Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my fiance has really been into rollerblading along the beach and on some of the paved trails around here. She has begged me to join her, so I dusted off my Bauer rollerblades and went out... It had definitely been awhile, 4+ years, and these were my hockey skates.

Anyway, I really don't want to buy new rollerblades because it's not something I'll do every day and I really like the fit on my Bauers. My problem with them is, for some reason (I think for better agility/turning), I configured my wheels in a 70mm - 70mm - 80mm - 78mm pattern. While I haven't fallen on them, the configuration seems a little pointless for street use.

I want to change out these wheels to something more comfortable and faster, but not sure where to start. I've attempted looking things up, but it becomes more and more frustrating since I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I dont know about hockey rollerblades but when I used to figure skate I practiced jumps and spins on these special wheels that I was able to just interchange from my normal rollerblades. You should be able to just buy a pair of wheels but you might want new Bairings if you havent used them in a while. Do you have a skate shop in your area? I always had great help with them when i was always on my blades. I know my info really isnt that helpful but I believe you should be able to switch out to normal street wheels. Does the blade that holds the wheels give you any info on size and so forth?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bearings are in great shape. They were practically new and I had them cleaned and lubed before I put them up.

I've been to 1 local skate shop, and they didn't have any rollerblades in stock and only 1 set of "soft" indoor wheels. I've tried numerous sporting good stores, but haven't had much luck there either.

Everyone is recommending me to check out a few stores online and they have a great selection; I just don't know what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
Man, rollerblades.... those were some good times back in the day. Couldn't really manage it in my neighborhood because I grew up on a hill, but at my best friend's place we used to go out a few times a week.

"Truck! Hit the brakes!"

*CRASH*

"Dude. Trucks ARE my brakes."

the truck in question was parked ;)

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Fuck that, hockey blades, no brakes needed...

As to what you need, I have no idea, I was never into blades that seriously.

·
Registered
649 Posts
when you look for bearings again the higher the abec the smother your wheels will turn.

as for wheels get some rubberized ones grip is key. I used to roller blade alot i had plastic wheels and one day i took a turn to quik and they slid out from under me not cool. I went and bought some rubber ones and it was alot better. and a little bit more shock absorption. The higher the mm wheels les stress on bearings cuase less spinnage.

Hope this helped and gl.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
get some real blades! no brakes

Im into "blading"...just not that fitness nonsense unless im running from jonny law...then i do work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Ws7Ur-5TA

im currently rolling on suspension frames with abec 7's and 56mm 89A durometer wheels...would have gone 58mm but they rub on my current setup and i gots no fenders to roll for that!

I was riding these but tore em down and just used the frames and liners on my old remz..i might build em up later with white boots that i have from a few years ago and just use em for park...we'll see

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=bpboiler3 link=topic=107623.msg2231922#msg2231922 date=1208220542]
get some real blades! no brakes

[/quote]

Mine didn't come with brakes... But I'm still unable to find some decent asphalt wheels.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I borrowed a friends pair way back in high school. I had done plenty of skiing and some ice skating up until that point. Dumbass me went out in a pair of mesh shorts (it was late spring and very warm). Double dumbass me decided a hockey stop would work great on roller blades. Triple dumbass me nearly removed my entire right butt check by sliding on asphalt for about 10ft.

I had to stand at my desk in school for about a week because it was to painful to sit.

I haven't tried rollerblading since (though I would probably be decent at it, I am a pretty good skier and not such a bad ice skater).
-Matt

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like to go with softer indoor wheels (78-80A) on the street, since the varying terrain may require that extra grip. The durability shouldn't be an issue if you're not skating around every day, if you are, I'd push up as high as 84A. As far as sizes, I think I ran 72,72, 80, 80 on my Missions and loved that setup, but I'm not sure it would fit normal skates - Missions were designed for that. I'm really rusty on my skate knowledge, but I think a 78, 80, 80, 78 setup or running all 78s may be good for less aggressive tasks.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote author=Rhawb link=topic=107623.msg2233318#msg2233318 date=1208266385]
I like to go with softer indoor wheels (78-80A) on the street, since the varying terrain may require that extra grip. The durability shouldn't be an issue if you're not skating around every day, if you are, I'd push up as high as 84A. As far as sizes, I think I ran 72,72, 80, 80 on my Missions and loved that setup, but I'm not sure it would fit normal skates - Missions were designed for that. I'm really rusty on my skate knowledge, but I think a 78, 80, 80, 78 setup or running all 78s may be good for less aggressive tasks.
[/quote]

My Bauers currently have a 70mm - 70mm - 80mm - 78mm pattern but they just don't feel right. So 72mm - 72mm - 80mm - 80mm would be better?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[quote author=gru link=topic=107623.msg2233654#msg2233654 date=1208273626]
having that big wheel in the 3rd spot just seems weird lol
[/quote]

I think it was for agility and turning. I know there has to be some reason why I did it (many years ago).

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
I think 72-72-80-80 with some softer wheel compound might be good for you if you are looking for comfort with your fitness blades...running a 70-70-80-78 wont give you as much balance and you will lose some of the control you could have...but just realize that the softer you go...depending on your weight...the faster your wheels wear and the more you have to rotate them...also softer wheels tend to core and chunk a lot easier when the temps increase.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts