Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Virginia near DC and last week I had to go home on Thursday afternoon for a funeral (my grandfather died). I sometimes go through WV instead of up through MD to avoid traffic. The route I take on US 522 goes through Morgan Co WV and Berkley Springs, etc. Right at the border of VA and WV the road transitions from 2 lane divided highway to single lane in each direction but the speed limit stays the same. I was flying, doing about 75 in a 55 since there are never any cops on that route. Well this time, as soon as I crested the hill where it goes from two lanes to one there is a cop car a few hundred yards ahead, literally just inside the WV border. I see that car there all the time but the cop lives in a house basically right at the border so the car is always empty. Not this time.

Despite having out of date insurance cards and doing 20+ over, he wrote the ticket for 64 in a 55 (probably due to my spotless record I imagine). Now, I dont mind paying the fine and wont try to contest the ticket, but would writing a letter to the court clerk or the officer to get the charge reduced to something that will not appear on my record help? I literally remember very little from the entire trip because I was kind of depressed to be going home to pay my final regards to my grandfather, but I dont want to write a letter that makes me sound like I was practically a zombie behind the wheel the entire time. Any chance this might work? I dont want to try to fight it in court because I know I was speeding and the guy did give me a break, and I dont mind paying the fine (albeit exorbitant as it may be for just 9 over the limit).

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
First of all, sorry to hear about your grandfather.

[quote author=Cloudguy link=topic=209447.msg4218830#msg4218830 date=1334682613]
(albeit exorbitant as it may be for just 9 over the limit).
[/quote]

Exorbitant for 9 MPH, maybe. Probably cheap for the real 20 MPH. :lol:

You can certainly try to write a letter, but I doubt it will do anything and any response that might be forthcoming would likely be after the deadline to pay the fine or contest the ticket. Forums always tell people to suck it up, so I hate doing it. But.....the cop already cut you a big break, so you're probably looking a gift horse in the mouth.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was going to send the money for the fine with the ticket, I was just going to ask for a reduced charge (like 10 parking tickets instead of a speeding ticket) that would not show on my record. I agree with the looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I want to buy a new car soon (possibly the CX-5 if they get the stupid thing over here in the diesel version) and I dont need this causing me a reason to not buy a car because my insurance will pull up my record.

·
Registered
345 Posts
what state is your license? you can get points in a different state then where your license is and it wont affect your license, so your insurance wont go up. I dont see how any of this affects buying a new car though.

p.s. i doubt writing a letter will change anything.

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
Plea not guilty and go to court. If its anything like here, you'll be in a big room with 50+ defendants and youll be asked to state your case, 1v1, with a prosecutor. Tell them your story, say you thought you were doing 55, and see what they say. If that doesn't work, plea for a lesser charge.

It's a pain in the ass, but the state just wants to revenue. They take the ticket at face value, and the cop won't be there (not that he could say he wrote incorrect information on a ticket...).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Live in VA ticket in WV. According to both WV and VA the ticket will result in points on the license and only the issuing court can decide how the violation will appear.

I talked to the insurance company already, my agent is really nice. She said the last time they looked into my record was when I was rear ended in 2009 or something and they usually only do it at random or when there is an incident. I assume buying a new car will be cause for looking into the record.

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=Cloudguy link=topic=209447.msg4218856#msg4218856 date=1334684838]
or when there is an incident[/quote]

like you talking to the insurance company about tickets?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My insurance agent has helped me out on MANY occasions with stuff, often times with them calling me about something before I even thought to get in touch with them. If you dont feel like your insurance agent is someone you could get advice from perhaps you should switch from Geico to a real insurance company.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I wrote a letter to the trooper and the court clerk. Just my luck this trooper guy is an Iraq war veteran. I am going to send along the article the paper wrote up on my grandfather about being an Army veteran and career fire fighter. At least that way they wont think I am bullsh**ing them.

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
Dude, you're going way out of your way here. It's more than obvious that youve never done anything "wrong" before.

If I were a state trooper and got a letter from somebody I had pulled over, I'd throw it out. There is an established process here... I'm not sure why you refuse to use it...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cause its over an hour and a half away. What am I going to do if I go to court and try to argue with them? "Yea I was speeding but I was sad and wasnt paying attention, please have mercy on me"? I already called both the court in the area where this happened and the DMV in my own state trying to see if they would let me do a driver improvement course or something but I got nothing.

Besides, although I dont pay taxes in the state where this happened, everyone I am writing to is employed by the state. Its not like they can come after me if they dont like my approach. There are plenty of instances I could find (although potentially rare) where this approach actually did work. Im sorry if you are a habitual speeder and an option like this would not work in your case.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote author=sdemo45 link=topic=209447.msg4218855#msg4218855 date=1334684819]
Plea not guilty and go to court. If its anything like here, you'll be in a big room with 50+ defendants and youll be asked to state your case, 1v1, with a prosecutor. Tell them your story, say you thought you were doing 55, and see what they say. If that doesn't work, plea for a lesser charge.

It's a pain in the ass, but the state just wants to revenue. They take the ticket at face value, and the cop won't be there (not that he could say he wrote incorrect information on a ticket...).
[/quote]

And I doubt it would be anything at all like there. This is literally the middle of nowhere in WV. They probably get at best 4 or 5 tickets a week. Even if half of those decided to fight it and they only held court one day a month it wouldnt work out to being that many people.

The cop was waiting LITERALLY 1500 feet beyond the crest of a hill where the state line is located. If I wanted to be a real a$$hat I could have just wrote a letter saying they were blatantly targeting VA drivers coming into the state to generate cash. It is literally the PERFECT place for a speed trap. The road goes from 4 lanes to 2 at the top of this hill and you wouldnt be able to see the cop until it was too late. PLUS radar detectors are illegal in VA so you would have NO way of having advance knowledge that the cop was there unless you were illegally using a radar detector in VA since he was waiting RIGHT across the border.

In my very humble opinion the break I received was probably a combination of my good driving record and him knowing damn well they could sit there and fleece people all day long.

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
Isn't that the point, that they hide where they know they can catch speeders? I had no way of knowing exactly how far from home you were when you were stopped, nor did I know how rural the area is.

I speed as a rule, but that rule is dictated my others around me. Taking the speed limit literally here is dangerous, honestly. Cops cherry pick cars (dare I say profile) when issuing tickets. Unfortunately, my car is modified and I get more than my fair share of attention.

Either way, that's not the point here. Abide by the established process guidelines and stop wasting your time with letters, or simply pay the ticket and accept the consequences.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Cloudguy link=topic=209447.msg4218897#msg4218897 date=1334689200]
If I wanted to be a real a$$hat I could have just wrote a letter saying they were blatantly targeting VA drivers coming into the state to generate cash. It is literally the PERFECT place for a speed trap.
[/quote]

There's nothing illegal about that. So you really wouldn't be an asshat, rather just wasting your time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=209447.msg4218923#msg4218923 date=1334690707]
There's nothing illegal about that. So you really wouldn't be an asshat, rather just wasting your time.
[/quote]

Nothing illegal about it. In my opinion unethical, but not illegal.

I would call an attorney if there was one I could find. The nearest one is one or two counties away and no way am I paying for a DC metro area attorney to go all the way out there with me.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Cloudguy link=topic=209447.msg4218935#msg4218935 date=1334691805]
Nothing illegal about it. In my opinion unethical, but not illegal.
[/quote]

Not sure what's unethical about it. You stated that you always see the car there but no officer and this was the first time the car was manned. Doesn't make it sound like this is some widespread campaign to harass their more civilized neighbors to the east.

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
There's something unethical about speeding: it's illegal. A cop positioning himself strategically, in order to catch you breaking the law, is not unethical.

Please don't rent a criminal, er, lawyer - that's worse than feeding the trolls.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any attempt by West Virginia to fleece residents of the more civilized state to the east is harassment.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Cloudguy link=topic=209447.msg4218944#msg4218944 date=1334693113]
Any attempt by West Virginia to fleece residents of the more civilized state to the east is harassment.
[/quote]

But, as you stated, this is the first time there's actually been an officer there when you drove by. Hardly a strong argument about a campaign to fleece folks with all your teef.

If you're implying that his presence there at all equals harassment, then what's your solution? Have a 10 mile "speed enforcement free" zone along every state's border? Yeah, that's logical. :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts