Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my angel eyes last weekend. Hooray! It's the Chromium set for Dabears2k

It was a pain in the ass, but they look great. They were a bit dim at first but quickly got to their full brightness, and holy crap are they bright.

I used a wiring harness and set them up to the fusebox. I notched the lenses and fed the wires out of a hole I made behind the high beam lense, then zipped the wires together and sealed the hole with silicon. They come on just fine with the turn of the key, and turn off properly after a short time. The wiring is neatly tucked away and the joint connections are wrapped with electircal tape for that extra seal. I must've did it right, because it's been rainy and crappy for days now and they aren't showing any signs of fogging up or condesation or anything.

Here's the only issues I have.

1. They are kinda dim when first starting up from being inactive for a while. Is this just normal "warming up"?

2. Some, not all, of the rings will flicker a bit when starting the car. I'm guessing this is normal, too, but it doesn't look too impressive in my opinion. Once the car starts, though, they work perfectly.

Am I just being touchy and picky about this, or are these signs of an impending problem that should be addressed?

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
Both normal. You should alter your wiring though, by tapping into the parking lights or something. The flickering is caused by the starter demanding power, and is believed to be harmful in the long term to the life of your rings. Other people have hooked them up to separate switches, but I find the parking light route to be the best.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Mine are tapped into the cig. lighter and controlled via a switch-- I treat it similar to aftermarket HID-- start the car, wait like 10 seconds, and fire 'em up...

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=tpitch14 link=topic=135232.msg2910685#msg2910685 date=1233717804]
Mine are tapped into the cig. lighter and controlled via a switch-- I treat it similar to aftermarket HID-- start the car, wait like 10 seconds, and fire 'em up...
[/quote]

That's the way to go!

I must admit, I'm bad. I leave mine on all the time. I have a remote starter on my car when when I start the car the angel eyes turn on, off and then back on again with in a second or two. It's been 2 years though and no problems.

Oh btw, good job on getting them installed. I know it's a nerve racking experience. I've installed 9 sets now and get nervous every time!

·
Registered
144 Posts
i've done angel eyes to my car, as well as 3 other cars. hated it every single time. but for some reason, i always find myself doing them again. :chuckles:

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=logik816 link=topic=135232.msg2910890#msg2910890 date=1233723443]
i always find myself doing them again. :chuckles:
[/quote]

Truth! I'm doing 3 more sets on the 21st.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to find a good way to set either of those up, then.

Links to the most accurate and picture friendly would be nice.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=135232.msg2910825#msg2910825 date=1233721693]
[quote author=tpitch14 link=topic=135232.msg2910685#msg2910685 date=1233717804]
[/quote]

Oh btw, good job on getting them installed. I know it's a nerve racking experience. I've installed 9 sets now and get nervous every time!
[/quote]

I even helped out on a local friends' set! :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fellow MZ3 sedan driver in the area approached me at a gas station and saw my lights this morning.

I got out to pump gas, and hte lights cut off after a few seconds like they are supposed to. (Still love that)

He looks them over and proceeds to tell me:

"What the fuck is this shit? Are you fucking serious? Are you trying to be all BMW and shit? And wtf with the red dome lights? I swear you are such a ricer ***."

I just blink at him for a second with raised eyebrows. Before I can really say anything he jumps into his car and proceeds to drive away with the biggest fart can I've ever seen on a 3. The park bench carbon wing was nice, too.

I don't know wether to laugh or cry, or cry while laughing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=logik816 link=topic=135232.msg2911682#msg2911682 date=1233765335]
think he's jst mad at himself for not having the brains or talent to do angel eyes on his own ride.
[/quote]

Or patience?

I mean christ, it took me a whole afternoon and part of the night to do mine, and I had HELP.

It does take a fair amount of effort to do this mod. Most people don't want to do a mod if it involves actual work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts