Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my Halogen lamps for something a little brighter and cooler looking, but not obnoxious. I'm thinking of getting the Sylvania silverstars....or cool blue?....any suggestions.

Also, is there a post on how to remove the headlights?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not looking to go HID yet, just because I just got the car, and am running low on cash. Will those lights be at least better than the ones i've got from stock?

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
yeah they are better then stock

i dont think you have to take out the whole headlight assembly to change the bulbs

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It's just the plug, the rubber cover, and the retention clip. I can take some pics if you'd like, don't think I've seen it on here.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTHENTIC-JAPAN-MTEC-H7-4X-TYPE-SUPER-WHITE-HID-BULB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ015QQitemZ250074677432

Few people run mtec in their fog lights to match their HID. The bulbs in the link are 4X, and they consume 100W. I am not sure if the car can handle it. They do have 2x which consume 55W.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAPA...emQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ015QQitemZ250075683452

It'd be nice to see pics if anyone has these installed or have any experience with them.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I had the silverstars, they were a little whiter and brighter than stock, but one burned out only 6 months after installing. I have since upgraded to Apexcone 6k and the difference is unbelievable. I could never go back to halogens after having xenons.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This is on the driver's side, it's right in front to the fuse box.

Here is the low beam plug.

Grab hold of the tabs, and pull it out.

Loosen up the rubber cover buy using the tabs to pull it free.

Without the cover.

That is the retention clip. Push it down and out, then lift it up to release the bulb. After that, you should be able to pull it right out and replace.

Putting back the clip is a little hard, but it's pretty easy once I decided to use a flathead to push it back down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
here are the silverstars:

Here are the mtecs cosmo blues:

in my opinion i like the mtecs over the silverstars and would recommend them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
no they are halogen, just plug and play. They omit about the same light as stock, but at a much bluer/whiter look. (in my opinion they look like hid, blue, but not fake blue) And they are at the stock 55w, so you dont have to worry about melting etc.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
-1 for the silverstars.

I had them, and they looked alright, but the first bulb only lasted about 6 months. Then the second burned out one night before I could even replace them. Thank goodness for fogs... :?

thexenonstore.com has some HID-match sets that people have seemed reasonably happy with, for only about 20 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I found this topic because I wanted some picture guides to changing the lights. Well, I bought the Sylvania Silverstar HID look-alikes.

I like em'. The color isn't AS noticeable from the factory lights but it's enough to see a difference. And these are like true whites rather than a hint of purple or blue. At least from the 30 minutes I drove at night.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I put the Silverstar in shortly after I bought the car, I liked the cleaner white light but they burnt out in just a few months and I've had the stock bulbs back in for 1.5 years now.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yeah, I just plan on getting HIDs because of the lifetime warranty, and I don't think they go out every 6 months.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well after a couple of nights it's actually noticeably different from stock lights. Silverstar isn't so bad although it's so soft white that often times in night city driving, at certain parts of the roads you ask yourself if your lights are even on because it spreads the lights out so nicely. It actually seems to light up the road better than stock.

I'm waiting for these to burn out from some of the other replies they go quick maybe. Once they do i'm going to seek some other options. Projections are nice, my Mazda3 isn't for keeps much more than 2 years so I don't want to invest in fancy lighting for now 8)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts