Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 Mazda 3, my grandbaby hit my panic button several times and now my PCM is saying I have a default in it,my code reader says that the instrument panel is not communicating with the computer, and I have a low voltage signal going to the computer. On the instrument panel the little light that looks like a little car is flashing when the car is not turned on, when I turn the car on the light goes out, can someone please help me, I've tried everything to try to reset it but nothing is working, the car will start and run but when I take off in it it acts like it's running on about one cylinder. Please someone help.
Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
What are the specific codes? The factory service manual offers comprehensive troubleshooting for specific codes.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've tried everything to try to reset it
What is it that you tried? Did you clear the codes with your reader? Did you also try disconnecting the negative battery terminal, pressing the brake pedal for 30 seconds (supposedly to discharge residual power from the system), then reconnecting the negative?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is it that you tried? Did you clear the codes with your reader? Did you also try disconnecting the negative battery terminal, pressing the brake pedal for 30 seconds (supposedly to discharge residual power from the system), then reconnecting the negative?
Yes I have disconnected the battery cables, I have put the key in the door turn it back and forth several times,I put the key in the ignition turn it back and forth several times while pressing the brake, I don't know what else to do

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it's still affecting the driveability, your next step may be a mechanic or dealership service department. I suppose there are a few things one could try:

• P0606 points to the PCM, of course, but perhaps cleaning and re-seating the connections to the PCM is worth a shot. I guess exercising the panic button ran current through circuits that were vulnerable to age-related malfunction (perhaps due to sticking lock actuators?), and maybe that manifested as heat and corrosion at a connection. (I don't have great confidence in this hypothesis.) If the battery died when the panic button was being abused, you might consider trying a fresh, charged battery and getting both the battery and alternator tested at an auto parts store. In the factory service manual, reconnecting the PCM connectors, clearing the P0606 code, and restarting the engine to see if the code gets re-set is the process to try before concluding the PCM needs replacement.
  • U0155 may well be due to the PCM condition. One could try replacing the cluster, to see whether that resolves anything, but I think it requires some programming to ensure the odometer reading is correctly updated. I wouldn't recommend throwing money at the cluster; it seems more likely it's the PCM or PCM connections.
  • Replace the PCM. An independent mechanic would probably have the most competitive price, but you'll need to get assurance that they'll get the odometer right, and they'll stand by the work (warranty against issues with driveability, chip-key registration, etc.).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's still affecting the driveability, your next step may be a mechanic or dealership service department. I suppose there are a few things one could try:

• P0606 points to the PCM, of course, but perhaps cleaning and re-seating the connections to the PCM is worth a shot. I guess exercising the panic button ran current through circuits that were vulnerable to age-related malfunction (perhaps due to sticking lock actuators?), and maybe that manifested as heat and corrosion at a connection. (I don't have great confidence in this hypothesis.) If the battery died when the panic button was being abused, you might consider trying a fresh, charged battery and getting both the battery and alternator tested at an auto parts store. In the factory service manual, reconnecting the PCM connectors, clearing the P0606 code, and restarting the engine to see if the code gets re-set is the process to try before concluding the PCM needs replacement.
  • U0155 may well be due to the PCM condition. One could try replacing the cluster, to see whether that resolves anything, but I think it requires some programming to ensure the odometer reading is correctly updated. I wouldn't recommend throwing money at the cluster; it seems more likely it's the PCM or PCM connections.
  • Replace the PCM. An independent mechanic would probably have the most competitive price, but you'll need to get assurance that they'll get the odometer right, and they'll stand by the work (warranty against issues with driveability, chip-key registration, etc.).
Thank you for all the information, I was able to get it fixed through the owner's manual. I had to reset the PCM with what the owner's manual said. All the codes were erased after it was reset. I was not able to use my transmitter to lock unlock my car now because it doesn't work. I use my key to lock unlock my car. I guess it will have to be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was able to get it fixed through the owner's manual. I had to reset the PCM with what the owner's manual said.
What did the owner's manual say to do? People who find this posting in the future could use some simple instruction to resolve it like you have. I don't see any specific direction about resetting the PCM in the owner's manual...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did the owner's manual say to do? People who find this posting in the future could use some simple instruction to resolve it like you have. I don't see any specific direction about resetting the PCM in the owner's manual...
I'm sorry I was able to reset my alarm through the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yes I tried that but I still can't get it programmed
Why not? What happens when you try it? Remember, you have to turn the key all the way from OFF to RUN and back again. I know other people have had issues because they are turning the key to ACC instead of OFF when cycling it trying to enter programing mode. If it still won't work then your remote could be bad or have a dead battery or your keyless entry module could be bad. I know it works because done it in my car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts