Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought after-market rims for my M3. They have 10 lug holes to fit two different lug patterns. I would like to plug the extra holes and paint the plugs to match the rims. Any suggestions on what material to use for the plug that will bond well to the rim and handle the expansion/contraction as the wheels heat/cool during use? (One Autozone store owner recommended not using Bondo for this but thought paintable silicone window caulking might work). I'd like the result to be as smooth and unnoticable as possible.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
dont do that. if you ever wanted to sell your wheels, you're knocking out 0983097098573 potential buyers. hahahaha.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
paintable silicone window caulking for use in lug holes sounds so ghetto. I wonder what the owner drives =/

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
[quote author=Zodiac link=topic=68490.msg1183813#msg1183813 date=1170460673]
paintable silicone window caulking for use in lug holes sounds so ghetto. I wonder what the owner drives =/
[/quote]

+1 I can't imagine that working out well at all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
[quote author=Zodiac link=topic=68490.msg1183813#msg1183813 date=1170460673]
[/quote]

Don't diss the uber-sweet 2x4 wooden STI wing and checkerplate side skirts man, it's not ghetto, it's called ingenuity

·
Registered
892 Posts
I assume the rims in question are aluminum? Technically you could buy some aluminum round stock, lathe it down to a thousandth or two over the diameter of the holes and beat them in with a hammer.... then polish/paint whatever.

I doubt very much that it would improve the look of the rims enough for it to be worth your time/effort. I say skip it and enjoy your mz3. :-D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a set of Kazera wheels on my 6 for a while that had 10 holes. They included black plastic plugs that fit in the unused lugnut holes. They really cleaned up the look.
Might be worth a shot to contact Tirerack(that's where I got them) or a local tire/wheel shop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Go to your local ACE hardware store.
They have the plastic plugs in white or black in
different diameters in the bulk hardware section ( specialty items)

I used them for 2 years on a set of 10 hole wheels.
the only problem is that you need to buy extras as over time the heat
frrom everyday use will make them hard and they will fall out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Kwan. I will look for plugs as you suggest. Maybe gluing the plugs would help keep them from falling out?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Was at my local ACE and got the part numbers.

Its in Fastener box 58123 ... called nylon hole plug

Black is part # 57131-H

good luck :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Brokenman, J-so, and Kwan. All are good suggestions for finding some plugs. I think I will start with Ace so that I can see the plugs in person. Still wish Bondo or some other filler would work, though, since I'd like best for the holes to just disappear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts