Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after days of the most frustration I've ever been through (prior military, so this means a lot)...
Mazda decided to deny my claim to fix the 2nd gear synchro under warranty, and voided the remains of my warranty due to aftermarket parts.

Here's the history:
About a year and a half ago - my car (2007 MS3) was under the safety recall for the #4 engine mount (tranny one) -
and I had it performed right away, with the modifications that I currently still have on the car (cobb sri, custom cat-back, cpe standback, wheels/tires).
No questions, no hassle.
Then about 5-6 months ago, boom, crack. there goes my tranny.
Had the car towed, and 1.5weeks later, i have my car back, complete with a new axle and other parts, due to the (surprise) #4 mount failing.
Same modifications, no hassle.
Drive the car from California to Ohio, noticed the shifting was rather hard during the trip.

Now in Ohio:
Take the car in, they look at the repairs that were done, notice something was wrong with the previous repair... some 'clip' was missing, that was allowing tranny fluid to leak out -
they make the repair, flush/fill, etc. Get me on my merry way - then I notice - 2nd gear keeps popping out, now. crap.
Back to the dealership - well they don't have any loaner cars, so I take my car to the next city to an actual mazdaspeed dealership (Park Mazda of Wooster) and ask them to take a look at it.
NOW! the good part...
They call me back a day later, saying that they can't perform the repairs due to aftermarket parts (listed previously) ... OK... I ask to speak to the district service manager, he refuses.
So I call MazdaUSA, a customer service rep. takes down all the information, just to call me back the next day to tell me that the district service manager says he reviewed the case and still will not perform the repairs under warranty. I ask for the technical reasons (how my aftermarket parts caused this particular malfunction to the car) and I get nothing.
Call the dealership back - try to talk to the dealership service guys - they have no idea on the technical reasons. They just said the District service manager called them and told them to not do the repairs.
I ask again, I need something in writing from Mazda stating exactly why my repair is being denied. They get in contact with the district manager and this is what he said, "ANY modifications to the motorplant or
drivetrain to the vehicle and we can deny any warranty claims for these parts of the car." Wellllll the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act says otherwise, that the burden of proof is on the dealership -
Since my parts increase horsepower they will cause damage to other components of the car. Ok, what about the Mazdaspeed branded parts? the Cold Air Intake and Cat-back Exhaust. They increase horsepower, no?
"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[1] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions[2],
and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives."
This is directly from the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

so NOW...

Filed a complaint to the FTC.
Filed a complaint to the BBB.
Started calling around for a competent attorney.
In talks with the dealership General Manager and Owner.

Best part - that all their deliberation has taken about a week now. I have this great 2009 mazda6 as a loaner car.
Ohhhh by the way - since we aren't doing warranty work, you have to pay for that as a rental.

I just needed to vent - I will keep you guys posted on what comes of all of this.
I'm sick of hearing of all these horror stories about warranties and being denied.
I also understand that Mazda is trying to protect itself from abuse, but...
this is ridiculous. If the ECU fried due to my standback, I would have no problem admitting it's my fault and paying for the fix.
But my modifications causing this damage (which has a history) to the 2nd gear synchro?? Come on...

Well, I'll keep you guys updated... /sigh

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sounds like you are going about this the right way.....I wish you luck, it will be an uphill battle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, honestly, I'm not too terribly concerned with whether or not they make the repairs. While it is BS they bring up warranty issues, this is going to be a long fight. I can find SOMEONE to make the repairs cheaper than the dealership...
Right now...
I want out of that dealership, but since they gave me the loaner, they want to charge me for the 1.5 weeks as a rental for the time it has taken Mazda to hash out internal decisions.
I don't feel like giving them close to 400-500 bucks for them to tell me they won't repair my car.
/sigh

·
Registered
303 Posts
hell yeah dude fight it for all of us who dont know how. i hope you win it to show them they cant walk over everybody.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
[quote author=briank53 link=topic=135539.msg2918193#msg2918193 date=1233956505]
Well, after days of the most frustration I've ever been through (prior military, so this means a lot)...
Mazda decided to deny my claim to fix the 2nd gear synchro under warranty, and voided the remains of my warranty due to aftermarket parts.

Here's the history:

Back to the dealership - well they don't have any loaner cars, so I take my car to the next city to an actual mazdaspeed dealership (Park Mazda of Wooster) and ask them to take a look at it.
[/quote]

I bolded your biggest problem. Park Mazda of Akron? Wonderful. Park Mazda of Wooster? SUCKY.

Sorry about all that man, but GO you for fighting them. I went there to look for, and purchase, my M3 in November. They treated me very badly, just from a polite customer service-y standpoint. I went to Park Mazda of Akron, and no problems. In fact, I had to wait 15 mins longer than they said for my first free oil change and they just today sent me a letter saying to come for another free one next time I'm due just for having to wait.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Man Wooster is supposed to be like the ONLY one around here that is good AND they are a Auth CP-E Dealer....

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
[quote author=kateleestar link=topic=135539.msg2918348#msg2918348 date=1233960854]

Here's the history:

[/quote]

I bolded your biggest problem. Park Mazda of Akron? Wonderful. Park Mazda of Wooster? SUCKY.

Sorry about all that man, but GO you for fighting them. I went there to look for, and purchase, my M3 in November. They treated me very badly, just from a polite customer service-y standpoint. I went to Park Mazda of Akron, and no problems. In fact, I had to wait 15 mins longer than they said for my first free oil change and they just today sent me a letter saying to come for another free one next time I'm due just for having to wait.

[/quote]

Sorry I gotta disagree they were good to me up to a point. KENT is Horrible but Wooster is actually the Best but I think you have to talk to "Mike" don't quote me on the name I haven't had to make the Trip.

Kent = I installed MSpeed CAI Threw the CEL that everyone does and it took me talking to Tonkin to get my Dealer to Honor Warranty on a Genuine Mazda Part! (Yes CEL Code was MAF "too much air")

Park = They are good with the Simple CBE / CAI but have heard some horror stories. They told TrevM3 that his CAI wouldnt be honored when having MAF problems.....

Wooster = Heard nothing but Great things. Friend on here had a Speed 6 with full DP/BOV/CAI and they replaced his turbo 2xs! No Problems at all. The guy who runs the Cleveland 6 Club used to work up there and has some good ties with Mazda so we all went there and never had any issues.

·
Registered
841 Posts
[quote author=Krystm link=topic=135539.msg2918368#msg2918368 date=1233961396]
[quote author=boostedminime link=topic=135539.msg2918362#msg2918362 date=1233961304]
Cpe dealer?
[/quote]

http://www.cp-e.com/dealersandtuners.html .html?id=P6IcsmhA

2nd down.
[/quote]

lol yeah i was going to say they sell cp-e parts so if they voided your warranty then every car they sell them to might want to check the status of thier warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohh this is just delicious. I didn't know this little tid-bit about being a CP-E dealer. Oh more ammunition.

As far as Park Mazda Akron... they wouldn't let me test drive the MS3, nope. No way, no how. So I called Wooster, they said, sure.
Came in, test drove it, bought it the next day.
But that was 2 years ago, now it's all different people...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Another example of dealerships breaking FEDERAL MANDATES. This should be addressed with a lawsuit my friend. This Act has been in place for many many years, yet dealers/manufacturers continue to break the law. Mazda has thousands of BBB claims against their dealerships in this country, yet they are still allowed to 'blame' these situations on their technicians or district reps. Take them to court with a class action lawsuit and I'll jump on board. I had to spend money to replace one of their turbos which has a clear history of failing... I'd like to recover those funds as well.

What we have here is a bunch of cheap ass owners that won't take things into their own hands. They have the right to bill Mazda for any service that they deem appropriate. No approval is needed other than a signature from the right person. They purposely are trying to drag their feet here when they are at least partly in the wrong.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
[quote author=Krystm link=topic=135539.msg2918365#msg2918365 date=1233961348]
[quote author=kateleestar link=topic=135539.msg2918348#msg2918348 date=1233960854]

Here's the history:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry I gotta disagree they were good to me up to a point. KENT is Horrible but Wooster is actually the Best but I think you have to talk to "Mike" don't quote me on the name I haven't had to make the Trip.

Kent = I installed MSpeed CAI Threw the CEL that everyone does and it took me talking to Tonkin to get my Dealer to Honor Warranty on a Genuine Mazda Part! (Yes CEL Code was MAF "too much air")

Park = They are good with the Simple CBE / CAI but have heard some horror stories. They told TrevM3 that his CAI wouldnt be honored when having MAF problems.....

Wooster = Heard nothing but Great things. Friend on here had a Speed 6 with full DP/BOV/CAI and they replaced his turbo 2xs! No Problems at all. The guy who runs the Cleveland 6 Club used to work up there and has some good ties with Mazda so we all went there and never had any issues.

[/quote]

Wooster wouldnt even talk to me on the phone to tell me if they had the car I wanted still on the lot. So we drove all the way down there to BFE and they were even worse in person.

At least at Park, they answered all my questions and didnt act like I was a 'stupid girl' for knowing exactly what I wanted... and they didnt give me crap for asking about 4 million questions or for finishing their sentences.

Mazda of Kent is nothing to ride home about. I test drove one last year and the salesman was one of the worst drivers I've ever ridden with. My friend literally screamed when he pulled out of the lot. I thought we were going to die. It was awful. My Dad even knows the owner out there, and I still didnt get good service.

I guess I'm more into the customer service aspect of the dealership so far. I havent had time to have anything break down, and if I did and they tried to pull something, I have people who know way more about cars than I ever hope too, and they could help me out. (My mechanic knows eevvveerrrything!! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Hopefully not very soon, though. Hey, they are okay with me painting my calipers! That's all I need right now! Sorry. :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like MazdaUSA is likely having a lot of issues with the MS3, and is tightening the reigns on warranty. You would likely prevail in court, but just realize that it's going to take the better part of a year, and Mazda knows very well that it's young guys who own this car, young guys that are typically all talk and no money when it comes to going to court. For Mazda to take you seriously, you'll need a lawyer on your side. It sucks, doesn't it? The whole system is basically made to discourage you from pursuing your case...

·
Registered
57 Posts
[quote author=briank53 link=topic=135539.msg2918515#msg2918515 date=1233966079]
Ohh this is just delicious. I didn't know this little tid-bit about being a CP-E dealer. Oh more ammunition.

As far as Park Mazda Akron... they wouldn't let me test drive the MS3, nope. No way, no how. So I called Wooster, they said, sure.
Came in, test drove it, bought it the next day.
But that was 2 years ago, now it's all different people...
[/quote]

the First salesman at park Akron didn't want to let me test drive the MS3 but I went to the manager and he said sure go for it.

I've been dealing with Park Honda of Akron for 15 years now. But everyone I used to know by first name is gone now so I don't feel too obligated anymore to go to them. The Mazda parts people seem like total retards.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I don't think anyone should be surprised to have a power train warranty claimed denied and to get flagged when running any kind of EMS. I think it's safe to say that the minute this comes to light with the Mazda rep, you're sunk. They know that EMS likely means changes to boost, and changes to boost can mean big changes to power. The dealer selling CP-e just means that they know what the Standback in particular is capable of.

But who knows, maybe when you hit a dollar threshold on prior claims they just deny with any mods that might have increased power, including intake and Moss-Magnuson be damned.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts