Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here live in toon town?

I just got a job opportunity there and want to know what the city is like before I drive out there myself. Before everybody starts bashing me look what the home prices are like http://www.saskhouses.com/listing.php?id=6413 and http://www.saskhouses.com/listing.php?id=5962 compared to here in Alberta. I could sell my townhouse and only have a $60k ish mortgage.

How are your winters and summers?
How is the infastructure and rush hour?
Is there a decent club/bar scene?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go out once a year and need to make sure I can do it right.

·
Registered
11,468 Posts
roads are horrible
i was honestly backed up in traffic more there than i am in edmonton.

we have some friends that built a house for very reasonable. they're from the general area originally but they enjoy it.
there's some sketchy neighborhoods that i encountered when i got lost...actually there's a lot of sketchy neighbourhoods

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
2 of my friends are from that neck of the woods...boring from what I've heard.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Ive heard saskatoon is a billion times better then regina... and when i went to regina i didn't mind it at all.

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
I wouldn't mind being in regina right now....oh damn...someone swapped my R and V keys....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well it appears everyone who replied so far isn't actually from Saskatoon... so let me try to clarify:

Summers are hot and dry. Winters are long and cold. We get lots of snow and the city is fairly good about clearing the important streets fast. Side streets can take more than a month at best. Winter tires highly recommended.

Depending on your start and end point, travel is not bad. You can usually get anywhere in the city in 15 minutes. The exception is rush hour, which is about 3:45 to 5:45. In and out of downtown at that time is going to add 10 to 20 minutes depending on what direction your heading. Travel on the north section of Circle Drive is also slow, but they recently opened a second lane that makes things faster for NE bound traffic.

AFIAK the club scene isn't exactly great; but, it's not bad either. Lots of cute girls to been see at many fairly respectable establishments. Off the top of my head: Overdrive, The Pat and Beiley's. Each place has it's "night", so your best to consult with someone who actually knows the scene.

Real estate is kinda funny here. There are some places in town you want to usually avoid in you value your possessions/life. Anything close to downtown is usually a crap hole in a bad neighborhood. If you go far enough west (past circle drive again) you get back into the so-so places. North of circle drive is also an excellent choice, but I find that section of town a pain to get in and out of (see note about about circle drive at rush hour).

Since lots of stuff on MLS and saskhouses is listed by zone, here's a handy map:http://www.saskatoon.ca/org/city_planning/zam_maps/index.asp

I don't know what your budget is, but there are some descent new houses for sale for around $220k. No garage, but that's something you can put in the backyard later on.

Right now the market is fairly dry. Lots of the good stuff comes up on mls near spring.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=interlock link=topic=65833.msg1129952#msg1129952 date=1167785382]
Well it appears everyone who replied so far isn't actually from Saskatoon... so let me try to clarify:

Summers are hot and dry. Winters are long and cold. We get lots of snow and the city is fairly good about clearing the important streets fast. Side streets can take more than a month at best. Winter tires highly recommended.

Depending on your start and end point, travel is not bad. You can usually get anywhere in the city in 15 minutes. The exception is rush hour, which is about 3:45 to 5:45. In and out of downtown at that time is going to add 10 to 20 minutes depending on what direction your heading. Travel on the north section of Circle Drive is also slow, but they recently opened a second lane that makes things faster for NE bound traffic.

AFIAK the club scene isn't exactly great; but, it's not bad either. Lots of cute girls to been see at many fairly respectable establishments. Off the top of my head: Overdrive, The Pat and Beiley's. Each place has it's "night", so your best to consult with someone who actually knows the scene.

Real estate is kinda funny here. There are some places in town you want to usually avoid in you value your possessions/life. Anything close to downtown is usually a crap hole in a bad neighborhood. If you go far enough west (past circle drive again) you get back into the so-so places. North of circle drive is also an excellent choice, but I find that section of town a pain to get in and out of (see note about about circle drive at rush hour).

Since lots of stuff on MLS and saskhouses is listed by zone, here's a handy map:http://www.saskatoon.ca/org/city_planning/zam_maps/index.asp

I don't know what your budget is, but there are some descent new houses for sale for around $220k. No garage, but that's something you can put in the backyard later on.

Right now the market is fairly dry. Lots of the good stuff comes up on mls near spring.
[/quote]

Wow, finally somebody who wasn't posting to be a whore :p

Good to know all that info. I would probably be moving into one of the newer areas as we are looking in the 300k range and probably are going to build rather than buy. Thanks for the help! The one thing that makes Saskatchewan own every other province is their dirt cheap insurance, $100/month for full coverage on the 3.

Here's the funny part, another job opened up in Winterpeg too. It seems my company wants me to move out and start up another place for them somewhere.

·
Registered
976 Posts
[quote author=bumpin_sp23 link=topic=65833.msg1129463#msg1129463 date=1167767893]
Ive heard saskatoon is a billion times better then regina... and when i went to regina i didn't mind it at all.
[/quote]

I think saskatoon is better than regina, cuz I live in regina and it's boring.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Come to Winterpeg.....insurance is cheaper than in Sask. since we get rebate cheques.

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
stay in Edmonton, because girls just want to have fun

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
[quote author=BigTrucker link=topic=65833.msg1134705#msg1134705 date=1168023495]
If i come will you buy me chinese food?
[/quote]

Maybe some all u can eat chinese buffet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=BigTrucker link=topic=65833.msg1130020#msg1130020 date=1167787711]
[quote author=interlock link=topic=65833.msg1129952#msg1129952 date=1167785382]

[/quote]

Wow, finally somebody who wasn't posting to be a whore :p

Good to know all that info. I would probably be moving into one of the newer areas as we are looking in the 300k range and probably are going to build rather than buy. Thanks for the help! The one thing that makes Saskatchewan own every other province is their dirt cheap insurance, $100/month for full coverage on the 3.

Here's the funny part, another job opened up in Winterpeg too. It seems my company wants me to move out and start up another place for them somewhere.

[/quote]

I've lived in Saskatoon my whole life, and just moved back from Alberta (Edmonton), so I think I can comment on both places.

Bar/Club Scene: Saskatoon is mainly a University town and so most of the bars are full of the University crowd. If you are too mature for that, then I recommend Beily's. The bar scene in Saskatoon is also based on what day of the week it is. Each night of the week will have a good hot spot if you can handle hanging out with good looking 20 year old girls. ;) Good places to go for drinks are Freehouse, Maguires, Winston's, the Yard, to naem a few.

Real Estate: If you are looking to build a place, the new area of Stone Bridge is just starting development and it will be a nice looking area. The location is not too bad as well. If you are looking to build a place though, look at Stone Bridge or Willow Grove.

Roads: When I lived in Saskatoon I thought the roads were pretty bad, but after experiencing Emtonton Roads, I can say that Saskatoon is not that bad. I thought Edmonton roads were absolutely terrible. The freeays were fine, but some of the roads were god awful.

Saskatoon is a "prettier" city than Edmonton in my opinion. But as with each city there are of course the rough neighbourhoods. If you live on the East side, you would rarely see the rougher neighbourhoods.

Climate: Exact same as Edmonton. Its laterally 4 hours away. Not much is going to change.

If you have any questions about Saskatoon, let me know and I will happily answer. I need you to move to Saskatoon to help me with some of my future mods on my car ;)

If you let us know what you like to do in terms of extracurcular and what you put value in (i.e. family life, sports, etc.), then I can probably comment more in that area as well.

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
he has a wife and kid.

I don't think his wife will be happy with him hanging out with 20 yr old school girls.

however, me on the other hand..........

Edmonton roads ARE horrible. everywhere. it almost makes me want to stick with 17" rims because 18" will be killer with the lower profile tires.

In my opinion, Edmonton is kind of turning into a dump. high housing costs, murders, slutty girls, and a shitty night scene.

Edmonton is pretty boring......If I had the chance, I would move outta here in a heart beat. I'm starting to think maybe Vancouver again...if only it wasn't so expensive

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm entertaining 4 job offers now. One in toontown, one in the peg, one in cowtown and another here in the capital city. It unfortunatly looks like I'm gonna be moving outta here because all of the other job contracts pay about 20k more per year. And ya, edmonton roads suck ass. I'm down-grading to 17's next year.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Isn't Saskatoon the new murder capital of canada? It used to be Winnipeg.

Worse roads are in Winnipeg......

1 - 20 of 51 Posts