Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Run 1.5 miles and 3 miles a day alternating every day.

I can do 1.5 miles in 11:42 and 3 miles a little over 25 minutes.

Just wanted to see if anyone else out there runs, and if they know their mile, or mile 1/2 times. Or any times for that matter.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I used to run non-competitively in high school with a couple buddies of mine when we used to work out. I think we did 2.2 mile runs (from me house to my friends house) in like 18:xx minutes. That was nearly 5 years ago though, eek. I did go for a run a couple weeks ago, probably like half a mile. I find it hard to motivate myself. Any tips on staying consistent and disciplining yourself to keep with it?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i love running, i have been out of it. i was training for the harrisburg marathon with my buddies in november. Every tuesday morning we would do an 8 mile run, but one morning, i rolled my ankle realllll bad, like reallllllll bad. but ive been running a 4 mile loop a few times a week. right now im doing 9 or 10 min miles. just keepin it light

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
When I was 19 I ran 3 miles in 30min in a gym competition, Havent ran after that, running is bad for the knees!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=kjh1127 link=topic=110042.msg2266777#msg2266777 date=1209258701]
I used to run non-competitively in high school with a couple buddies of mine when we used to work out. I think we did 2.2 mile runs (from me house to my friends house) in like 18:xx minutes. That was nearly 5 years ago though, eek. I did go for a run a couple weeks ago, probably like half a mile. I find it hard to motivate myself. Any tips on staying consistent and disciplining yourself to keep with it?
[/quote]

Well I do it because I would like to be ready for the fto police academy. As of right now I am keeping up with those who are in the academy as of right now so I am happy but I would like to be faster.

Motivation for me is kind of wierd, whenever I run I grab my mp3 player and just play some pumping music and always think to myself it is for them. When I say them, the public, I like to think that a large (fat) cop wouldn't help anyone. And to get myself out the door, I just tell myself I have no choice but to do it. I figure I would have no choice in the acad, why give myself the option now.

That's my motivation, other then that, helps your cardio, brings your resting heart rate down, if that isn't enough motivation itself then I don't know what.

I know running is bad for the knees, but I believe as long as you run in correct form and buy some good shoes you should be alright.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
My wife is a marathoner. She's run the NYC and Boston marathons.

Me? I just run the corresponding 5k's when she runs the 10, 15, 20, and 30k races around here.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=110042.msg2266831#msg2266831 date=1209260947]

Me? I just run the corresponding 5k's when she runs the 10, 15, 20, and 30k races around here.
[/quote]

Wow, God bless her. I love running, but running that far to me is ridiculous.

Oh, and curse the metric system lol.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=KeepJeepin link=topic=110042.msg2266839#msg2266839 date=1209261064]
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=110042.msg2266831#msg2266831 date=1209260947]

[/quote]

Wow, God bless her. I love running, but running that far to me is ridiculous.

Oh, and curse the metric system lol.
[/quote]

Believe me, I think it's ridiculous, too :lol:

I just take my portable DVD and my Gameboy and sit in the car for the 3.5 hours she takes to run it all. :)

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
[quote author=KeepJeepin link=topic=110042.msg2266824#msg2266824 date=1209260621]
[quote author=kjh1127 link=topic=110042.msg2266777#msg2266777 date=1209258701]
[/quote]

Well I do it because I would like to be ready for the fto police academy. As of right now I am keeping up with those who are in the academy as of right now so I am happy but I would like to be faster.

Motivation for me is kind of wierd, whenever I run I grab my mp3 player and just play some pumping music and always think to myself it is for them. When I say them, the public, I like to think that a large (fat) cop wouldn't help anyone. And to get myself out the door, I just tell myself I have no choice but to do it. I figure I would have no choice in the acad, why give myself the option now.

That's my motivation, other then that, helps your cardio, brings your resting heart rate down, if that isn't enough motivation itself then I don't know what.

I know running is bad for the knees, but I believe as long as you run in correct form and buy some good shoes you should be alright.
[/quote]

I agree 100% on that, correct shoes make a WORLD of difference.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ran 1 mile in about 5 1/2 mins in Basic training and 2 mile in about 13 mins. Since becoming a civilian I average 2 miles in 18 mins.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My wife and I just started to run last week.  IT SUCKS!!! I hate starting a new exercise routine after being a lazy ass for over a year. :lol:  We started doing the run/walk and we have been increasing the run time every day.  We go to a city park and use the 1.35 mile track that winds around the woods.  It pretty hilly and we get a good sweat on, plus pushing a twin jogging stroller with one year old girls helps the workout.  Not to mention the sprints to keep up with the dog when she sees a squirrel :lol:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I ran cross country in my senior year of high school. I ran 5 km (about 3.1 miles) in 21 minutes. We had a 2 mile race once that I finished in under 12 minutes, that one felt like it was over before it started. And I think I could run a mile somewhere in the 5 minute range. I graduated in 2003 and haven't done any serious running since then, although I'd like to get back into the habit. I run from time to time at the gym, and I can finish a mile in just under 7 minutes pretty easy. I'm probably going to alternate between cycling and running once the weather warms up a bit more, I'll post more then.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I have been a little out of shape since my son was born (okay, really since I moved in with my wife a couple of years ago before we got married).

I still walk about a mile on my lunch break most days and I do a lot of walks in the evenings and do some push-ups and crunchs. I am trying to get back into shape a bit better starting this spring.

Back in the old CC days in HS I could do 5k in about 20:30 for my fastest time (20:21 was actually my best) in the average course I could handle in about 21-21:30. I didn't do CC my senior year as my grades weren't doing great, so I didn't do sports my senior year and I focues on my classes (grades got better), so I can't tell you how I would have done my senior year. I think I probably would have managed to shave another 30-60s off my 5k times. I never ran a 3200, but my best 1600/1 mile time was around 5:15 give or take a bit.

I was much better at sprints in indoor and outdoor track. Not quite so good at the 55m dash indoors only because I am not big on acceleration, more a peak speed person (I would finish around 5th or 6th out of maybe 20 people in the 55m dash most meets). In the 100m dash I could cover it in the 11s range, my best was an 11.2. My best split from a 4x100m dash was 10.4s, but you have the advantage of already being at least partly up to speed when you take the handoff and your time starts. I also did decent in the 110m hurdles (I hated hurdles so I almost never did them), but I can't remember my times.

I was also good at the long jump. My best in competition jump was 19'2", my best in practice jump was 20'7".

At a guess now I could probably manage a mile in about 7min and a 5k in probably about 26-27min. I am 'out of shape' compared to high school, but I am not THAT out of shape.

I can also hike 30+ miles in a single day with a 50lb pack over rough mountainous terrain. Not that I would really want to do that.

There is a 1.1 mile loop around my neighborhood. My goal is to start jogging that 2-3 times a week starting once the weather clears up soon (I don't do running in the rain, not since HS). Later this summer I am hoping to step it up to doing 2 laps 2-3 times a week.
-Matt

·
Banned
13,838 Posts
[quote author=ITHURTZ link=topic=110042.msg2266795#msg2266795 date=1209259660]
When I was 19 I ran 3 miles in 30min in a gym competition, Havent ran after that, running is bad for the knees!
[/quote]
That it is. Id like to do some running, but i injured my ankle last summer (just iced it, never got it looked at) I still feel it on occasion. I do biking instead at the gym/outside for cardio.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts