Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of running the angel eyes to the cig lighter (thank you Danielj) with a switch. Here's my question:

I already have a second cig lighter tapped in so that I have power for my XM radio. If I tap in the angel eyes as well, do you think it'll be too much?

I have independent fogs, so if I tap into those, I could turn the angel eyes on whenever I turn the fogs on, correct? Do you think this would be a better solution vs. loading up the cig lighter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Angel Eyes Install Question

I think that the angel eyes look best when they are on by themselves, so personally I wouldnt wire them to the fogs. i dont really see that much of a problem with tapping the cig lighter but i could be wrong, i claim no intimate knowledge on that

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Does anyone know exactly how to wire it to the fogs in terms of which wires go where?

From all the reading I've done here, I understand that if I wired it to the cig lighter, I don't need to use the wire harness. Is this correct? Does the same thing apply if I wire them into the fogs?

I'm thinking that when I receive the angel eyes, the wiring will make more sense, just trying to get as much info as possible ahead of time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

I have indy fogs too. I also installed LED fogs which are a near perfect color match to the angel eyes and I run them on together nearly 100% of the time. Imo, it's a great look. However, I don't think I'd be a fan of stock fogs with the angel eyes.

If you went the LED fog route too, tapping into the wires (not sure which ones though) should be no problem as the LEDs are a low power pull.

I don't have an answer on the power pull for the cig lighter with the XM you have installed as I'm not sure of the power required to power it.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts

im not a big fan of color matched fogs to angel eyes :) 3K HID FOGS FTW !!!.
but im dead scared of doing indy fog mod....

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

And I'm not a fan of yellow fogs! :p

The indy fog mod is simple if you don't have OEM HIDs. You can do it Lucas!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts

hahah man Daniel.. you and trying to tempt me with everything..
first... its cause of u that i got MS3 CBE... which i love
Angel Eyes :) and now this ??
:) man... i guess i gotta snap some wires this weekend :)

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

Nice! The walk-thru on here has every detail you need. Makes it really easy.

And now you're going to copy me with coilovers :p

Sorry to go off topic.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts

[quote author=danielj link=topic=140182.msg3023367#msg3023367 date=1238269540]
Nice! The walk-thru on here has every detail you need. Makes it really easy.

And now you're going to copy me with coilovers :p

Sorry to go off topic.
[/quote]
haha
sorry to go off topic.. but..
yes.. coilovers maybe soon
:) and then rims.... and a header hahah
and clutch...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

This is my thinking (and please let me know if I'm an idiot here): Tap the angel eyes to the fogs power wire (which I should be able to find on the indy fog walkthrough?). Ground the angel eyes somewhere bare and shiny. Drop an inline fuse between the angel eyes and the fog power wire for extra safety fun time. Then I can turn on the angel eyes along with the fogs, and off, whenever. I like the idea of having the fogs and angel eyes on at the same time. And I can always change the fogs to LEDs for better matching later on.

All make sense to those that are in the know?

Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I wired mine into the fuse panel under the hood. They come on whenever I turn the car on now. I disabled the DRL and use the angel eyes.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

[quote author=niells18 link=topic=140182.msg3023498#msg3023498 date=1238273725]
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

This is my thinking (and please let me know if I'm an idiot here): Tap the angel eyes to the fogs power wire (which I should be able to find on the indy fog walkthrough?). Ground the angel eyes somewhere bare and shiny. Drop an inline fuse between the angel eyes and the fog power wire for extra safety fun time. Then I can turn on the angel eyes along with the fogs, and off, whenever. I like the idea of having the fogs and angel eyes on at the same time. And I can always change the fogs to LEDs for better matching later on.

All make sense to those that are in the know?

Thanks.
[/quote]

I would just use the cig lighter. That seems like a lot of work with unknown results. I guess it's just, i hate touching the fuse box.

[quote author=halo0 link=topic=140182.msg3023534#msg3023534 date=1238275583]
so when do you actually use the angel eyes without your headlights on? at dusk? at meets? how long can you run the angel eyes with the car off without killing the battery? I would want to have them on their own independent switch.
[/quote]

I run mine whenever the car is running. They stand out even in daylight.

·
Registered
135 Posts

i think the best way to do it is to connect the angels to the parking lights
instead of having your orange blinker lights on, you have angels =]

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

[quote author=SeanAxela link=topic=140182.msg3026164#msg3026164 date=1238399001]
i think the best way to do it is to connect the angels to the parking lights
instead of having your orange blinker lights on, you have angels =]
[/quote]

But what if you want them on but not your parking lights?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Where would I find a switch for the angel eyes (when they're tapped to the cig lighter). It'd be nice to use one of those empty locations, next to the the control for the IP brightness (to the left of the steering column). Any suggestions for where to find a switch to use in this case? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

A local guy found some online that fit in the top half of one of the blanks. Using a dremel, it pops in and is a clean install. I've installed about 13 sets and most used that switch. I can get the link.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

[quote author=danielj link=topic=140182.msg3026840#msg3026840 date=1238432973]
A local guy found some online that fit in the top half of one of the blanks. Using a dremel, it pops in and is a clean install. I've installed about 13 sets and most used that switch. I can get the link.
[/quote]
That'd be super helpful, THANKS!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts

I'm yet to install my angel eyes under a switch.. gotta do it soon

1 - 20 of 63 Posts