Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read this on another forum, i'm just going to paste his post.

No matter what your political convictions are this is
> eye opener.

> What a thankless people we are!!!
>
>
> Jay Leno wrote this; it's the Jay Leno we don't often
> see....
>
> As most of you know I am not a President Bush fan, nor
> have I ever been, but this is not about Bush, it is
> about us, as Americans, and it seems to hit the mark.

>
> The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came
> across some Poll data I found rather hard to believe.

> It must be true given the source, right? The Newsweek
> poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy
> with the direction the co untry is headed and 69
> percent of the country is unhappy with the performance
> of the President.

In essence 2/3 of the citizenry
> just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the
> knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, 'What are we
> so unhappy about?'
>
>
> A.

Is it that we have electricity and running
> water 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week?
>
>
> B.

Is our unhappiness the result of having
> air conditioning in the summer and heating in the
> winter?
>
>
> C. Could it be that 95.

4 percent of these
> unhappy folks have a job?
>
>
> D.

Maybe it is the ability to walk into a
> grocery store at any time and see more food in
> moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?
>
>
> E.

Maybe it is the ability to drive our cars
> and trucks from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic
> Ocean without having to pres ent identification papers
> as we move through each state?
>
>
> F.

Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe
> motels we would find along the way that can provide
> temporary shelter?
>
>
> G.

I guess having thousands of restaurants
> with varying cuisine
> from around the world is just not good enough either.

>
>
> H.

Or could it be that when we wreck our car,
> emergency workers show up and provide services to help
> all and even send a helicopter to take you to the
> hospital.

>
>
> I.. Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of
> Americans who own a home.

>
>
> J.. You may be upset with knowing that in the
> unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained
> firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch
> equipment to extinguish the flames, thus saving you,
> your family, and your belongings.

& gt;
>
> K.

Or if, while at home watching one of your
> many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes,
> an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest
> will come to defend you and your family against attack
> or loss.

>
>
> L.

This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood
> free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the
> residents.

Neighborhoods where 90% of teenagers own
> cell phones and computers.

>
>
> M.. How about the complete religious, social and
> political
> freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the
> world?
>
>
> Maybe that is what has 67% of you folks unhappy.

>
>
> Fact is, we are th e largest group of ungrateful,
> spoiled brats the world has ever seen.

No wonder the
> world loves the U.S.

, yet has a great disdain for its
> citizens. They see us for what we are.

The mos t
> blessed people in the world who do nothing but
> complain about what we don't have, and what we hate
> about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we
> live here.

>
>
> I know, I know.

What about the president who took us
> into war and has no plan to get us out? The
> president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating?
> Is this the same president who guided the nation in
> the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut
> taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could
> this be the same guy who has been called every name in
> the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled
> ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks? The
> commander-in- chief of an all-volunteer army that is
> out there defending you and me?
>
>
> Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or
> talk show?
> Did this news affect you so much, make yo u so unhappy
> you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see
> all the good things and be glad? Think about
> it......are you upset at the President because he
> actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the
> 'Media' told you he was failing to kiss your sorry
> ungrateful behind every day. Make no mistake about it.

>
>
> The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to
> serve, and in many cases may have died for your
> freedom. There is currently no draft in this country.

> They didn't have to go.

They are able to refuse to go
> and end up with either a ' 'general' discharge, an
> 'other than honorable' discharge or, worst case
> scenario, a'dishonorable' discharge after a few days
> in the brig.

>
>
> So why then the flat-out discontentme nt in the minds
> of 69 percent of Americans?
>
>
> Say what you want but I blame it on the media.

If it
> bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news.

> Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts.

> How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the
> corner? The media knows this and media outlets are
> for-profit corporations.

>
> They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to
> defend their actions by 'justifying' them in one way
> or another.

Just ask why they tried to allow a
> murderer like O.J.

Simpson to write a book about how
> he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have
> done it this way......Insane!
>
>
> Turn off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York
> Times for the bottom of your bird cage.

Then start
> be ing grateful for all we have as country.

There is
> exponentially more good than bad.

We ar e among the
> most blessed people on Earth and should thank God
> several times a day, or at least be thankful and
> appreciative.

' 'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out
> of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms
> tearing up the country from one end to another, and
> with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,
> 'Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of
> the Pledge of Allegiance?'
>
> Jay Leno
>
>
> Please keep this in circulation.

There are
> so many people who need to read this and grasp the
> truth of it all

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
great stuff but what does 'god' have to do with any threats of hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mudslides, flooding, thiunderstorms, avian flu, and terrorist attacks? sounds about as paranoid, close minded and ignorant as those crazy fucks from the Westboro Baptist Church or whatever its called.

·
Registered
752 Posts
[quote author=budgy link=topic=119275.msg2509441#msg2509441 date=1217571579]
great stuff but what does 'god' have to do with any threats of hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mudslides, flooding, thiunderstorms, avian flu, and terrorist attacks?[/quote] You're the closed minded fool who thinks the above statement is true.

Do you even believe in god?

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I bet a cookie Jay Leno didn't say a single word of that.

Sure, we have plenty to be thankful of as Americans. That doesn't mean our country doesn't have serious problems and we need major changes.

Sounds like one more idiot writting something because they support all of the crazy stuff we do and trying to attribute it to someone that someperson somewhere might consider credible.

More blather. If you believe that, good luck. Ignorance is bliss and you must be pretty blissful. In a way I envy you.
-Matt

·
Registered
618 Posts
i love my country just as much as the next man.

what i don't like is that our government lies to it's own citizens, releases false information to the public for its OWN interests, not OUR interests. We do have running water, electricity, and everything we take for granted, but what that story fails to point out is that we PAY for those services. PAY PAY PAY!

We pay for everything through hard work and taxes. It is not like the firefighters and police men are doing this out of the good of their hearts for free (except volunteer fire units). They get paid for what they do, and it is a career like anything else. I pay for those services they provide through the 25% the government takes from me every week. I also pay for my power, my water, my gasoline in my car.

60% of the people are NOT happy with what our country is doing. Our president doesnt inspire any level of confidence, We are running a war against an ideology that we cannot win, and we shouldnt be fighting, spending billions of dollars that could have been better served helping the american people, developing alternate fuel sources, etc. Fighting a war over "weapons of mass destruction" when we have the most WMDs in the entire world. What a joke. If we would stop attacking people and really start helping poor countries imagine how much better the world would be.

I can't wait for this election.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Or those billions could have been spent helping the developing world and engendering good will. Probably would have gotten us a lot more milage if we had done that with it. I probably would have used most of it domestically.

Okay, actually I probably would have just not used most of it and kept our national debt just a bit more in-check.
-Matt

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
[quote author=arkenzo link=topic=119275.msg2509465#msg2509465 date=1217573180]
great stuff but what does 'god' have to do with any threats of hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mudslides, flooding, thiunderstorms, avian flu, and terrorist attacks?[/quote] You're the closed minded fool who thinks the above statement is true.

[/quote]

really? HE'S the closed minded fool here? before you make statements like this one, you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. ask yourself, "why do i believe in God?" and if the answer in any way, shape, or form involves your parents, you should never criticize other's points of view.

end of rant.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
[quote author=moser3002 link=topic=119275.msg2510325#msg2510325 date=1217614291]
[quote author=arkenzo link=topic=119275.msg2509465#msg2509465 date=1217573180]

[/quote]

really? HE'S the closed minded fool here? before you make statements like this one, you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. ask yourself, "why do i believe in God?" and if the answer in any way, shape, or form involves your parents, you should never criticize other's points of view.

end of rant.
[/quote]

lol, thank you Moser....I wasn't honestly going to even reply to that anyway, there is just no point...some things get so ridiculous to me that it actually becomes comical at a point...like the idea of God punishing people with hurricanes.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
:) no prob budgy. i don't go attacking other's with childish name calling for their beliefs. i don't like it when others resort to that behavior,so i had to say something. piece!!

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
i didnt read most of, but its a bunch of BS, just about everything i saw there, were in place before bush was there.

the only thing i see, if the life of youg soldiers wasted, and families torned apart, natural disaster happening on US soil, and very little is made to help.

for a country like the USA, i find it un-accetable, that they had to receive the help from other countries after katrina.

i can go on and one, but i rather not, and do not think that this is the case only in america.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What bothers me most about things like this is the fact that the United States is the most philanthropic country the world has ever seen. Are we perfect? No. Could we do better? Hell yes. But the fact remains that there is an unmeasurable amount of good that we do all across the world, both by private citizens and the government itself. I take pride in that despite the fact that it gets lost in the global media and hope some day more people can see and appreciate it.

So yes, maybe I do take for granted the ability to heat my house in the winter or travel from ocean to ocean with nothing stopping me except wind resistance. In the end I lose all respect for fellow Americans who think it better to call me out on something like that rather than doing something to help the rest of the world enjoy those luxuries as well.

Oh, and interesting read if you are bored. http://philanthropy.com/free/update/2007/05/2007052201.htm

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
[quote author=SuperBrain link=topic=119275.msg2511932#msg2511932 date=1217685901]
What bothers me most about things like this is the fact that the United States is the most philanthropic country the world has ever seen. Are we perfect? No. Could we do better? Hell yes. But the fact remains that there is an unmeasurable amount of good that we do all across the world, both by private citizens and the government itself. I take pride in that despite the fact that it gets lost in the global media and hope some day more people can see and appreciate it.

So yes, maybe I do take for granted the ability to heat my house in the winter or travel from ocean to ocean with nothing stopping me except wind resistance. In the end I lose all respect for fellow Americans who think it better to call me out on something like that rather than doing something to help the rest of the world enjoy those luxuries as well.

Oh, and interesting read if you are bored. http://philanthropy.com/free/update/2007/05/2007052201.htm
[/quote]

its interesting.....but it depends on how you interpret things, but I would disagree with America being the most philanthropic country after reading that article. It was ranked basically on the bottom of the list out of the countries studied based on % of GDP, which means there was a lot more to give % wise compared to other countries, and that other countries gave more per capita with less to give out. And that the vast majority of the private contributions are made by people sending money directly to their families in their home countries.....and on average these people are probably making less than the average american, not to mention how few of these people there are in contrast to the many home grown americans that did not donate or give freely. So again, the people that donated even within the US were born in other countries, they make less money than the average american, they make up a small percentage of the population and contributed 2 thirds of the private donations. Seems like the "rich" people born with the oppurtunities, that think they are so giving are not holding up their share.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
A Big "FUCK YOU" to Jay Leno........

That is, if he even wrote this POS rambling email.......Im willing to bet it is BOGUS and was circulated by the McCain camp.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Just googled Jay Leno chain letter - it is apparently OLD, has been around, and written by some right wing moron giving "credibilty" to it by using Jay Leno as the author.

1000000% bogus.

Yep, turn back on the TV, dont burn Newspeak, and its okay to pick up a NY Times. The USA is INDEED in shambles just as we originally thought.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Everytime i hear anyone talk about the katrina flood this comes to mind.

Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

Where is all the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and trailers) are?

Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?

Where are Sean Penn and the Dixie Chicks?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a "vanilla" Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?

Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage complete with reports of cannibalism?

Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?

How come in 2 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=prototype_x9 link=topic=119275.msg2513005#msg2513005 date=1217737175]
Everytime i hear anyone talk about the katrina flood this comes to mind.

Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

Where is all the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and trailers) are?

Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?

Where are Sean Penn and the Dixie Chicks?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a "vanilla" Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?

Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage complete with reports of cannibalism?

Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?

How come in 2 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?
[/quote]

Where is Iowa, is that next to Canada?

j/k :lol:
-Matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts