Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my power steering light came on yesterday morning. I haven't noticed any changes in the feel of my wheel. I checked under the hood and my fluid was a little bit over the Low mark, so I added until it was up to the full. Then I unhooked my battery (thought maybe it would reset the light kinda like a CEL) But anyway the light is still on today. Anything else I should look at? My car is still under warranty for another 20 days, problem is my town got rid of its only Mazda dealership a couple years ago and now they will not do warranty work on them. The nearest mazda dealership is 3 hours away :x Does anyone know how to reset that light? Or does anyone have an idea on what I should look for? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
804 Posts
If the tank was low enough its possible that air is in the system and would need a bleed.

But I would take it to the dealer, no matter the 3 hour drive, to make sure it was covered under warranty. The last thing you want to find out is that it needs a new rack and you are out of warranty (not that I'm saying that's the problem, but you never know).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I decided to bite the bullet and take the 3 hour drive this weekend. I called them up to make an appointment for Saturday morning. I was planning on leaving Friday night, I didn't want to get up at 4am on a Saturday. But it turns out they are not even open on saturdays, That sucks! I guess I'll have to give it a little more thought. This is one shitty thing about living in a small town. When they axe your brand of car because they don't sell enough... then you have nowhere close to go to get it worked on. Well unless you want to pay for it. I'll probably still end up going on a friday or something. But it will be inconvenient as hell!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took my trip this weekend and found out it wasn't even necessary to go :x Turns out a mouse got into my engine bay and chewed up some wiring for a module or something (as the tech explained it) He said unfortunately Mazda does not cover rodents getting into the engine bay... well no shit sherlock! So I got charged $95. He also told me the module itself costs $230 and with an install around $400 :shock: He gave me the part # and said that if I leave it, it won't affect my power steering at all. Only the damn light will always be on. So ef it for now! I'm thinking about putting de-con under my car, but I'm worried about harming a dog or something. Hmm maybe throw a few mousetraps under there when I park at home. F^&%!*g mice!! :protest: :bat:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Sounds a little fishy, did they show you the chewed wires. I find it starnge that it would only cause the power steering light to come on.

The threat of mice getting in my nice and warm engine bay is why I always complain to my parents about leaving the garage open.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that sucks man do you park outside or in a garage?
I've been parking right behind my garage lately. One of the cords was frayed and finally snapped on my garage door awhile back and its been too cold (and i've been too lazy) to fix it. My garage door weighs a ton now, feels like I could throw my back out opening the damn thing!

Sounds a little fishy, did they show you the chewed wires.
Nope it was all put together when I got back to the shop. I kind of believed him though because I had the same problem with my hooptie (83 citation) that stays outside. There was mouse crap all over underneath and inside the engine bay a few months ago. Thankfully that mouse didn't like the taste of those old ass wires.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Electrical tape will cover up the dash light issue.
I was actually thinking of that. My citations CEL is on all the time, so we took apart the dash and covered it with electrical tape. You can't even tell its there. But with my 3 I'm sort of worried about creating rattles by taking apart my dash. I figure I just deal with it for awhile. Maybe fix it, or do the electrical tape fix once I decide to sell.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I believe the exposed portion of the module that the rodent could have gotten to is a green box time connection under the glove box area.

I was working under there and the green connector came loose and had the same situation as you are having with the CEL...minus the mouse..lol.

I would check that area before you tearing apart the dash.

EDIT: there is a removable panel that needs to be taken off to view it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts