Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only North American on the forum looking at the 2.0? I wish I had the cash for the HB or even the 2.3 sedan, but money's tight after we bought the Explorer for the family vehicle.

If anybody out there has any experience with the 2.0, let's hear about it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm looking at the Canadian GX trim, which is the equivalent of the "i" in the USA, I believe.

So yeah... I'm looking at a 2.0 :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Dugrant. I read your review of the showroom experience. Any updates? Get to drive one (GX)?

I've actually got a dealer about 3/4 mile down the street from where I work. When I get some time, I'll have to set up a test drive. Also have to wait for the snow and ice to clear off the roads so I can actually "drive".

·
Registered
144 Posts

I test drove the 2.0 sedan a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. But think I am going to move up to the 2.3 sport to get a sportier looking car (ie. 17" alloy and side extensions, along with beefer engine).

Good luck.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
cydisc said:
Hey, Dugrant. I read your review of the showroom experience. Any updates? Get to drive one (GX)?

I've actually got a dealer about 3/4 mile down the street from where I work. When I get some time, I'll have to set up a test drive. Also have to wait for the snow and ice to clear off the roads so I can actually "drive".
sorry, no update yet. I haven't had a chance to go out and test drive one. :)
I'd probably have to test drive an activematic, that's for sure... unless someone is willing to let me drive their manual MZ3 ;) hehehe...
but yeah... let me find a free day to test drive a GX... I'll have to see if my local dealer gets one first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Europe we don't even have the 2.3 litre

Hi Cydisc, the 2 litre 150 bhp engine is a fine engine! If you have the manual 5-speed gearbox you won't miss the 2.3 litre! I even believe that the 2.3 with automatic gearbox will have a hard time beating my 2.0 litre manual geared sedan. I mean, the 2.3 has 17 bhp more (that's in Europe I don't know how it is in the States) but the block is more heavy and with a (heavy) automatic gearbox the odds for the 2.0 litre only get better!
You're only problem is that, from what i've read, you can't choose some of the nice extra's on the 2.0 but only on the 2.3. That's a pitty! My ti-gray sedan is fully loaded; xenon, 17 inch alloy, auto climatecontrol, rain- & lightsensors, Park Distance Control, sideskirts, sport front- and rear bumper and trunkspoiler. Except for the Park Distance Control the whole package is standard. Good luck with your choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Love the 2.0

We just picked up a 3i. My philosophy leads me towards lighter cars when possible. The 2.0 is a bit lighter than the 2.3 car, it's a bit cheaper, it subjectively handles a bit better (due to the lighter weight), it gets slightly better fuel economy (albeit very slightly), a bit less to insure...in summary, it's just a bit better than the 2.3 in every category that matters much to me. ;)

Seriously, if the 2.0 felt underpowered we might have considered the 2.3. But it didn't feel underpowered at all, so we're perfectly happy with the smaller of the two.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Before picking up my car, I got to test drive both the 2.0 and the 2.3. The 2.0 isnt that bad. Has more pep than the P5, but certainly the 2.3 has a different feel.

The 2.0 isnt much lighter than the 2.3. Its less than a 100lbs.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'd pick the 2.0, but you get so much more on the 2.3 standard for only about $2500 more.

I went through the spec sheets and made a list of what the 2.3 has over the 2.0. Here it is:

2.3L DOHC 16-Valve inline 4-cylnder engine
Dual Balance shafts
Variable Valve Timing
Sport type front and rear bumpers
Body color sport-type front grille
16-inch alloy wheels
205/55 R16 H-Rated all-season
Halogen fog lights
Clear-lens taillights with silver-color bezels
Dual power remote outside mirrors
Black cloth-trimmed upholstery with red or blue seat inserts
Driver's lever-type seat height adjuster with adjustable lumbar support
Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel
Leather-wrapped shift knob
Gloss black instrument panel trim insert
Silver-color door speaker bezels and glove compartment latch
Black center instrument panel side treatment
Four full-range door mounted speakers and two tweeters
Air conditioning
Gauge illumination dimming control button (for number illumination only)
Electroluminescent gauges (black-out type) with red and blue nighttime illumination
Power windows with driver-side one-touch-down feature
Power door locks with 2-stage unlocking
Centralized door locking feature for both driver and front passenger
Remote keyless illuminated entry system with "answer back" feature
Cruise control with illuminated steering-wheel-mounted controls
Delayed courtesy lights (dual map & dome lights)
Keyless remote panic button on key fob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: In Europe we don't even have the 2.3 litre

" My ti-gray sedan is fully loaded; xenon, 17 inch alloy, auto climatecontrol, rain- & lightsensors, Park Distance Control, sideskirts, sport front- and rear bumper and trunkspoiler. Except for the Park Distance Control the whole package is standard."

What is the Park Distance Control? Obviously something to do with parking, but what is it exactly?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The gloss black instrument panel insert is on the 2.0, carbon fiber-like trim is for the 2.3.

I think park distance control is similar to what is on minivans, to make sure you don't run over objects/children etc. There is an audible signal inside the car that increases in intensity as you get closer to an object/ child/car bumper etc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We just ordered a white fully loaded 2.0 (GS for Canadian model with sunroof and the lot). The main reason for choosing 2.0 is the beige/tan interior! It looks so good that even there is no price different between a fully loaded 2.0 and base 2.3, we choose the 2.0... A lighter interior actually cheers up your day!

Don't know why Mazda don't offer beige/tan on the 2.3 model...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
black is more sporty, I suppose.
but yeah... the tan interior looks really good too :) cuz it's mixed with black dash :) hehehe

it's a good interior :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Re: Love the 2.0

margomaps said:
We just picked up a 3i. My philosophy leads me towards lighter cars when possible. The 2.0 is a bit lighter than the 2.3 car, it's a bit cheaper, it subjectively handles a bit better (due to the lighter weight), it gets slightly better fuel economy (albeit very slightly), a bit less to insure...in summary, it's just a bit better than the 2.3 in every category that matters much to me. ;)

Seriously, if the 2.0 felt underpowered we might have considered the 2.3. But it didn't feel underpowered at all, so we're perfectly happy with the smaller of the two.
The 2.0 feels like an unbalanced four banger. The first dealer I went to let me and the wife take one of their 2.0s to pick up my 2000 Max so they can look at it for the trade in and I thought the engine was crappy.. It sounds like sh!t at idle, it vibrates when accelerating. The only reason why I would get the 2.0 is if I was short on cash... But then I would rather wait a couple of months to get my finance straight than to buy the 3i. Its not about the power, its about the 2.3's balance shafts and variable valves. It is a smooth engine...

·
Registered
233 Posts
The 2.3 sure is more smooth and quieter due to the balance shaft. But the balance shaft also robes some power from the engine... The Nissan QR25DE (Sentra SE-R and Spec-V as well as Altima 2.5) has a balance shaft as well and by removing it, people recover 7-8 whp! There also is another issue: the balance shaft is running twice of the rpm and it may impose a long term relaiblity problem if you redline all the time...

I come from the Nissan family and these issues may not apply to the Mazda engine but here're something to share.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/december02/ask_sarah/

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know about the 2.0L that was driven that felt unbalance and harsh :? , but mine is pretty smooth. 2 friends of mine at work (1 own a 2003 v6 Altima and the other a 2003 Accord 4cylinder) thought the car was really smooth. The guy with the Accord even went so far as to say it has a better engine than his Accord. The 2.3L is more naturally unbalance that is why there are balance shaft to cancel vibration. There is also the reliabilty in question of a engine with balance shaft rotating at twice the rpm if it is taken to the higher rpm limits often.
Check out www.ajac.ca for performance data, the 2.0L outperforms the 2.3L. These are real world test (unlike car & driver) , the numbers are exactly inline with European test. Also look up Phil Bailey's automobile world for article on 3. :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
bman said:
I don't know about the 2.0L that was driven that felt unbalance and harsh :? , but mine is pretty smooth. 2 friends of mine at work (1 own a 2003 v6 Altima and the other a 2003 Accord 4cylinder) thought the car was really smooth. The guy with the Accord even went so far as to say it has a better engine than his Accord. The 2.3L is more naturally unbalance that is why there are balance shaft to cancel vibration. There is also the reliabilty in question of a engine with balance shaft rotating at twice the rpm if it is taken to the higher rpm limits often.
Check out www.ajac.ca for performance data, the 2.0L outperforms the 2.3L. These are real world test (unlike car & driver) , the numbers are exactly inline with European test. Also look up Phil Bailey's automobile world for article on 3. :D
AHHAHAHAHAHAA LOL!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
n1smo said:
bman said:
AHHAHAHAHAHAA LOL!!!!! :lol:
And your point is???

1 - 20 of 82 Posts