Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased the ashtray replacement storage bin? I'm thinking of doing this and wondered if it do-able without the service center. Mazdastuff.com has it way cheaper and would like to do it my self. Does the swinging door come off? Is this even worth it? I was thinking it would be a good place for my cell phone to lay.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i don't have one. but i want one as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
So basically you just pull out the plastic ashtray and replace it with a similar try that is felt lined? Does it even have the little red-plastic topping which causes the nice red-glow in there?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I think I still might want it, especially cuz felt stops change from rattling. Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't know how much it costs, so if it's cheap then it could be worth it, however, I cut and fitted a thin piece of rubber matting in the bottom of my ashtray and that stops the change from sliding around quite nicely.

You could do the same with a piece of felt or fleece or any other thick-ish fabric I guess and it would serve the same purpose.

What evades me is why they didn't make the slot to the right of the shifter long enough to house pens. It fits a cell phone, which is perhaps it's intended use, but not pens. I keep pens and a tire pressure gauge in my drivers door pocket and they all slide and shift on nearly every corner. Maybe I'll be cutting a fabric or rubber piece to fit that slot next.

·
Registered
724 Posts
stillwater said:
What evades me is why they didn't make the slot to the right of the shifter long enough to house pens. It fits a cell phone, which is perhaps it's intended use, but not pens. I keep pens and a tire pressure gauge in my drivers door pocket and they all slide and shift on nearly every corner. Maybe I'll be cutting a fabric or rubber piece to fit that slot next.
That little slot is for the optional navigation controls. It *would* be nice for a bit larger, but then those who have the navi option might complain ;)

Borrowed from another thread...

holeydonut said:
I saw this array in a pic ...

What feature / package do you need to get these controls?

All I have is a coin tray there :(

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's the controls for the navigation system - not available in Canada.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Is there an echo in here? ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is what I did

1) took the ashtray out
2) took the red plastic window out of the ashtray and glued it over the ashtray light so I got the red glow (easily removed if need be)
3) cut that anti-slip sheet I got from mazda to fit the now "storagized" ashtray - no sliding, no rattling.

saved some bucks :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
BvMazda3... cool on those NAV controls, man!! Kinda wish I'd got that now! Pretty sharp. Is the screen quality good and easy to see while driving in the daytime?

Also, should mention that I kept the actual ashtray insert in the vehicle and I put the rubber in the bottom of that. With the ashtray out, there's a little lip at the top of hte compartment that makes sliding change out of it with your finger very awkward. With the ashtray insert in, they just come out easy.

I'm off to go 'shorter-than-your-average-pen' shopping.

(muttering to self: "damn, shoulda got the nav system... where's that Staples store again?")

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
stillwater said:
BvMazda3... cool on those NAV controls, man!! Kinda wish I'd got that now! Pretty sharp.

(muttering to self: "damn, shoulda got the nav system...
Don't beat yourself up too bad.. it's not like you had a choice. For whatever reason, Mazda decided the largest country on the North American continent didn't need any assistance navigating the roadways... :roll: Maybe that's Mazda's way of saying Americans are idiots that can't read a map! If that's the case, the jokes on us! :rofl:

Seriously though, I wonder if it's possible to buy the nav from a US dealer anyway and have your Canadian dealer install it.... :thinking:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sorry, stillwater - since I too live in Canada I don't have Navi... (borrowed that pic from another thread).

LOL MetalCord!

Installing the Navi would be a major pain in the a$$. You could get a pretty sweet a/m setup (laptop, GPS, etc) for the price of the components...

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
MetalCord said:
I wonder if it's possible to buy the nav from a US dealer anyway and have your Canadian dealer install it.... :thinking:
i dont think the problem is getting it installed. but is there even a canada map program. i know that there isnt one for hawaii.

·
Registered
416 Posts
And that's the issue right there; navigation system maps for Canada aren't exactly robust. A number of car companies advertise straight out that their systems only have maps for major cities.
Why it's so hard to, say, use the same engine and data as Microsoft's Streets and Trips, I don't know. At least then you'd have most of the roads in the country (even if the roads in Hanover, ON aren't named... although since it's a town of 6K people and is laid out in a grid... it's not a breaking issue).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts