Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was promised a wing spoiler for my Mazda3 at COST by my finance guy.

Of course the prick changed his story even though I had a witness in the room with me as we discussed it clearly. I wanted it in writing, but of course Mr. Finance Guy insisted i would get it at cost, "don't worry about it, just contact me".

Riiiiight.

So, now I wanna fight this. What IS cost anyways?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Go to the parts department and look at the computer screen. They'll have 3 prices listed: MSRP, trade, and cost. You know what MSRP is. Trade price is what an independent garage or another dealership buys it for. Cost is...well...cost!

Then you'll have to figure in reasonable amount of money for attaching it to your car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not so sure they'd let me just look at their computer screen like that.
After market stuff like spoilers are jacked up ridiculously high and they know it.. not something they want to advertise. Heck, look at their Bose system.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I'd assume because Mazda starts with a "M," the model is a"3" and its a wing/spoiler. M3 wing. Make sense?

·
Registered
12 Posts
When a salesman, finance guy, etc. says you get it at cost, he means you'll get it for whatever it costs you to get it. Next time get it in writing. If he won't put it in writing, be afraid; there's a reason. If you're afraid you'll hurt his feelings, just tell him a story about you/your friend/your mom getting screwed on their last purchase because it wasn't in writing.

As far as what cost is: the MSRP is $375 and the S plan price is $300 which is basically dealer price. That's installed at the factory. They probably need to paint it, drill it, and mount it, so $445 is pretty close to cost.

I have the wing and love it. The back end of the 3 is too dull without it. The only problem is that it cuts off some visibility out the back.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great to hear that the $445 is a good deal!

Hmm.. visibility, eh.. I drive with the seat at the very lowest it goes... strange since I am a short girl, but it just feels right to do that. Need to go to a lot and sit behind the wheel of one with the spoiler already on. Thank you for that head's up.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
[quote author=gidgeyy link=topic=66881.msg1191398#msg1191398 date=1170820686]
Great to hear that the $445 is a good deal!

Hmm.. visibility, eh.. I drive with the seat at the very lowest it goes... strange since I am a short girl, but it just feels right to do that. Need to go to a lot and sit behind the wheel of one with the spoiler already on. Thank you for that head's up.
[/quote]
I guess it's a moot point by now, but IMO $445 for the spoiler is NOT a good deal.

Bought mine from a seller on e-bay a little over a year ago for just$49 (spoiler) + $50 (painted to match) + $23 for shipping via FedEx ground.

As far as I can tell mine looks exactly like the factory ones and the paint quality is excellent.

Also...although the spoiler does interfere w/rear visability a bit, on the other hand I also like the fact that it helps block out a lot of glare created by headlights of following vehicles at night. Of course how much is blocked can depend on how tall you are, where the seat height is and how high the headlights are on following vehicles.

Although I really like what it adds to the look of the rear of the car, I wouldn't have been willing to pay $450+ for one. Also noticed a lip spoiler on a MZ6 just the other day and have to say I also like what it does for the rear of the 6 as well as the raised spoilers I've seen on them. Kinda classy, but subtle. Don't recall seeing a lip spoiler on a MZ3 "in the flesh" though. Have only seen pictures of a few MZ3 sedans w/them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't gotten the spoiler yet. Even at $400+ I think that's ridiculous for a wing. I dunno. It's seems like a huge rip off. I wonder if I should just go the ebay route. How much did you pay Mazda for installation (assuming)? because that's 1 thing I would never install myself or get installed unprofessionally.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
[quote author=gidgeyy link=topic=66881.msg1220923#msg1220923 date=1172072538]
I haven't gotten the spoiler yet. Even at $400+ I think that's ridiculous for a wing. I dunno. It's seems like a huge rip off. I wonder if I should just go the ebay route. How much did you pay Mazda for installation (assuming)? because that's 1 thing I would never install myself or get installed unprofessionally.
[/quote]
Here's a link I found to the same seller I bought mine from in Dec. '05. He's even lowered the price to $89 for the spoiler (painted to match) + $25 shipping = $114.00. I paid $99 + $23 = $122 for mine. Of course there are other sellers on e-bay and plenty of other vendors who sell spoilers and other accessories on the net. Just do a search for "spoiler" or "mazda 3 spoiler", etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZD...8QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33638QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Coincidentally, the car in the image is identical to mine (white MZ3i). I mounted the spoiler by myself. Although it wasn't particularly hard, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you have the proper tools, some experience and sufficient nerve to drill holes in your trunk! The package included strips to help position the spoiler and mark the holes to be drilled, a mounting gasket for the spoiler, tube of sealant to prevent rust, all hardware and instructions.

Also expect a local body shop would probably mount it for $50 or less. Everything needed to do the job except for a drill and drill bits is included in the package. Just call around for estimates and the body shop know you'll provide all parts and would only need for them to perform the installation.

Good luck! :)

Carey
P.S. The seller also offers at least two lip spoilers for the MZ3. Before ordering click on the link to his store. I found a very small/subtle one on page 1 for $32 and a larger one mounted on a silver MZ3 sedan on page 2 for $99.

Note that the smaller one is mounted with double-sided tape and wouldn't require drilling holes in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
[quote author=Funky link=topic=66881.msg1232866#msg1232866 date=1172489788]
Now aside from the looks, does the wing help at all with the aerodynamics at higher speeds?

Funky
[/quote]
At legal speeds I can't tell any difference...can't say whether it hurts or helps at illegal speeds. Also couldn't tell any difference in my gas mileage before and after.

This is primarily a cosmetic accessory. I just like what it does for the looks of the rear of the car, both when viewed from the rear and from the side. Of course, this comes down to a matter of personal preference....

·
Registered
487 Posts
The reason I'm asking is that I go on long 400 mile drives quite often. Since most of these trips are overnight, they're barely done at legal speeds :wink:. Heck my M3's sweet spot seems to be around 100. I know these forums are not to encourage dangerous driving behavior, and I don't think anybody would consider a 65 mile stretch of straight and level traffic less speeding really dangerous. However, has anybody tested them at higher-than-legal ranges? say around 100-120mph ?

Funky

1 - 20 of 37 Posts