Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had interest in it, but never had a video camera (still don't really), but have begun shooting video since I got my D300s

I just wanted to start a thread to maybe bring some videographers together, maybe learn some tips and tricks from everyone.

Relatively new to video, okay, I'm actually super new, am using After Effects, know some basics, that's about it.
Anyways, here is basically where I'm at with video (not much lol)

·
Registered
20,395 Posts
I don't know much about making video, but as a viewer, I want the music to be less intrusive in a car video. I wanted to hear more car sounds in the Rolex video. It was also a little bit long.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah; was a super long day though lol!

I only used a third of the footage about.

Main problem with running sound on the first scene of the Rolex video is A it was so windy the mic was almost useless, B sometimes I just had the mic off because I knew it wouldn't pick up much.. so I just ran it without sound to make it more simple.
For the second scene, it was still to loud and not enough car sound, I will say yes I wish there was more there too; but after rendering the video for a 5th or so time (which took around 40 minutes per render ontop of modifying one tiny thing) I just got sick of it and finished it up lol, I was impatient.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a really good shotgun mic, but I don't have a deadcat for it which I need to make one; since the real ones made for it cost like $50 which is insane for some faux fur.

It's fine for slight wind, but it was so windy, that whole section of one of the guys not landing it, a lot of it had in part to do with how windy it was lol; being down in that bowl I didn't feel it, once I got out I was like holy crap it is windy! lol

I just hadn't gotten around to making one yet.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hey man I'm into video too. I use final cut studio and plan on going to school to (hopefully) get a job as an editor.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=R3d Baron link=topic=185018.msg3914345#msg3914345 date=1295840986]
I guess just being picky about when to shoot and facing the camera/mic downwind would help too.
[/quote]

Yeah; I don't have much control over that; since it's shotgun, facing forward is pretty much the only way if you want to get the correct sound of action; backwards does help (when I shot one of my first videos of my car) I had it backwards and it worked great and picked up little wind; but it was still technically facing the "correct" direction which was backwards towards the exhaust.

But I 100% agree with you; sound makes or breaks a video (and song choice if there is any music); hard to get right.. just doing the best I can lol; when I make a deadcat it should improve it considerably though.

[quote author=michaelallaire7 link=topic=185018.msg3914368#msg3914368 date=1295843261]
Hey man I'm into video too. I use final cut studio and plan on going to school to (hopefully) get a job as an editor.
[/quote]

Sweet! Best of luck and wishes towards that! It's been fun doing it; I typically lament going through and editing a bunch of pictures, sometimes it's fun, but doing video has been treating me well so far!

·
Registered
583 Posts
ya video is super fun to edit I could do it for hours.

·
Registered
583 Posts
[quote author=XCNuse link=topic=185018.msg3914095#msg3914095 date=1295811185]
yesterday:

still no one?
hmm..
[/quote]

saw that u did some skating, i dug through my channel and found one of my better edits from when i used to skate :lol:

4.20 sesh

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Band of Horses! Good call; I haven't listened to them to much recently, love their music though.

lol love the intro; why? because I have a video somewhere around of the same damn moth doing the same junk to us! lol

When you used to skate? Don't give it up!

One of my skating friends (one of the actual good ones down here of the few) transferred but he got a Casio Exilim EX-FH25 to shoot slow motion; I've gotten to the point where slow motion is pretty gimmicky to me; he's shot some footage with it since he's had it and put it up on youtube and EVVVVERYTHING is slowed down to minimumly 60 frames a second which is obnoxious. He wants to get into video, lol he thinks he can handle critique well, but he can't at all lol; he keeps doing indoor videos so the lights flicker, it's dark.. and it's all in slow motion haha, he'll learn one day.. hopefully lol.

However, it is fun/interesting to see GOOD slow motion videos; check out the user ashomsky on youtube, he does skate videos, but he has an amazing (by amazing I mean stupid expensive) professional slow motion camera.

I'm just trying to use my knowledge in graphic design and photography to steady out my video; just keep it simple, clean, composition for me is a hard one, I think it's because I'm shooting action and that's pretty much impossible to organize a composition since everything is moving all of the time!
Don't get me wrong though, I love special effects, not cheesy ones, but it isn't something I'm doing (yet?). I saw a cool commercial last night for some company, guy had an ipad, flicked it into the air and it became a laptop, shut the laptop, swept his hand across the top and it became a cell phone, eventually threw it up against a wall and it became a big screen LCD tv. Cool stuff to say the least; I like effects like that, but.. I've got plenty more to learn before I start joking around in that area.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
nice videos, i got one but youtube deleted the music... and i have been too lazy to upload it again.
i hate the new SLR for their fancy new video mode :(

·
Registered
855 Posts
ill probably make 2 vids this year and ill put them up, my camera is pretty outdated to todays HD but i can get them from the school if they're available. but i know i just was put on a project to edit a skating documentary, and im sure ill do something with my car when i have time

·
Registered
583 Posts
@XCNuse i saw that commercial too! i thought that was pretty good. Im in a graphics design class at school as well, just learning the basics, i know more of video editing tho.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[quote author=rtbrunelle link=topic=185018.msg3914570#msg3914570 date=1295880985]
ill probably make 2 vids this year and ill put them up, my camera is pretty outdated to todays HD but i can get them from the school if they're available. but i know i just was put on a project to edit a skating documentary, and im sure ill do something with my car when i have time
[/quote]
lol yall are going to do that documentary with Flips?!

Is it a black kid that wants to do that documentary? if so he told me about it last semester; It could be nice.. but I think it's going to be a mess, I think I would be better if I never see it :p

@michael; really for video you only need to know some basics in graphic design to make clean. That and I'm sure the graphic design class you're in is WAY better than what my school has to offer lol.

I'm in advanced web design right now (it only gets taught every 4 years so I figured why not) .. NO ONE except myself knew what CSS .. at least stood for, I was like wow this is going to be pathetic.. We have our first functioning page already due tomorrow; it's supposed to be a commemorative site, I'm doing Abe Lincoln :) haha

·
Registered
583 Posts
ya im only taking one semester of it, its more of an art history/recreating classic art class with little photoshop. post the link to ur site when ur done, sounds sick lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts