Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the audiolink and it works good. I ran the wire from the back of HU and placed the audiolink right beside the handbrake underneath the center console. I plugged in the usb extension cord and ran it through the hole by the cup holder. The unit works fine but it's just when I try to plug in the extension cord for the aux-input, it would stop playing from USB. I always thought that it would only disable USB and switch to aux-in when it detects signal from the aux-in, guess not. So if I want to plug in my cellphone or my girlfriend's iPod, I'll have to take the center console apart and plug in the extension cord, run the wire then put everything back. Well that's really annoying so I'm hoping to find a solution.

"If you have a cable plugged into the 1/8" stereo plug, the AudioLink will stop playing songs from the USB storage device."

I'm curious about why when it's plugged it would stop playing USB. If the cord is not plugged into anything on the other end, it wouldn't even make any connection, so how does it detect? Maybe something physical? If so I might just have to open the audiolink box and see what's in it. I bought it on the RPM store but it doesn't seem like it has warranty, if it does I hope I don't void it by opening it.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I think what's going on is that they use a special audio jack on the AudioLink that can sense when a cable is attached. It's like how when you plug a pair of headphones into a laptop, the internal speakers turn off. The jack has a built-in switch that gets flipped when a jack is physically inserted, which then tells the laptop to turn off the internal speakers. The same thing is going on with the AudioLink; it knows when an aux-in cable is plugged in and then disables the USB port.

If you were really adventurous and skilled with soldering, you should be able to take the AudioLink apart, remove the aux jack, and replace it with a standard, non-sensing jack. Then, you'd wire up a switch to the contacts that the sensor on the old jack, so that when you flip the switch, it toggles between aux-in and USB mode.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that would really suck. Because I'm thinking of putting a DVD player into my car, and use that aux-in for input. But I guess this won't work for now since I have to connect and disconnect everytime. Is there any other way to work around this?

·
Registered
801 Posts
[quote author=devil2k link=topic=71594.msg1260798#msg1260798 date=1173590402]
Thanks, that would really suck. Because I'm thinking of putting a DVD player into my car, and use that aux-in for input. But I guess this won't work for now since I have to connect and disconnect everytime. Is there any other way to work around this?
[/quote]

I put my audiolink in the glovebox... its not really a fix, but that way you don't have to disassemble anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts