Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install 1 or 2 JL subs for my 07 maz3. Is the head-unit sub ready, or do I need to install a new unit? (I really wouldnt like to).

Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was told it could be done, but they recommend adding a part on to the HU for more juice.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i understand it takes wiring. I'm asking if I'll need to buy a new HU, or will the stock one work (in controlling the sub levels, etc).

·
Registered
293 Posts
it can control bass and trebel not really much more then that your amp should be able to fine tune it or a crossover would do the trick to

·
Registered
611 Posts
you need an LOC to provide low level inputs for your amplifier
You need an amplifier.

Your HU will controll Bass and Treble, theres no adjustment for mids. You should consider an amp w/ remote bass control

You should also do some searches.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Or you can disconnect the rear speaker like I have, use the fader to adjust the sub, with a line output converter. But you really don't need remote control at all because once you have the sub volume correctly adjusted, you should just leave it alone.

If you have good components in front, you don't need the rears. However, if you have the budget, there are good reasons to replace the head unit altogether.

I am probably getting a substantial raise in pay in the next few weeks, so I may consider replacing the HU if that happens.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
agreed, but i just think it looks way too sleek right now, to start messing with the front dash...thanks for all your help tho!

oh, also...anyone know where i can get a custom box made? I'm looking to put a small box over the right wheel, to save space, and it also looks nice, ive seen it done in a few RSX's

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you are looking for sub control, best answer would be an after-market head unit.
Most come feature packed now.
You can control the sub without affecting the rest of the system (i.e. fade or the loss of speakers).

As for the custom sub box... are they also referred as stealth boxes??? If so, they are all over the forum. Nothing custom I've seen at Crutchfield, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts