Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't driven an ATX with an upgraded sway bar so I'm not too sure. Know how MTXs have a more prominent engine braking feel when you let off the throttle (say 3rd gear), while you let off the throttle on an ATX and it just cruises and have really weak engine braking? Well I'm planning to put my Racing Beat rear bar on my gf's ATX when she gets her 3 and I'd like to get an idea on how it'd react with an auto. I have a feeling that the off-throttle induced oversteer won't be as harsh and quick as doing it in a manual... thoughts?

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
You are most likely right. ATX cars have less engine braking then MTX cars do, so you are going to have less weight transfer to the front wheels causing the oversteer to occur on an ATX car.
-Matt

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=66061.msg1132624#msg1132624 date=1167923634]
atx's rule.
[/quote]

go home, junior. :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Still, the lag time an ATX has and the "ease in and ease out" of the shift makes the driver feel somewhat disconnected from the transmission.

Thus, even when I manumatic downshift to take a turn in powerband, I find that it could be just as fast driving in full auto mode and mashing the pedal once I've completed the apex of a turn... hehe

Then the auto downshifts and the car accelerates out of the turn. It has no finesse or smoothness, but it sometimes seems easier than trying to downshift to the point where there's engine braking to find powerband.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
I've been wanting to get the Racing Beat swaybar for my ATX for a while now. Just haven't done it yet. Would NSN be the best place to get one?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Speaking from my experience with front and rear RB bar/RB springs, it seems easier to induce oversteer/unload the rear by hard braking (especially driving downhill into a corner/turn) than just letting off throttle during cornering. Then again, I got -2 deg camber in the back, which would help against oversteer.

I drove 3i with ATX for one day as rental. Bean, you are right in that it's got almost no engine breaking, the transition is rather smooth. I would also think this would lessen chance of oversteer b/c the weight doesn't transfer to the front as abruptly as MTX would. This is all speculation, so I can be totally wrong.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not to sound harsh or anything, but does your GF know how to drive?

I ask because oversteer can put a car in the ditch if she hasnt any experience with this. I know first hand my sister doesnt know how to handle snow induced oversteer on a fwd car and we got lucky with only hitting a concrete barricade, instead of base jumping an accord without a parrichute. Just be carefull about changing things like this. Also with an auto, since it doesnt have engine braking it will need to use actual brakes to slow the car down, and im sure that a nice tap on the brakes at the wrong moment can unload the car and around the tail goes.

Kev.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. My gf occasionally takes familiar corners and onramps hard, and takes it easy during rainy conditions. I've decided to get her the adjustable Progress so she can have a starting point then upgrade to the Racing Beat after she gets used to the stiff setting.

I don't have any springs to upgrade her ride, so there's still gonna be a little bit of body roll when I put in the bar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts