Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow AP Stage1 users,

I am tired of the Stage2 guys/gals posting about their maps. Whether it be good or bad I would like to see more posts about stage1 users. So, just post your opinions about the map you are using. If it is possible, post some data logs, since we have the capablilty of doing so. This thread is intended to be informational to other stage1 users and other forum members who would like to explore other aspects, other than stage2.

Thank you. :)

2008jayspeed3:
It was 45degrees today, so I decided to upload the final version of the stage1 +SF 93 v103 map. I drove throughout the the day with the new map. A total of about two hours, before doing the log. I would have to say the the final version is pretty good. No noticable change from v103r Beta, but v103r Beta kicked ass. From what I saw from the logs spiking seems to be under controll. Boost holds around 18.2 psi, like is should, then tapers to 16psi around redline. Knock retard seems to to be ok, except for my day run in 5th gear, but the night run calmed my fears. Fuel pressure, air/fuel ratio, ltft, and stft all seem to be ok. My final opion about v103 map is it is great. The guys at Cobb tweaked the neccesary areas to make it excellent. If I did not have a preview of this final map from the beta, then I would says that this map would have blown my mind. If stage1 maps have been this great, I can not wait till spring to go to stage2.

I have attached the graphs from v103r vs. v103.

Engine Mods:
Cobb AccessPort(Stage1+SF v103), Cobb SF Short Ram Intake, Synapse Synchronic BOV(100% recirc.), RPMC Motorsports Turbo Inlet,
StreetUnit Silicone Boost Tubes, Redline MT-90 Gear Oil, Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil 5w30, Denso Iridium Spark Plugs(ITV22)

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Great timing! I just happened to do my very first datalogging run tonight with the Stage 1+SF 93 103 map.

Here's two runs I did. Both were in 4th gear, WOT:

I should add the fact that I had only recently put the map on the car (~5 miles), so the ECU may still be in the 'learning' phase.

What do you all think? I see that KR looks a little high (4.95!) in the 2nd run right at the point where I lifted off the throttle. Is that normal?

·
Registered
99 Posts
You need to give it between 50-100 miles to learn the fuel trims before you go WOT. I don't like your fuel pressure drop and your KR is on the borderline. You went rich on that last run when your KR spiked. Reflash the map, drive normal without WOT for a couple days and then get on it and re-log.

I'm running Stage1+SF 93 on my 09 MS3 and am very happy except the jerky/touchy throttle in third gear. Driving at WOT or with no boost is great, but partial throttle acceleration can be jerky at times. Anyone else seeing this?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I recently tried the final Stage 1 91 v1.03 on my 100% stock vehicle and it was spiking to 22.1 psi in 3rd gear. Working with Cobb to try and fix it. I do not have a datalog as I am not running the map on the car when it is doing that.

During the Beta phase, this map never went past rev a, so I do not know if anyone really ever did test it before final release.

One thing though, it had no knock at full throttle, even when spiking.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
cataphract, what you're seeing at WOT is definitely not normal. do you have one step colder spark plugs gapped to 0.026-0.028? this is important because you're running higher boost levels than stock, and if your plugs are running too hot, it can cause detonation, which can lead to knock.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Can someone comment on the difference from stock -> stg 1+SF v103 ? I'm seriously considering getting an AP with some of my tax return but I don't really plan to take my car much past what it is right now (stage1).

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
stock power dies at 5500 ap stage 1+ you have power until redline. On the the 103 93 octane maps I have trouble keeping traction in third gear to do a log. Second gear is just wheel spin city. The difference is night and day and definately worth the money. The ap got a bad rap because the earlier maps sucked. Cobb finally figured out the complicated ecu and now the maps are very aggressive. I would bet that you get more power from an ap now than you would from a dp. I know I will get shit for saying that but I think its true.

·
Registered
994 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=134195.msg2885127#msg2885127 date=1232722229]
stock power dies at 5500 ap stage 1+ you have power until redline. On the the 103 93 octane maps I have trouble keeping traction in third gear to do a log. Second gear is just wheel spin city. The difference is night and day and definately worth the money. The ap got a bad rap because the earlier maps sucked. Cobb finally figured out the complicated ecu and now the maps are very aggressive. I would bet that you get more power from an ap now than you would from a dp. I know I will get shit for saying that but I think its true.
[/quote]

exactly what I was looking for, I've been monitoring threads about it through the revisions but I wasn't sure if it was worth it. I'm not interested in getting a DP atm so looks like AP it is.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
[quote author=pidass link=topic=134195.msg2885149#msg2885149 date=1232722620]exactly what I was looking for, I've been monitoring threads about it through the revisions but I wasn't sure if it was worth it. I'm not interested in getting a DP atm so looks like AP it is.
[/quote]

make sure to remember to get one step colder plugs and gap them to 0.026-0.028. the new maps run significantly higher boost than stock, so you need the colder plugs to prevent detonation, which can cause knock.

·
Registered
994 Posts
[quote author=Sacrilicious link=topic=134195.msg2885160#msg2885160 date=1232722885]
[quote author=pidass link=topic=134195.msg2885149#msg2885149 date=1232722620]exactly what I was looking for, I've been monitoring threads about it through the revisions but I wasn't sure if it was worth it. I'm not interested in getting a DP atm so looks like AP it is.
[/quote]

make sure to remember to get one step colder plugs and gap them to 0.026-0.028. the new maps run significantly higher boost than stock, so you need the colder plugs to prevent detonation, which can cause knock.
[/quote]

Which ones are the ones that come pre-gapped to our specs, is it NGK?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
[quote author=pidass link=topic=134195.msg2885290#msg2885290 date=1232726186]
[quote author=Sacrilicious link=topic=134195.msg2885160#msg2885160 date=1232722885]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Which ones are the ones that come pre-gapped to our specs, is it NGK?
[/quote]

Denso ITV22

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Here is a stock log not from my car.

and here is stage 1+ sri 93 octane

Both were done in cold weather, notice how the stock ecu pulls back boost and the a/f ratio dips into the 9's. You can definately feel the difference and It is my belief that the ap tunes are safer. All that extra fuel the stock tune dumps is bad for the emissions system. I had my purge valve replaced four times in 10,000 miles before the ap and not once since after 12,000 miles. Knock on wood of course.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Stage 1+MSCAI2 93oct v103 final 4th gear pull. Car is mad quick :p

I did a few 3rd-5th gear pulls last night with no cut, and left my buddies '95 SVT Lightening like it was a Civic. But, I got home and looked at the logs, and my fuel pump is not keeping up in 3rd gear consistently. Also, I think my AFR is a little too lean, but only 20 miles on the log I posted. I have about 80 miles on the map now, and am loving it. Fuel pump will come if it doesn't improve with warmer weather.

·
Registered
692 Posts
[quote author=Sacrilicious link=topic=134195.msg2885000#msg2885000 date=1232717569]
cataphract, what you're seeing at WOT is definitely not normal. do you have one step colder spark plugs gapped to 0.026-0.028? this is important because you're running higher boost levels than stock, and if your plugs are running too hot, it can cause detonation, which can lead to knock.
[/quote]

No, I do not have the step colder plugs.

I let off the accel pedal (completely!) at about 5570 RPM, you can see that by the huge drop in boost. The fuel pressure doesn't drop until then.

I've uploaded a slightly modified verison of the second log - you can see that the AFR plateaus:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Data logs to come

AP stage 1+ MSCAI2 1.02. I am waiting for warm weather and to collect a few more 1.02 logs before I go 1.03. At this point it seems like all the gains that stage 2 yields come with a cost of even more parts needed. I am liking the power now anyway.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
[quote author=Cataphract_40 link=topic=134195.msg2885764#msg2885764 date=1232737199]No, I do not have the step colder plugs.

I let off the accel pedal (completely!) at about 5570 RPM, you can see that by the huge drop in boost. The fuel pressure doesn't drop until then.
[/quote]

ya, get yourself some denso itv22 plugs from SU or something. you're definitely asking for trouble if you leave the knock at WOT like this.

·
Registered
692 Posts
[quote author=Sacrilicious link=topic=134195.msg2885770#msg2885770 date=1232737427]
[quote author=Cataphract_40 link=topic=134195.msg2885764#msg2885764 date=1232737199]No, I do not have the step colder plugs.

[/quote]

ya, get yourself some denso itv22 plugs from SU or something. you're definitely asking for trouble if you leave the knock at WOT like this.
[/quote]

Like these?

http://www.streetunit.com/DENSO_IRIDIUM_SPARK_PLUGS_MS3_MS6_CX_7_p/itv22.htm

It says here that "*These plugs are set to factory gap out of the box.*" but then says that the gap is .030 - .032. Huh?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The factory gap is .030-.032, but cobb recommends a tighter gap for running the ap maps. The denso plugs actually come pre-gapped to .028 which is exactly what cobb is calling for. Just make sure the gaps are correct when you get them.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts