Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
I don't have my ride yet so can't tell you about audio but regarding the hard to start problem you should refer this to the dealer immediately. They can run the tests and hopefully fix it fast. Please let us know how you go on that. Regarding brake dust I have read other threads about this problem. I wonder if it is worse on automatics? I suspect this would be so as you would not be doing as much engine compression "breaking" as the stick shift. There may be harder pads that one can purchase but you have to ask the dealer again as there may be warranty problems since the harder pads could damage the discs. All new cars I have owned take a few ks to seat in the new brake pads. After that over a period of months you will get slight grooving of the discs. After several years you can get them "skimmed" back to perfect at a work shop.

· Registered
268 Posts
I was looking around the net for advice on breaks and found this. (I have also put it on another North American thread talking about brakes........"
Has anyone been breaking in their new brake pads properly? I picked up the following from "Popular Mechanix" magazine : "There's no way to overemphasize the importance of proper lining break-in (some authorities say overlooking this procedure is the No. 1 cause of noise and hard pedal complaints). The ideal way to start new linings off is to make 30 slow stops (spaced 2 minutes apart) from about 30 mph using light to moderate pressure. You may not be willing to take that much time, but you'd be foolish not to make at least 10 moderate stops at 30-second intervals (you should be able to feel the action smooth out), then avoid heavy braking for the first 200 miles." The reason for this is to gradually coat the disc with break pad material that is imbedded in the pad resins. This brings the resins up to ambient temperature and the break pad material then can release evenly from the pad onto the disc. If you have purchased your vehicle and then go screaming out onto the road, accelerating hard and then screeching to hard stops you will score minute chunks of pad material off the pad onto the disc where they will create wear and squeal. The resins will not have had time to relaese the pad material properly to evenly coat the disc. The disc will basically end up with hard intermittent smears all over it instead." I knew there was a reason I always I took it easy on the new brake pads!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.