Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look at the stick shift for the atx there's 2 positions for drive
left and right

Im told the left is for driving on low and it should always be shifted to the right

·
Banned
868 Posts
Are you referring to the activematic?

If so, then "left" means it's more of a manual tranny, and "right" is FULL automatic.

Keep it in "left" if you want more joy out of your driving :p

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know what its called

I tried the auto GS sedan and the dealer told me to put it to the right side

You're saying the left is better?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
lol....the left isnt "better" it gives you more freedom as to when u want to shift (i.e a certain rpm, i usually just shift below 3 when using the sportmatic). but on the right side is just regular automatic trans where the computer shifts for you and u just cruise along without worrying about when to shift.

·
Registered
202 Posts
yes, the left is sooo much better, it allows you to control your gearing, fun stuff hearing the engine whine in the high rpms

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This may be a dumb question but here goes.........

The left side is a manual option but there's no other gears to switch to??

·
Registered
889 Posts
TellyDSP said:
Left Manual - Fun to play with
Right Auto - Fun in traffic
What is so difficult about driving a manual? It doesn't bother me at all when I'm stuck in L.A. traffic. Try having to deal with 3 controls at the same time (cyclic, collective, pedals), maintaining attitude/altitude, airspeed, and having to check a billion gauges all at once. That is what I do everyday... Driving a stick is nothing.

·
Registered
563 Posts
What is so difficult about driving a manual? It doesn't bother me at all when I'm stuck in L.A. traffic. Try having to deal with 3 controls at the same time (cyclic, collective, pedals), maintaining attitude/altitude, airspeed, and having to check a billion gauges all at once. That is what I do everyday... Driving a stick is nothing.
Alright now. Not that I'm taking it personally, but it'll seriously be alright. There's nothing difficult about it. My first car(Jeep) was a manual and I drove it for 5 years. Hell, I still have it, and love it. I didn't say it was difficult. I prefer not to deal with it any more. And, if I knew how to fly, which maybe one day I will, I'll take my cyclometer, and altidater, and gazillion gauges and love 'em. Till then, I prefer my 3 to be an auto. If I want to drive stick, I'll jump in the Jeep. And as for you're LA traffic, it sux, I know, I've been there. And I know I personally prefer to put my left foot to sleep and let my right do the work. Preference can be great some times. I don't understand why MT user insist on convincing us AT drivers that we're lazy, or stupid, or whiners, or anything. We just dont feel like driving stick. You don't hear AT users bragging about their gas pedal abilities do you, so leave us alone.

Now that I'm done venting.

And yes, the stick to the left will show a "M" on the dash gauges instead of "d" for drive. All you do is push forward(toward the "+") to upshift and back (toward the "-") to downshift.

Peace,
Craig

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
TellyDSP said:
Alright now. Not that I'm taking it personally, but it'll seriously be alright. There's nothing difficult about it. My first car(Jeep) was a manual and I drove it for 5 years. Hell, I still have it, and love it. I didn't say it was difficult. I prefer not to deal with it any more. And, if I knew how to fly, which maybe one day I will, I'll take my cyclometer, and altidater, and gazillion gauges and love 'em. Till then, I prefer my 3 to be an auto. If I want to drive stick, I'll jump in the Jeep. And as for you're LA traffic, it sux, I know, I've been there. And I know I personally prefer to put my left foot to sleep and let my right do the work. Preference can be great some times. I don't understand why MT user insist on convincing us AT drivers that we're lazy, or stupid, or whiners, or anything. We just dont feel like driving stick. You don't hear AT users bragging about their gas pedal abilities do you, so leave us alone.

Now that I'm done venting.

And yes, the stick to the left will show a "M" on the dash gauges instead of "d" for drive. All you do is push forward(toward the "+") to upshift and back (toward the "-") to downshift.

Peace,
Craig
AMEN craig!

·
Registered
420 Posts
TellyDSP said:

Peace,
Craig
Actually, you push up (toward the dash) to down shift, and pull back (toward the rear seat) to up shift. Just a polite correction. I have the Sportmatic tranny and find it to be alright, though when in auto (not M), it tends to not be in the right gear at times. Wanted a manual, but they didn't have one in the combo I wanted, so I settled for the Sportmatic :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I didnt mean to personally attack anyone, and I wish at times I had the MT. Hope we can all remain friends :D .

BMM3, thanx for the correction. While typing, I had a feeling it was wrong, but since I haven't seen my three in almost 2 weeks, I forgot. :( That's kinda the reason I added the +/_ just in case.

N1smo, I understand. I didn't mean to personally repond to youre reply like that, but I thought I would speak for many of the AT users(I'm pretty sure funkyfresh feels me on this one). We tend to catch a lot of crap and get judged based on our AT. Not saying you were, you just caught the venting.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread.

BTW, I miss my baby. But good news, she'll probably be totalled.

RIP

Craig

·
Registered
563 Posts
Driving down the road and some guy tried cutting acress the road. I went straight into his door. As it stands now, the insurance company is waiting on parts prices through Mazda(taking forever). Chances are it'll get toalled and I should have a new one w/in the next month. For pics, go here http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/489308. New car pics on first page and damage pics on the second.

Craig

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
yea, ppl ask me and since im with a the crowd that is into ricing, they ask if i have a MT or AT i go AT...and automatically i am a wuss or something of that nature, im just getting tired of that crap lol...chances are most of these people wouldnt be able to shift right in the first place when it comes down to a race...and i dont think they should bag on us AT users so much to the point that they dont even know why they call us names.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts