I'll be getting the Street Unit 62A), CPE CAI, CPE Turbo Back, ETS TIMC upgrade. The aftermarket options for the Speed3 are coming. It's exciting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1967abarth, very interested to hear your gains when all is done. Keep us in the loop. I take it that the FMIC BEGi is putting on is a custom designed part from them? Let us know

Thanks for the info hot hatch. I just figured if we got enough local people, we could get a similar deal to what Tonkin can offer at one of the Austin area Mazda dealers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm down Corpus Christi way...just moved here from NY. If you want to meet up sometime shoot me an pm.

Later,
Carraig
SS MS3 GT

·
Registered
96 Posts
[quote author=dock44 link=topic=72042.msg1268238#msg1268238 date=1173924054]
Hey guys. my name is Kevin and just picked up my MS3 last Thursday from Mazda South. I wanted to start a local thread for group participation and to get to know each other. The purpose of the thread is two fold. I know there is probably not as big of a contingent as the Mustang clubs I used to belong to but perhaps we might have some drive in meets to meet each other, check out each others cars, talk shop etc. etc.

Secondly, I thought we might be able to have some pull locally with regards to mods in that we might get a group discount on parts and installation if we all found a part for our cars that we all wanted. I know I'm late to the game and many of you already have some aftermarket goodies, but there will be new stuff coming all the time. If we cannot ever get a better deal locally than online, then maybe we can shop online and get a small break locally for install. For instance, there is a local shop called MZM in Austin that is a Cobb ProTuner dealer, though I know nothing about them. But the Cobb AP and Apexi turbo timer are 2 things I'm interested in and they will carry both.

Bell Engineering is in Spring Branch west of SA and carry the Xede which is another strong contender, plus they are very well known for their work and design on forced induction rides.

[/quote]

Actually considering moving to Austin some time soon. How is it over there? Alot of Autocrossing events? How is the Service dealer for the Mazdaspeed over there? Alot of programming jobs now? (I know it went in the crapper 5 years ago).

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the FMIC works well on the dyno I would think BEGi will make it available. They make a large number of IC for other companies.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coldfuzion, I'm the wrong guy to ask about autocrossing events. My guess is that there are quite a few but it's just that....a guess. A lot of tech companies here so I'm sure some good programmin jobs. Love the city myself ....been here pretty much my whole life. SXSW, Austin City Limits Festival, 6th St. and downtown, tons of great live music just about any night of the week, Lake Travis and the rest of the Hill Country Lakes, Longhorn football 8) .....yes you must convert to burnt orange if you move here. LOL Growing more and more every year.

Regarding service...I have no idea yet. I've only had it for a week and only put 150 miles on her so far....damn rain. Maybe one of the other local guys can chime in regarding service. I bought from Mazda South and plan on using them unless I hear otherwise. There are 3 Mazda dealers in Austin, all owned by Beasley so hopefull they are good and consistent across the board.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1967abarth, give us the details when you get her back.

Nymisus, Joseph Lao was my salesman at South. Treated me very good.....quite pleased. I'm west out in Lakeway. Let me know if you hear anything from that shop.

·
Registered
402 Posts
[quote author=dock44 link=topic=72042.msg1269239#msg1269239 date=1173976043]
Coldfuzion, I'm the wrong guy to ask about autocrossing events. My guess is that there are quite a few but it's just that....a guess. A lot of tech companies here so I'm sure some good programmin jobs. Love the city myself ....been here pretty much my whole life. SXSW, Austin City Limits Festival, 6th St. and downtown, tons of great live music just about any night of the week, Lake Travis and the rest of the Hill Country Lakes, Longhorn football 8) .....yes you must convert to burnt orange if you move here. LOL Growing more and more every year.

Regarding service...I have no idea yet. I've only had it for a week and only put 150 miles on her so far....damn rain. Maybe one of the other local guys can chime in regarding service. I bought from Mazda South and plan on using them unless I hear otherwise. There are 3 Mazda dealers in Austin, all owned by Beasley so hopefull they are good and consistent across the board.
[/quote]

+1 on the Austin area. I've lived in a bunch of places and Austin is a tie for numero uno with the Peninsula in the Bay Area. Austin actually wins for me due to lower cost of living / real estate and proximity to the in-laws for grandparenting. I'm pretty sure they are adding s/w people at this point so it could be a good time to make the move. A guy I know is a contract recruiter and might be able to help you get started on you job search. PM me if you're interested and I'll check with him.

·
Registered
408 Posts
+2 for austin....lived here all my life and can't really think about moving anywhere else....except out to the country on a lot of land where you won't be bothered by anyone. Other than that there is always something to do. I can't speak for autocross either, but would like to get into if I ever have the time. As far as service goes I have never had any problems with mazda south and my family has bought 7 cars total from there(2 for me!!)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: autocross, I orgot to add these links: http://www.spokes.org/ ; http://www.sasportscar.com/forum/portal_content.asp

The first is for Texas Spokes and they are in Austin. Haven't been to any of their events yet, but they are starting to have a lot of them. I gather that the event of the 25th is already full. The second is for SASCA and they have had a regular schedule of events since I first started to look into this. I attended one of their events and enjoyed it, despite having to stand out on the track in the July heat. Anyway, it's looking pretty good for AX b/t these two orgs.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Since I recently moved to Austin (6 months, 20 days and 3 hours!) from the Bay Area (San Jose, CA) I must tell that this place is definitely a nice place to either be single or raise a family. My family LOVES this place but I will be honest with you... It's still taking me a while to get used to the slooooow pace, the BIG trucks (I HATE them - they totalled my beloved RX8!), fewer conveniences such as online payments, no much canyon driving (compared to Bay Area), too much football(I am not into Fotball) and no much track/AX events like the Bay Area.

The closest track is TSW (oval is shared :() about 3-4 hours away and there are just a few AX here and there, not much though.

I was used to 2 AX events per month, track events at either Thunderhill, Laguna Seca, Infineon and even Buttonwillow, Streets Of WIllow... and so on.. you get my point.

However it's growing and hopefully it'll get as close as I was used to back in CA.

I bought a house near the lakes about 15 minutes away from Lime Creek Road (a good canyon road) and this was the reason for buying the house so close! lol lol

I have driven 1967Abarth's car with XEDE and all I can say is that if we all can get a group buy, it'll be worth the investment! Amazing difference just with this little black box! :) They are now getting an IC, CAI and perhaps even a TBE.

Coldfuzion:
I am in the Hi Tech field as well so PM me if you want more info.

The dealer in Austin by Burnet is awesome, especially service.

BTW, we might be having a drive next weekend 03/24... but info is only provided via PM.

Take care y'all :) (I am getting this "y'all" down! :) )

Carlos

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for checking in Carlos and welcome to Austin to you and your family. Don't understand the the whole "not liking football" thing but oh well :lol: Yes the guys at Mazda Central were very good to me but South contacted me first and got the job done. I did not get a good vibe after talking to the guys from Premier in G-Town, but their service could be good.

Sean posted up some links for AX above that you may already know about.....if not, check em out.

I'm waiting anxiously for Barth's report on the rest of the car mods.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just got one from North Park Mazda...I live in Live Oak.
I will probably be stock for along time since I can barely afford the car as it is.

·
Registered
368 Posts
[quote author=Haggerty link=topic=72042.msg1294639#msg1294639 date=1175024671]
I just got one from North Park Mazda...I live in Live Oak.
I will probably be stock for along time since I can barely afford the car as it is.
[/quote]
It's a bitch eating peanut butter and jelly, tuna fish, sandwiches. BTDT. But if you have the right car, it's worth it.

I'm Houston, so let me know when you guys are going to tear up the roads. If you are up to it, the Tx SHO guys are having a track weekend at Texas World Speedway(College Station) in May, I think it's the 26-27th. $225 for
the Sat & Sun. I've been there a few times and that is a kickass track to beat your car on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would recommend:
Dealership: Mazda South
Service: JC Auto Spec in Round Rock
Autocross: Spokes Club or SASCA

Ya'll are welcome to come down and see the MS3 for yourself. :D
Stephanie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for chiming in Stephanie. I was working and unable to make it down with the group from last weekend. I know they were really impressed with Bob's car. Is JC Auto Spec a tuner type performance shop or just a general all-around independent service shop?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts