Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boeing ownzors your carbon fiber

Re: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

"Boeing is making the wings of its new 787 out of carbon fiber instead of metal. That means the wings are so strong and flexible that they could bend upward and touch above the fuselage — or come close. The company is expected to deliver the first 787 to All Nippon Airlines in May 2008. 'Boeing has completed static testing of a three-quarter wingbox, but engineers are still considering whether to limit testing of the full wing to a 150% load limit held for 3 sec. of to continue bending it to see when it breaks. 'There's a raging debate within the engineering team to see if we should break it or not,' says [787 General Manager Mike] Bair.'"
Boeing has completed static testing of a three-quarter wingbox, but engineers are still considering whether to limit testing of the full wing to a 150% load limit held for 3 sec. of to continue bending it to see when it breaks. "There's a raging debate within the engineering team to see if we should break it or not," says [787 General Manager Mike] Bair.

Breaking it isn't necessary for certification, but Bair says the wing is so strong and flexible that there's been talk that maybe it could be bend far enough for the wingtips to touch above the fuselage—or come quite close.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I would love to see a test video of that.

If they are really that flexible I think boeing should do some cute videos of the airplanes flapping their wings to fly.

I do love the direction that Boeing is moving and Airbus is belatedly moving to of creating lighter more fuel efficient (and in the case of turbojet manufacturers) and less polluting airplanes. I admit they are doing it because airlines want at least the lighter more fuel efficient planes that can still pack in a bunch of passengers because it saves them huge amounts on fuel costs over time (even if JP8 was like $1 a gallon it would save them a pretty penny over the airplane's life span).
-Matt

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=stephanie link=topic=81685.msg1521787#msg1521787 date=1182975800]
is there still a carbon fiber shortage?
[/quote]

If so, I think we just found the reason why.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=81685.msg1521850#msg1521850 date=1182976952]
[/quote]

If so, I think we just found the reason why.
[/quote]

Crap, you found out about my carbon fiber cup for my jock strap. I knew it would use up a lot of carbon fiber, I just didn't realize it would cause a world shortage :klavergreg:
-matt

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
[/quote]

That is the reason why. Because Boeing is using it all up. Read it somewhere that prices are quadrupling because of it.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
[quote author=Sky 3 link=topic=81685.msg1522083#msg1522083 date=1182981729]
[/quote]

That is the reason why. Because Boeing is using it all up. Read it somewhere that prices are quadrupling because of it.
[/quote]

yeah that makes sense...

i'm going to slice off a piece of the plane in the shape of a mazda3 hood then.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
was the carbon fiber shortage really a hoax or myth?

cause.. carbon isnt really.. rare.
maybe not alot of ppl make it but eh.

·
Registered
568 Posts
heh... i have no idea if that's real or not.

all i know is... i eventually want to get a carbon-fiber hood!
and if prices are going up, i'll be pissed!! :x

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=stephanie link=topic=81685.msg1522486#msg1522486 date=1182991131]
[quote author=Sky 3 link=topic=81685.msg1522083#msg1522083 date=1182981729]
[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah that makes sense...

i'm going to slice off a piece of the plane in the shape of a mazda3 hood then.
[/quote]

break me off a hatch piece while your there 8)

speaking of, you guys see the carbon fiber toilet seat? :lol: good stuff, now i can shat in style :roll:

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[quote author=kspec link=topic=81685.msg1522720#msg1522720 date=1182997973]
was the carbon fiber shortage really a hoax or myth?

cause.. carbon isnt really.. rare.
maybe not alot of ppl make it but eh.
[/quote]

I have no idea. But the element carbon being rare or not has nothing to do with the manufactured carbon fiber form, in terms of availability.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I would guess myth. A 787 might use a lot of CF, but in comparison to the industry whole it isn't really all that much. Think of the thousands of CF applications. Car parts (not just aftermarket ones), tripods, hiking poles, artificial limbs, other aernautical and nautical applications, and so on.

It wouldn't suprise me if all of the cup sail boats out there probably use more CF then the 787s being built.
-Matt

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
yeah....the materials to make cf aren't exactly rare. I would think that the production capacity for making the quality and quantity of cf needed for the wings IS rare, though, so in certain industries there probably is a shortage. But something tells me that a cf mazda3 hood isn't exactly coming from the same suppliers that are dealing with Boeing.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
the production, until very recently, is a slow process, and there arent ALOT of places making it yet, so i wouldnt be surprised if there was a shortage. it seems like everyone got interested in using CF at once, likely due to its successful use by the military recently, so that would further slow things.

there was actually recently a case that was going to go to the supreme court (they declined to hear it about a month ago) brought by a St Louis company called Zoltec, because lockheed (i think it was lockheed. definly an airplane company. dont think it was boeing) had used their patented process to quickly and efficiently make carbon fiber overseas, and then shipped it over here for assembly. so... there are processes being developed and propigated to make it faster, but for now, i'd still believe there might be a slight shortage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts