Mazda3 Forums banner

Anyone Using Just Half of a CAI?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  BigTrucker 
#1 ·
Just a quick question for those of you with CAI's. On one of my previous cars, 99 Acura Integra, I bought a CAI and was able to use half of the tubing for a short-ram intake effect during the cold/sloppy months here in MN. Just curious if anyone with a 2-piece CAI has done this, or if anyone knows if its possible. Thanks in advance for the help!

Joe

#6 ·
Technically, the F2 is a two-piece intake, so theoretically you could remove the bottom half of the tubing and slap a filter on it. In practice, however, the intake is only secured at two points: the hose that connects it to the throttle body, and a small mounting bracket on the lower piece. So, effectively, you'd just have a hunk of tubing and a filter hanging off the TB, free to flop around with every bump and jolt of the engine--not so desirable, IMO More practically, I think someone had tried running the F2 without the lower piece, and the MAF sensor didn't seem to like it very much.

I don't believe Simota's Twin Charger (which is currently under a GB for $95 :shock:) is convertible to an SRI, as it appears to mount similarly to the F2. K&N's Typhoon does for sure, though, but it's a bit on the pricey side IMO.

Josh (mazdamn02) and I both have the F2 and are thoroughly satisfied. It's a bit hard to find sometimes, but it comes bundled with a hydroshield pre-filter that seems to do a very nice job of protecting the filter element against any spray or slop that gets up in there.

#7 ·
I belive all of the 2 piece intakes can be converted to a SRI. The only problem is that the filter element is usually fairly large and finding a safe spot to mount it away from all of the high heat parts is tough. The last thing you want is to burn a hole or wreck your filter because you have it sitting on a rad hose. Also, as dmention7 said, finding a good spot to secure it could be a bit tricky too.

If you buy a hydroshield and/or splash guard you should be good for any type of weather with a CAI. I have had mine in for almost 2 full years now and haven't had any problems yet.

#9 ·
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=67068.msg1151632#msg1151632 date=1168921398]
Technically, the F2 is a two-piece intake, so theoretically you could remove the bottom half of the tubing and slap a filter on it. In practice, however, the intake is only secured at two points: the hose that connects it to the throttle body, and a small mounting bracket on the lower piece. So, effectively, you'd just have a hunk of tubing and a filter hanging off the TB, free to flop around with every bump and jolt of the engine--not so desirable, IMO More practically, I think someone had tried running the F2 without the lower piece, and the MAF sensor didn't seem to like it very much.

I don't believe Simota's Twin Charger (which is currently under a GB for $95 :shock:) is convertible to an SRI, as it appears to mount similarly to the F2. K&N's Typhoon does for sure, though, but it's a bit on the pricey side IMO.

Josh (mazdamn02) and I both have the F2 and are thoroughly satisfied. It's a bit hard to find sometimes, but it comes bundled with a hydroshield pre-filter that seems to do a very nice job of protecting the filter element against any spray or slop that gets up in there.
[/quote]

Great information! You are also from MN, so I have a little more confidence in using this year round now.

#10 ·
[quote author=BigTrucker link=topic=67068.msg1152048#msg1152048 date=1168957583]
I belive all of the 2 piece intakes can be converted to a SRI. The only problem is that the filter element is usually fairly large and finding a safe spot to mount it away from all of the high heat parts is tough. The last thing you want is to burn a hole or wreck your filter because you have it sitting on a rad hose. Also, as dmention7 said, finding a good spot to secure it could be a bit tricky too.

If you buy a hydroshield and/or splash guard you should be good for any type of weather with a CAI. I have had mine in for almost 2 full years now and haven't had any problems yet.
[/quote]

Again, great info and a good reassurance I should not have any issues. Thanks! Out of curiosity, which intake are you using? As dmention7 is using the F2, I am curious about the other models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.