Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any help on this would be appreciated. My 04 Hatch is throwing a P0446 code which is Change Over Valve EVAP System Leak Stuck close on 2 Evaporative. It came on a while ago and I disconnected the battery which cleared it for a few weeks but now its back.

I've also had an issue the last few months where on deceleration right around 30 mph, with my foot off the gas, the engine rpm's surge back and forth a few times between 1000 and 1500 rpm's. Its been a constant issue for a while now. Not sure if this is related to the P0446 code.

I had it in to the dealer a couple weeks ago to get the front bearings replaced but the engine light was not on at the time. They updated the PCM and supposedly test drove it without getting the surge. When I picked it up and drove it home though, it was still surging, so the update did nothing.

Has anyone else had this code come up and if so, what was the cause?

·
Registered
35 Posts
This thread is really old but I'm wondering if you fixed this problem. My car does exactly the same thine weird power loss around 30-40 mph P0446

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years ago. Fortunately the 3 was under warranty so the dealer fixed it under warranty. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the car had two codes, both of which pointed to the EVAP system leak detection pump (P0446 = EVAP system leak detection pump change over valve stuck closed). They replaced the EVAP pump and the purge valve. I can't speak as to the complexity of the repair since they did it at no cost, but that fixed the issue.

I've been through three purge valves on this car in 57K miles, and while the dealer was kind enough not to tell me why it would burn through them so fast, it is my belief that when I went to the gas station and top off, it probably caused some pressurization issues with the system and caused the parts to fail. Since the last one was replaced, I never top off the tank and it has been 25K miles and no problems. My suggestion is to make sure it is fixed and then don't top off when filling up, these cars don't seem to like it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts