Mazda3 Forums banner

another TurboXS racepipe installed... minor injuries incurred

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Trubopower 
#1 ·
So I was able to install the TurboXS racepipe last evening in about an hour. I did run into a problem with one of the threaded bolts that hold the factory cat in at the back. The nut simply broke loose before the rod started turning so I was left with that piece sticking through the exhaust flanges. I had to unhook a couple additional hangers, move the rest of the exhaust out of the way, and waste 15 minutes trying to remove the rod once removed (its still in factory cat flange until I find my vice-grips DAMMIT).... but it was OK. The piece is wonderfully made and I really enjoy the flex-pipe welded in. THIS IS THE TRUE SIGN OF GOOD ENGINEERING. My hat is off to you TurboXS, I am impressed. :goodjob: I worked with two ramps that I backed onto, a jack on the drivers side front, a good tool kit, and my incredible good looks... which, of course, had the most effect on the whole process. 8)

After about 20 miles of driving, I get a nice warm tone from the pipe :jimmyt:... especially at low RPM's. It was 90 here in Phoenix today, so I am sure the "butt-dyno" :csweeney: I did is fairly invalid... but the turbo did begin to spool earlier, and I get the same high-pitched whistle as "Mr. Video", as I like to call him, did. Sounds good, looks good, and it will match perfectly with my CBE that should be here in a couple weeks.

The minor injuried were to my forearms... that cat was damn HOT :doh:... but it only burned me when my arm sat against it for about a minute.

PS... make sure you all remove the fiberglass adaptor ring that is around the front flange before you attempt to install the pipe. It comes off with a regular screwdriver prying the bottom edge and some needle-nosed pliers pulling from the top.

See less See more
#2 ·
both of my studs stayed fused to the stock cat. I looked at it and it seemed that was how it was intended to be, im surprised that so many people had the stud come loose and not the nut.

#3 ·
it is a poor choice of fastener... I would have liked to see a bolt instead of a threaded rod. looking at the design makes me think they added this cat after the original exhaust design failed to meet our emissions standards. the logical thing to do would be to incorporate a hex shaft that the nut rests against in order to use a wrench to get them out... and not a 1/8" curb. man that makes too much sense... maybe that is why i make so much more than anyone I work with.

#8 ·
Don't you still have 1 cat ? So it wont pass emmissions if yo install the race pipe?

#9 ·
Had the same issue with one stud coming loose at the flange and just the nut on the other. Bought two nuts and removed it that way and then used them as jam nuts on the longer bolts for the primary cat/pipe connection.

For under $500, the race pipe and CAI is pretty damn satisfying. (for the moment)

#10 ·
[quote author=Nymisus link=topic=71477.msg1257783#msg1257783 date=1173420991]
I can't remember if I have asked this before but this voids your warrenty correct?
[/quote]the race pipe only removes the 2nd cat, and there are no sensors there. don't worry about the dealers VOIDing warrantee folks. THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING THAT GOES WRONG IN RELATION TO THIS PART FOR THAT TO HAPPEN. They can't just say, "sorry dude... since you put that aftermarket tint on your windows, and that subwoofer in your trunk, you now have VOIDed your engine warranty." It doesn't work that way.
In the case of this pipe, or any exhaust feature.... there are some things that COULD fail in relation. The lower back pressure could cause the valves to "float" and subsequently bend/break causing major failure of internal engine parts.... but then they would have to prove that your part played a role in this. There are air/fuel mix errors that can kill and engine/turbo also. This is why I encourage EVERYONE to hang on to your factory sh** in order to swap them out if necessary.
People have been changing out parts in cars since they were first manufactured to be quiet and tame, and the PEOPLE actually helped fight for this. Check out this link for more info... http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm

#11 ·
[quote author=Nymisus link=topic=71477.msg1257799#msg1257799 date=1173421636]
yeah but I don't think they do emissions in tx still......I did hear they were going to though

[/quote]

We have emissions testing in Houston. Dallas, Ft Worth, and El Paso have it too. But since all they do is scan the computer for codes it won't matter if there's a race pipe on. No tailpipe probe is used on 96 and newer cars.

#12 ·
[quote author=sergio link=topic=71477.msg1258207#msg1258207 date=1173455310]
yeah but I don't think they do emissions in tx still......I did hear they were going to though

[/quote]

We have emissions testing in Houston. Dallas, Ft Worth, and El Paso have it too. But since all they do is scan the computer for codes it won't matter if there's a race pipe on. No tailpipe probe is used on 96 and newer cars.
[/quote] Sweet! How much louder is the race pipe over stock ? I do had the MS CAI fyi.

#13 ·
[quote author=flyrevs link=topic=71477.msg1258513#msg1258513 date=1173464652]

[/quote]

[/quote] Sweet! How much louder is the race pipe over stock ? I do had the MS CAI fyi.
[/quote]

To me, it's just a tiny bit louder. It's basically stock sounding. Maybe at 5500rpm it's louder but with the MS CAI, there's alot of sounds coming from both ends of the motor.

#15 ·

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah thats what I was thinking about, cool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.