Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GT trim on Canada will have 6 speakers, all others appear to have 4 speakers. What I'm interested in is whether the stock sound is good enough for a trained ear or not?

I'm not a fan of huge subs and pumping bass, what I'm looking for as high-quality output throughout the tonal range with ample bass on decent (but not overpowering) volume. American cars tend to be better sounding with stock stereos, so I wonder about Mazda3, especially because it seems a nightmare to replace the head unit, and it looks like I'm going to lease it...

I would appreciate any links or audiophile opinions about this.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Don't know what the 3's stereo is like from personal experience, but judging from the MZ6, it's poor. Even the Bose system isn't anything exemplary (in the 6).

·
Registered
984 Posts
The speakers in my Protege are stock and sound better than my roomie who spent $500 on Pioneer speakers.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Stock speakers on my PRO and sicne I listen to mainly dance music, the system is good enough for me. I'm sure I won't have any issues with the 3's.

BTW, those 2 extra speakers are tweeters.

·
Registered
147 Posts
what is the difference between tweeters and regular speakers? is it for treble?
and does anyone know where the tweeters are located?

·
Banned
106 Posts
merciles, yes tweeters are for treble - having a seperate tweeter improves sound quality. With normal full range speakers, the speaker has to reproduce the sound in many frequencies - this tends to lessen sound quality because its 1 speaker trying to reproduce it all. When you add a subwoofer and/or tweeter - generally band pass filters are added so that you can limit the freq. the speaker has to reproduce making it sound better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it true that rear speakers are located in the rear door panels? Hope not, it will sound like shit. Any sedan gotta have 6X9 speakers in the trunk, it gives way better sound... :cry:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
flipper said:
Is it true that rear speakers are located in the rear door panels? Hope not, it will sound like shit. Any sedan gotta have 6X9 speakers in the trunk, it gives way better sound... :cry:
Yes, the rear speakers are located in the door panels

·
Banned
868 Posts
lmp180psu said:
flipper said:
Yes, the rear speakers are located in the door panels
I second this!

·
Registered
177 Posts
The stereo system on the M3 doesn't seem that great cuz it seems to be based on the stereo system on the P5 and the stock system on P5 is pretty weak from my experience especially the bass and clarity and also after playing cdr's for awhile most cd I put in will skip once in a while (I am not even going through bumpy roads). I will test the stock system throughly once I get the M3 to confirm with my hypothesis.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
It seems that the stock speakers break in after a while...so they get better sounding after a while. But it could just be that I got used to em.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
It's most likely the latter. =P

Sweeny... is your avatar the ebola virus?
why yes, yes it is. You're the second person to recognize it. The virus fascinates me. :D

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Good point Kaz!:)

Yes the speaker are on/in the rear doors. would have preferred them on the rear shelf, but hey, what can we do?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Easier to stuff them in the doors so they can be a common item with the hatch. Plus you dont have to worry about trunk space being taken up. That is a concern of some customers...but look on the bright side, with a little help from a sawzall or jigsaw, you can put any speakers back there that you want!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts