Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... I was wondering if anybody had polished their stock 17" rims? I'm wanting to do this, but want to see what it looks like. My friend did it on his and said he could do it on mine. I just wanted to see what it would look like beforehand.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Keep in mind that you'll want to clearcoat polished wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, how do you polish the stock rims? What polishing product(s) will I need, and how much time is involved? I would assume that I'd have to remove the tires. What kind of clear-coat would I want. Anyone out there an expert on this? :?:

·
Banned
868 Posts
That's polished, or is that chromed!?

Or even better, can someone explain the difference? Chroming involves plating it, and polishing involves removing paint layers?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Looks dipped in chromie to me, homie.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think that type of treatment makes the wheels look like they're made out of plastic. You know, that cheap coating they put on some toys. (There is always the pimp factor too, but that's just my opinion.)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Polishing is taking a piece of aluminum and, err, polishing it. What you see is aluminum with a clear-coat over it.

Chromed is putting a layer of chrome over the aluminum. What you see is the chrome.

Chroming adds weight to the wheels but it is shinier than polished aluminum.

Personally, I like bright silver paint. I had a set of 5Zigen S08 rims that were painted bright silver and they were stunning.

Rims with color (white, black, anthracite, etc) are difficult to do correctly. Some cars work well with them (blue Civic Si with white rims), but it's easy to make a car look very tacky.

·
Registered
135 Posts
LeeLee said:
Chroming adds weight to the wheels but it is shinier than polished aluminum.
Yep. It can also flake, chip, and pit. Given the choice, I'd take polished over chrome any day.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't agree that you have to clearcoat after your remove your paint and polish. Polished rims are meant to be...polished. Which means yes, you'll have to polish them every once in a while. Clearcoat rims aren't as shiny and the clearcoat won't last, then you'll have to strip and polish and coat again = not fun. Even a factory clearcoat will get crusty after a couple of years. On my explorer I bought clearcoat rims and they're fugly now after 3 years. I'm in the process of stripping and polishing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts