Mazda3 Forums banner

Does the front end of the 5 door look like a PT Cruiser to you?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was seriously looking at the 5 door the other day at the dealer. One of my buddies was with me and commented that the hood looked too much like the PT Cruiser. After looking between the sedan and the 5 door I couldn't agree more. I ended up with the sedan, mainly because I liked it's lines better.

I was just curious if anyone else noticed the similarity?

EDIT: Topic title for clarity :twisted:

·
Registered
882 Posts
At first it looked a bit odd, but overall it's a good look, it holds the family lines to be sure.

It might be worthwhile to relook at a PT though cause only the nose really even semi looks like it, once you see the PT again you start to realize just how different they look. I do like the look of the sedan but it is a bit more subdued compared to the muscular Sport model.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll agree that only the nose remotely looks like the Cruiser.

I do like the indentation on the sedan rather than the raised ridge on the 5 door.

I too, like the sport package. That's why I opted for the sport edition on the sedan.

Funny thing, the dealer said that only two (I seem to remember) body panels were shared between the two platforms.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah they are pretty much entirely different cars on the outside. Kinda nice, you don't really see that too often anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first time I saw the front of the hatch I also thought it looked too much like the PT Cruiser. I wish they had given it the same front as the sedan.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wanna3 said:
The first time I saw the front of the hatch I also thought it looked too much like the PT Cruiser. I wish they had given it the same front as the sedan.
I hate the look of the PT Cruiser. I definitely don't agree that the Mazda3 resembles anything like that of the PT. The lights are different, the grill...overall...nothing like the PT at all. Now, what I do see a resemblance with is the sedan carrying the same FORM like that of the Jetta, but the design is different.

Spencer

·
Registered
66 Posts
I read in a magazine that the sedan and 5-door share NO body panels at all. I cannot remember, but it was either Car&Driver, R&T, Automobile or Motortrend. I have a sub. to all of them and can't remember which it was.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
04M3S said:
I read in a magazine that the sedan and 5-door share NO body panels at all. I cannot remember, but it was either Car&Driver, R&T, Automobile or Motortrend. I have a sub. to all of them and can't remember which it was.....
yup ive read the same... no sheet metal is shared between the sedan and hatch...

·
Registered
427 Posts
It doesn't remind me of the PT Cruiser at all. Outside of both of them having horizontal slat grills.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They do look similar, to me. The first time I saw the hatch at a stealership, I remember thinking, "why do they have that PT parked in there with all these Mazdas?" As soon as I thought that, it dawned on me it was the 3-5.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts