Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Black AT SP23 Sedan last Monday.. and now it's got 750klms on it!

Love the car, and very impressed with pretty much every aspect of it... EXCEPT... the audio... which in my view is crap... I think this has a lot to do with the weak speakers and fact the rear ones are in the doors and not at the back like normal. I love my music and good quality sound - not doof doof subby overkill noise - just quality rich and deep sound. I've been annoyed with Mazda for not offering the premium Bose audio as an option.... and now I must take things into my own hands...

So can someone help me with details of the audio system in the SP23 - what type of connections are on the unit (Aus version), what are the best options to improve the sounds... Has anyone had any experience in taking apart the dash and putting back in factory fit condition... the last thing I want is for an audio guy to have trouble fitting everything back in place nicely...

My idea is put in new more powerful speakers (with tweeters), and an Amp. Is it simple plug and play or will it get messy?!

Also, some other points to note about my experience..

1. The auto transmission seems very clever - perhaps too clever... it seems to want to get to 4th gear when ever the car is moving even if it is not the most appropriate gear... this is most apparent in stop-go peak hour trafffic - where gear jerks/kick-back is evident

2. Starting the car can sometimes be a pain.. in about 10 starts, it didn't kick in the first time about 3 times. Also generally sounds a little 'tinny'

3. Brakes sound is pretty high. Everytime I brake, the grinding is very audible - has anyone else experienced this?

4. I have heard rear brake squeal on the odd occation. Also in one week the rear wheels are dark grey with brake dust.

Most of these may just be picky things... but worth noting to see how it goes in the long run. I'm hoping most things will settle down over time.

Elmo!

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies ppl... very informative..

I think I will get a professional to do the audio..!

And yeah.. after only a week, I am noticing the more flare and clipping.. plus more vibration and squeaks in the doors... the speakers do not seem to be supported too well.

Hotztuf... as for the starting.. I mean when I turn the on. You would expect in a new car start up within a second of turning the key... but my one doesn't... just doesn't sound very robust.

Another thing... I am noticing that sometimes are idle is quite rough... I have read elsewhere on this forum that an oil change at 1,000klms should fix it.... we'll... and I hope all these problems are just a case of letting the car settle in!

Cheers!

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my starting problem seems to have fixed itself...!!! But I will tell the dealer about it when I get the 1000 klms service..

As for excessive brake dust... seems to be a characteristic of the MZ3 as everyone is having the same problem. I would suggest to all upcoming owners to go easy on the car in the first 1000... and set in the brakes... in other words.. no hard braking, especially when corning - M. Schumacher style. My left rear disc has a grain line in it... I'm going to argue with the dealer to replace it.... we'll see how it goes..

As for the audio.. I'm getting a new set installed this week - Focal front speakers with dash mounted tweeters, and Alpine AMP and rears.... mmmmmmm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.