Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this Mazda for almost 3 years, has about 80k (engine has 50k)

Anyways... I noticed this on the old engine as well as the replacement...

The ping from what I "think" is the muffler, I'm not positive, but you can hear it once it does start...

And sort of randomly it has a pretty rough idle, that's only when you're in drive, but if you're in neutral it stops instantly (So I often shift to neutral at stop-lights to stop the rattling) which seems to come from the passenger side. It's a rattling from the passenger side, once you start accelerating it goes away, but if you're at idle in drive, it's noticable... Although I couldn't get it to do anything right now... it was cold out and the car hadn't been started in 6+ hours...

Then there's other whines/groans/ticks in the engine bay, I tried my best to get some sound. I can try another video in daylight.

Anyways, any ideas/thoughts would be helpful, the only "mod" done engine wise was grounding the throttle body, otherwise everything else is stock... any ideas to quiet it down?

http://lousyhero.com/blaze/mazdasounds.wmv

I know jack-shit about cars for the most part, I'm good with computers... cars... not so much...

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
On start up it sounds like either the starter or the exhaust - like there are loose pieces inside, makes a quick rattle sound.

Sounds more like a starter issue, I could be wrong.

Also ticking noise is normal for our cars, but if it gets loud that could be the factory intake Manifold, sometimes the valves get stuck open causing that ticking, I had my entire manifild replaced under warranty, it was a TSB.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with their thoughts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts