Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone changed the light in the ashtray for the '07s? Its a red light if the ashtry is in, but once you take it out, the light is now bright white, and extremely annoying. I think i might just look for a blue colored light gel to put over the white light, but I"m just curious if anyone else is bothered by this light???

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I just close the ashtray door when I don't need to get to what's in there. I keep the garage door opener in there so it's out of sight. Kind of stupid to leave the door open if I want it to be hidden. ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was going the same thing too, but I like to keep my cell in there, and noticed I couldnt hear it when it was ringing...and believe it or not, the white light even shines through the bottom lip when the ashtray door is closed....i seriously would feel comforatable doing brain surgery under the brightness of that light

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If you take out your ashtray, the top has a piece of red plastic that slides out. Put some clear two sided tape on it and stick it in the compartment over the white light. Now you have a red light that matches your dash. Or any color of plastic that you want to use.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i covered it with blue painters tape, seems to work, but will the tape be able to withstand the heat of the bulb?

G

·
0 Posts
I, too removed the ashtray for more stirage space (cell phone, etc).

Since I usually notice I'm getting a call from the light turning on within the phone screen (radio is usually up), the white light drowns that out. So I would also like to know how to change that bulb if possible to something cool blue or something mellower.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm waiting for the LEDs I ordered to arrive in the mail. Among them is a blue LED that I'll switch the ashtray light with. I read that it is a T5 (5mm) bulb, and the LED I ordered is a #74 instrument panel LED. Hopefully they'll arrive in the mail tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works!

·
Registered
357 Posts
i use my ashtray for my iPod adapter - so when i have it on at night that stoopid light bugs the hell out of me... so i got an LED from http://autolumination.com and it worked perfectly - the only issue for me was that the blue of this bulb doesn't quite match the blue of my footwell LEDs - but it's way better than that uber bright white light.... anyway, it's on this page ( http://autolumination.com/74.htm ) and here's the description so you can find it....

Introducing the

The Widest, Brightest and Best Leds Ever Made!
Outfitted with the latest Super High-Flux low profile Leds
Designed especially for gauges, and applications requiring a large uniform field of bright light
#74 too small?.....#194 too big?.....This is your bulb:
#24 Only(T6-1/2, T2-1/4) bulbs are 3/4" (17mm) x 5/16 (6.5mm)" diameter

i can't remember if i had to pull that part of the dash out or not - probably... it was super easy tho...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Krupky, did that plug right in without problem? It's slightly bigger than the ones recommended by some of the Aussie forum guys (yours is 6.5mm instead of 5mm). Hmm... we'll see if the ones I ordered will fit when they arrive!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im DEFINITLY not trying to take apart my dash just yet...the car's two weeks old....

think its possible without dash removal?

·
Registered
357 Posts
i hear ya.... i was a little nervous about all this stuff too... but honesty, it's not that hard and not likely that you'll damage your car unless you're a complete fool... at least with this mod anyway - all you have to do is

lift the arm rest up
pull the inside towards the stereo - it should just pop out...
remove a couple of screws near the ashtray
and the ashtray as well as the lightr section should pop out... try wiggling it a little ...

that's it - it's pretty simple! do a sear on removing the center console - i know there's a whole walkthru with photos..

do it - it's easy!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Here's the walkthrough for removing the ashtray. Start from step 9: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=39096.0

You can stop after about step 14 or 15. I don't know if you need to actually remove the light bulb connection to change the bulb.

My LEDs didn't arrive today, so that means they won't arrive until at least next Tuesday. :(

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I figured, since it was on, I might as well use it. I replaced it with a high-wattage halogen and now I rent out the space by the hour - - -

I don't make a lot on the rent, but I really clean up on tanning butter, towels, chairs, personal services, etc. :goodjob:

·
Registered
782 Posts
LOL, what are your rates?

What are those two toggle switches for, one below and one above the ashtray compartment?

OT: every time I see the POS for the Nav I can't help thinking what those letters usually stand for... :p

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Send a pic and we'll talk about rates. :lol:

Left of the seaty-heaty is the bluetooth switch for the phone. On the console is the aux jack for the iPod and the switch for the FM modulator.

·
Registered
782 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts