Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked a couple shops around the OC and since removing cats is illegal, they wont do it. Anyone know a shop that will do it? I just wanna remove the 2nd cat and put in a race pipe. Thanks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
the test pipe is really really easy to put in. Jack the car up, a few bolts, boom. your done. That is if you have the test pipe.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=peeaanuut link=topic=137309.msg2960447#msg2960447 date=1235578981]
the test pipe is really really easy to put in. Jack the car up, a few bolts, boom. your done. That is if you have the test pipe.
[/quote]
yea but doesnt the exhaust have to be cut after the resonator, then the end of the test pipe welded at the end of the resonator? i have a custom exhaust but i have both cats and the stock resonator.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I'm catless but did it myself.

The test pipe I have is flanged on one end. This is the side that connects to the flange on the flex pipe.

The other end is just flared to slip over the other end of the exhaust pipe and the use of a CLAMP makes the seal.

No welding was necessary.

To cut the stock exhaust I used a sawzall.

I just get hints of hydrocarbon smell every once in while if I have all the windows down. For the most part, I think the car is still putting out cleaner air than a lot of old cars... heh

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=137309.msg2963782#msg2963782 date=1235688996]
I'm catless but did it myself.

The test pipe I have is flanged on one end. This is the side that connects to the flange on the flex pipe.

The other end is just flared to slip over the other end of the exhaust pipe and the use of a CLAMP makes the seal.

No welding was necessary.

To cut the stock exhaust I used a sawzall.

I just get hints of hydrocarbon smell every once in while if I have all the windows down. For the most part, I think the car is still putting out cleaner air than a lot of old cars... heh
[/quote]
do you have an aftermarket exhaust? see i have a custom exhaust that still consist of the stock 2nd cat-piping-resonator. everything after the resonator is 2.25" custom piping and a vibrant muffler and vibrant tip. also i dont have access to a sawzall...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have the F2 exhaust with race pipe and vibrant header.

Sounds like you need some custom straight piping done to replace the stock cat and resonator? You may need to find a small privately owned muffler shop that works for cash under the table.

I'd call places and say that I would pay in cash and don't need a receipt or warranty for some work to be done on an off-road vehicle.

Note, that I'm not trying to endorse catless operation I am just giving you tips in case you are building an off-road race car. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=137309.msg2971242#msg2971242 date=1236028688]
I have the F2 exhaust with race pipe and vibrant header.

Sounds like you need some custom straight piping done to replace the stock cat and resonator? You may need to find a small privately owned muffler shop that works for cash under the table.

I'd call places and say that I would pay in cash and don't need a receipt or warranty for some work to be done on an off-road vehicle.

Note, that I'm not trying to endorse catless operation I am just giving you tips in case you are building an off-road race car. :)
[/quote]
well i wanna keep my resonator just delete the second cat. guess i'm gonna have to just keep calling around then :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts