Mazda3 Forums banner

Anyone from Europe please? question regarding LED brakelamp.

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  penamala 
#1 ·
Is the LED brakes available only for higher model? as an upgrade? b/c i see some Sport with red taillights and some with black and LEDs..

If that's the case.. can you buy the housing with LED separetely? and would it involve a lot to do the conversion? And how much? I'm really interested in changing them..

It seems everything is an accessory in Europe for the Mz3.. like sideskirts.. roof spoiler.. sporty bumpers.. but in NA we have no choice but to pay a higher base price..

I appreciate any information.. thank you! :)

These are pics from www.mazda3.co.uk:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi 2k1_bug, Im from Richmond BC too...

There's no option for LED taillights here in Canada or even North America.. As for our sport hatchback model, only the clear housing with black...but NO LEDs

I would want to order a set of LED tailight housing from europe for the modification.
If just swap out the normal bulb..it's harder cuz there might be some circuitry problems that's different for installing LEDs

#3 ·
LED bulbs work just fine. The rear turn signals are 7440 and the brake lamp is 7443. Swapping in LED bulbs will not cause any problems.

HOWEVER

The current LED bulbs in the 7440 and 7443 size on the market are not bright enough. I have them installed on my Mazda3 Wagon and I don't feel comfortable driving with them. I am going to custom build my own LED bulbs to use in there.

#4 ·
LeeLee said:
LED bulbs work just fine. The rear turn signals are 7440 and the brake lamp is 7443. Swapping in LED bulbs will not cause any problems.

HOWEVER

The current LED bulbs in the 7440 and 7443 size on the market are not bright enough. I have them installed on my Mazda3 Wagon and I don't feel comfortable driving with them. I am going to custom build my own LED bulbs to use in there.

Lee, is the roof-mount brake light also 7443?

#5 ·
leds are just available in stock @ the higher models (gta i.e.)
but you can also buy them extra from mazda so that you can install them also on a lower model (1.6l i.e.)

#6 ·
LeeLee said:

HOWEVER

Hi LeeLee,

I read somewhere in the "Lighting" section that LEDs can sometimes cause problems with the electrical system. What I mean by that is the low consumption power that the LEDs operate on is sometimes not recognized by the computer sensors, and will cause noticable effect. For instance, the turn signals will usually blink rapidly, and the brake light sensors for the brake lights will sense a malfunction and generate an error of some sort.

If you are not experiencing any of these symptoms, then is it safe to say that the Mazda 3 does not have these sensors on the bulb units? I know my 99' Honda Accord will either trigger a "Brake Lamp" error or if the turn signals were blown, then they will trigger a rapid blink pattern. Can you please confirm that these are problems that DO NOT occur on the Mazda 3?

I've been wanting to get the LEDs for the taillights, but was afraid of the outcome effect. Where did you get your LEDs from? Was the high mount brake light easy to install?

Thanks for your input,

Spencer

#7 ·
Inno said:
LeeLee said:

HOWEVER

Lee, is the roof-mount brake light also 7443?
Inno,

The high-mount brake light bulb replacement is a 921. Here is the break down replacement numbers from the Mazda 3 manula

Headlights High-Beam = HB3
Headlights Low-Beam = H7 (Halogen), D2S (Xenon HID)
Front Turn Signals = 1157NA
Fog Lights = H11
Side Turn Markers = *Replace entire unit
High Mount Brake = 921
Rear Turn Signals = 7440
Brake Lights/Taillights = 7443
Reverse Lights = 7440
License Plate = W5W

Hope this helps,
Spencer

#9 ·
I do not see any problems with the LED bulbs at all. The blinking rate is normal. I haven't tried the front 1157's yet because they are a b!tch to get to.

I didn't expect any problems because they have LED lights in Europe, so the circuitry must be compatible.

#10 ·
LeeLee said:
I do not see any problems with the LED bulbs at all. The blinking rate is normal. I haven't tried the front 1157's yet because they are a b!tch to get to.

I didn't expect any problems because they have LED lights in Europe, so the circuitry must be compatible.
Hey LeeLee,

Sorry for being such a drag, but where did you purchase yours at? I contacted this one company here on ebay and they said that I would need "Load Equalizers" to trick the computer so it doesn't think that there's anything wrong with the bulb unit.

What bulbs did you replace? I'm looking to replace the rear turn signals with Yellow LEDS, rear brake/taillights with Red LEDs, reverse signals with White LEDs, and the high-mount brake light with Red LEDs. Do you think this is too much and could overload the circuit or require that "Load Equalizer" thingy?

Thanks again,
Spencer

#11 ·
Okay, I posted too soon, the LEDs for the rear amber turn signals are not working correctly as I thought. They are blinking very fast. They worked correctly with the emergency flasher, which is why I thought they were fine. But when I drove the car today for the first time, the turn signal blinks very fast.

The brake lights, however, work fine because they do not have a blinker circuitry. The only problem you'll have is with the blinker circuitry for the turn signals.

I don't know about the front turn bulbs because I haven't had a chance to replace them yet.

You should be able to replace the brake bulbs with LED bulbs easily. However, I haven't been able to find any 7443 or 921 LED bulbs that are bright enough. The exhisting LED replacements for 7443 and 921 are so dim that I feel they are dangerous. Don't do it.

I took all the LED bulbs out of my car. I plan on building some custom bulbs with LEDs made for automotive brake/signal lighting. These should be bright enough.

So I wouldn't waste your time with the exhisting 7443/7440/921 LED bulbs on the market, they are worthless.

I am going to try putting in some LED 1175 bulbs in for the front turn signal lights, I'll report back if any load resistors are needed and if they are bright enough.

Bummer, huh?

#12 ·
LeeLee said:
Okay, I posted too soon, the LEDs for the rear amber turn signals are not working correctly as I thought. They are blinking very fast. They worked correctly with the emergency flasher, which is why I thought they were fine. But when I drove the car today for the first time, the turn signal blinks very fast.

The brake lights, however, work fine because they do not have a blinker circuitry. The only problem you'll have is with the blinker circuitry for the turn signals.

I don't know about the front turn bulbs because I haven't had a chance to replace them yet.

You should be able to replace the brake bulbs with LED bulbs easily. However, I haven't been able to find any 7443 or 921 LED bulbs that are bright enough. The exhisting LED replacements for 7443 and 921 are so dim that I feel they are dangerous. Don't do it.

I took all the LED bulbs out of my car. I plan on building some custom bulbs with LEDs made for automotive brake/signal lighting. These should be bright enough.

So I wouldn't waste your time with the exhisting 7443/7440/921 LED bulbs on the market, they are worthless.

I am going to try putting in some LED 1175 bulbs in for the front turn signal lights, I'll report back if any load resistors are needed and if they are bright enough.

Bummer, huh?
Yeah,...what a Bummer!

Well, I'm going to take your advice and wait off until something better comes along. I really hate dealing with electrical stuff...and using that "Load Equalizer" and grounding just seems like too much work :) . The set of LEDs that I was looking at had a cluster of 9 LEDs to the bulb...not sure if those will be bright enough either.

Let me know how you fare, if you find a solution.

Thanks,
Spencer

#13 ·
You can usually change the flasher module and solve the LED load issue. As far as brightness that'll be an issue. I am just looking to have the clean white/clear look of the LED's when unlit in contrast to the black car.

LeeLee, when you get finished building you LED's post results and pics, and maybe you could start a little mini business to supply the mazda3forums market.

Craig

#16 ·
Well apparently cuz u're in belgium (in europe) , that's y they have LED as options, while the rest of us are in North America , which we don't hv as an option

#19 ·
Inno said:
Well apparently cuz u're in belgium (in europe) , that's y they have LED as options, while the rest of us are in North America , which we don't hv as an option
Well, i gess where just lucky in Europe than, but on the other hand the 2.3l engine is not available here.
Also the sun-roof is not an option , but who needs it with a full-automatic airco :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.