Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to replace both of my front wheel bearings and hubs. driverside wore out the bearing and hub after 50 000km and the passenger side went after 62 000km. Not to mention when they changed the passenger side bearings they bent the brake tabs that the brakes bolt to on the spindal and the have to replace that to. And also the 4th set af brake pads and on my third set of front rotors.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Sounds like you are having some serious issues. You mentioned in another thread that the inner pads were worn to hell where as the outer pads had very little wear. This sounds like a siezed calpier pin and this can cause undue force on the wheel bearing as the rotor is only getting pressure from a single side. I hope you find a different dealer or shop to take your car to.
-Matt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=70860.msg1243776#msg1243776 date=1172843610]
Sounds like you are having some serious issues. You mentioned in another thread that the inner pads were worn to hell where as the outer pads had very little wear. This sounds like a siezed calpier pin and this can cause undue force on the wheel bearing as the rotor is only getting pressure from a single side. I hope you find a different dealer or shop to take your car to.
-Matt
[/quote]Matt
when the dealer did the brakes they never lubed the caliper pins or the brake pad slides
-Paul

·
Registered
754 Posts
Unless you're doing a lot of track days, it sounds like your brakes are dragging so badly that everything is overheating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=rpn453 link=topic=70860.msg1244572#msg1244572 date=1172862695]
Unless you're doing a lot of track days, it sounds like your brakes are dragging so badly that everything is overheating.
[/quote]No no track days just normal driving rotors really feel warped after a long trip

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just found out that my vibration and noise problem all this time was never from tires or a bent rim, its because both my front hub and wheel bearings are shot. Luckily car is still under warranty and dealer said they will replace under warranty if this is infact the problem. My trusted mechanic says it is, and I believe him. I will update tomorrow if this is in fact the problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dealer just called.

I've got a bad front right wheel bearing and they will replace under warranty. So to those with persistant road noise, have the dealer check the wheel bearings. Or better yet, have an independent mechanic check the bearings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=Spunky link=topic=70860.msg1254516#msg1254516 date=1173297887]
Dealer just called.

I've got a bad front right wheel bearing and they will replace under warranty. So to those with persistant road noise, have the dealer check the wheel bearings. Or better yet, have an independent mechanic check the bearings.
[/quote]just a warning the when they replace the bearring that they don't bend the brake mounts on the spindal like the did on mine and the other bearing might go soon to. First one went in june and the other one went last month.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Spunky - What did the noise sound like before you had the wheel bearings/hubs checked and found out they were bad? I am getting a odd noise from my right front side, and it sounds like the car is driving through a wind tunnel (no its isn't wind noise...lol - it is sort of 'higher pitched' than normal road noise), and also with that comes an intermittent lower pitched/rumble sound based on how the tire rotates. Not sure if it is related but when the car is slowing down it doesn't seem as smooth and is much noisier than I remember with my 04. My car only has 13500 miles on it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=lmp180psu link=topic=70860.msg1260808#msg1260808 date=1173590780]
Spunky - What did the noise sound like before you had the wheel bearings/hubs checked and found out they were bad? I am getting a odd noise from my right front side, and it sounds like the car is driving through a wind tunnel (no its isn't wind noise...lol - it is sort of 'higher pitched' than normal road noise), and also with that comes an intermittent lower pitched/rumble sound based on how the tire rotates. Not sure if it is related but when the car is slowing down it doesn't seem as smooth and is much noisier than I remember with my 04. My car only has 13500 miles on it.
[/quote]
Dealers...Use them. Get it fixed.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=70860.msg1263299#msg1263299 date=1173730286]
[/quote]
Dealers...Use them. Get it fixed.

[/quote]

Well I was going to do that anyway, but thanks :tongue: I was just hoping that people could describe the sounds they had related to bad wheel bearings, since the dealer almost always tries to find a reason to say 'it is normal'.

·
Registered
149 Posts
[/quote]

Well mine got really loud, so the dealer couldn't say it was normal. Basically, it was really loud road noise. It was like a growling or grinding constantly. It got louder the faster I would drive the car. The sound changed to a somewhat rhythmic sound if I turned the wheel at higher speeds, like a faint sound of a tire going flat. At first the sound would just go away when I turned the wheel, then it started making noise when the wheel was turned too. It was impossible for the dealer to miss that SOMETHING was wrong, but I did have my car checked out by my independent mechanic first and then told the dealer another mechanic found the problem. Because several months ago I took the car to the dealer complaining about a weird noise and they said it was just road noise. Good luck either way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.