Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody... I've seen one sunlight silver Mz3 on here with some really dark tints all around, and I think it looks great. I want to get some tints, but Illinois only allows it on the back windowns and the top 6" of the winshield. I think it would be stupid to get only half of my car tinted. Anybody know of any way around these laws? I don't feel like getting the tints, only to get pulled over and have to get them removed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
get the whole thing tinted. just don't get a blatantly dark tint, and make sure it get's lighter in the front. i would tint the entire winshield as well. otherwise, the tint on the passenger and driver side windows will be more obviously tinted.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
What I've used with success if to have the back 3 windows tinted 1 shade darker than the front sides. Never been a problem for me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unless the cop asks you to roll up your window so he can see if it's tinted.
nope. they can't give you a ticket unless they observe you driving around with it tinted. Around here, they usually don't give you a ticket for tinted windows unless they first stop you for something else, or unless i guess your tint is super dark.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I also live in IL and have seen several cars w/ the front windows tinted. I think 50% would be okay, and maybe even 35%. I also agree that making the back darker than the front is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'd say, keep the windows down if pulled over by the 5.0

As my uncle explained, giving out tickets for tint is like icing on the cake if you're going to be a dick to the cop, or if he didn't get his krispy cream.

also, some shady places can supposedly etch into the tint a legal percentage, just depends on who you know.

·
Registered
420 Posts
mbhrdc0re said:
Hey everybody... I've seen one sunlight silver Mz3 on here with some really dark tints all around, and I think it looks great. I want to get some tints, but Illinois only allows it on the back windowns and the top 6" of the winshield. I think it would be stupid to get only half of my car tinted. Anybody know of any way around these laws? I don't feel like getting the tints, only to get pulled over and have to get them removed.
Yea, move to TN and I'll hook you up with some no-receipt tint :wink: :wink: dark as you want all the way around, 'cept for the windshield of course.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here in Ohio we can have a very light tint (don't know the % allowed). I have the silver and want to do the same thing. They also said the same thing about the law. I don't want to pay $200+ to tint them then be told it has to come off. Not to mention dark tint seems to attract the law. I'm gonna go light so there's no worries. Light tint is better than no tint I guess. :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Curious

I don't think in Toronto we have any tinting laws.

I was told by an officer than as long as they can see into the car when they look right into the window with their hands covering ambiant light around them, that's fine. I guess it works out to being something like 50% to 80%

From a website I checked for Toronto laws:

"Tint laws. No tint on front glass or blackouts on headlamp & tail lamps. Basically no tinting allowed by law on all windows but common sence rule that officers allow is up to 50 % tint allowed on driver & passenger window, up to 80% tint allowed on rear & back seat side windows of 4 door cars or trucks. (Though 100% tint back there generates a fine.)"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts