Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... first of all... thx a million to vaBooM for his amazingly detailed help he has provided.

Right to the point... has anyone thus far been able to run a amp power cable through the firewall without drilling?

I'm trying to run a 4-gauge line. I've done some looking and did notice the factory hole on the passenger side -- only problem is figuring out how to get to it from the inside, as it looks like it would be behind the glove box (which I also have the navi box in the way). I've also noticed a funny looking square opening (of some-sort) next to the steering column, that has a plastic snapped in cover (it's easy to find -- there is even a pre-cut in the carpet for it), but I'm not really sure where that comes out in the engine compartment.

As most people have mentioned, the engine compartment is tight, so it's a little tricky. This is the fourth car I've had and the fourth car I've done this to, but in the past I seemed to always find an easy-in through the firewall. This car is just presenting itself to be a little more challenging.

Thanks for any experience you can share. :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, i have!!!
There is a little hole behind the battery, but you must put the plastic casing (of the battery) of!!
my power cable is 25 mm²!!! --->I don't know how much this is in gauge!!!
the hole runs direct to the driver room, it comes out behind the carpet, on the left side of the clutch....
look after it!!!!
good luck edi

·
Registered
315 Posts
Edi, would you happen to be able to take a picture of the hole? I want to make sure I use the same one if I can make 0 AWG fit through it :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I tried to glance for that hole today, but you are right, it is behind the bottom plastic part of the battery. The opening I was referring to in my original post (left of the steering column) I did take a closer look at today. While I had the hood open, I noticed that the white plastic plug that is snapped in the opening was lit up from the sun shinging through it (looking from the inside of the car). Pressed on it a bit and it seemed like it would pop right off. It dawned on me that this could be the opening for the clutch, and since my car is an auto, it is just plugged.

I will be probably attempting to do my install tomorrow, one way or another. I'll let ya know what I find and will try to take some pics along the way.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yea i wanna kno where the whole u are talkinag about is, i dont get it

·
Banned
106 Posts
Do you have to remove the battery to take out the box? Or is it a panel you can remove?

·
Banned
106 Posts
Do you have to remove the battery to take out the box? Or is it a panel you can remove?

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is another way!!!

I used the good release wire hole, just over the pedals, to get my power wire through.

Simple and effective.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Anyone know offhand if any of these holes are an inch in diameter? I can always open the hood and find out, but I won't have time for that until tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my install went perfectly. The little square plastic plugged hole to the left of the steering column worked great. You could probably fit six 1/0 gauge wires through it. Like I said before, though, I assume this hole is for something to do with the clutch, if you have a manual trans, so it might not work for you. I didn't really look at the hood release lever hole, so I can't speak to it's size.

I will say, all in all, this was probably the easiest car I've ever done an installation on, IMHO. Just seemed like the trim pieces removed and re-installed very easily. I followed vaBooM's instructions to the tee. They were absolutely perfect for me. Can't thank him enough.

This installation only included a sub for the trunk and some in-line crossovers for the factory speakers (to block out the lower bass). It made a huge difference in the sound... much fuller with better low-end support. It will probably tide me over for a while, but just in case I went ahead and pre-wired for another AMP, in case I decide to replace the factory speakers.

I would be curious to hear if the hood release opening works for those with a clutch. Good luck on your installs. 8)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Sorry fellas, that square plastic grommet wont be there if its manual. There isnt any holes or factory grommets to fit 1/0 gauge through.

I was meaning to check out that one behind the battery today. But it snowed (thanks to good ol 5 min Colorado weather..). Ill take a look when I have time but chances are you will need to drill a big ol' 1.25" hole to fit a grommet for 1/0 gauge.

Glad my guide helped ya.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just checked out that firewall location, and yup, its big! The guy that installed my alarm put the wires through that location (drilled a hole in the plastic piece).

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have to drill a hole

I've replaced my factory speakers w/ Infinity components and coaxials and installed Alpine V12 5CH amp and 1 farad CAP using LOC.
VaBoom's instructions were really helpful but the biggest problem I've had with the install was picking the right spot to drill the hole for my 4 gauge power wire. After drilling a couple of holes on the inside firewall (there are two layers of firewalls) I finally found the right spot next to the upper part of steering column. Make sure you drill as close to the steering column as possible without interfering with steering operation otherwise second (inner) firewall which is at an angle will give you a hard time making the drill bit catch the first firewall. Also make sure you have extended or eztra long drill bit. The second firewall is quite deep.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I used a metal hole saw. And where I hit, it was double steel but they werent spaced out by a whole lot.

bk, is your car auto?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yup, its auto. I guess there is finally a good reason to have it over a manual.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
bknauss said:
Yup, its auto. I guess there is finally a good reason to have it over a manual.
Lmao... wasnt like it was THAT hard to drill the firewall:D. But I will say, auto on any car makes a easier easier install. There is more room on the firewall and underdash.

·
Registered
191 Posts
still waiting for pics of that plug u guys are talking about. i really need them

·
Registered
315 Posts
The big plug? You'll just need to look almost directly behind the battery and just below... you'll see a white plastic thing with a flange coming out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts