Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen American Graffiti a few times, and just got done watching it again tonight. I can't help but fantasize about growing up in the late 50's / early 60's culture, and it's "innocence". I've always felt like I shoulda been alive in that time, but here I am today, stuck in 2011.

It's sad to see how much of America's nostalgia is going away. Yes, I understand we can't live in the past, but it's just sad to see the way things are going. I'm tired of wal mart, walgreens, facebook, youtube, cell phones, everything. It's sad to see a nostalgic drive-in 15 minutes from my house, that has been standing for over 50 years, and that I just went to last year, being slated for demolition because a fucking CVS pharmacy is moving in, directly across from a wal mart and walgreens. They keep on building these stupid chain stores, when downtown main street sits with tons of vacant buildings that could easily be renovated to bring the downtown alive again. Sad isn't it.

Who else thinks our new generations need a new American Graffiti movie? No special effects, no green screen, no fast and the furious heist scenes with the rock, just a good honest down to earth coming-of-age movie, to show what the good times were. Every film today seems to have multiple explosions, guns, killing, swearing, sex, ridiculousness, etc. I think with lessons learned from the first film, and advances in camera technology etc, a great addition could be made to the original film. The films purpose wouldn't be to "out-do" the original, but rather compliment it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
movies reflect the culture/time/society around it. the film you crave wouldn't resonate with the "majority" of movie goers.
second, the so-called innocence of the past decades only exist in those movies. if you pay attention to actual history you'll see people were as fucked up as we are today. they just did a better job of covering it up.
as for nostalgia, think of it this way. in the 50's/60's the older generation were expressing the same views you have.

ps. i never saw american grafitti. i think i'll go give it a look-see.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Brunangii link=topic=194248.msg4082174#msg4082174 date=1311912134]
movies reflect the culture/time/society around it. the film you crave wouldn't resonate with the "majority" of movie goers.
second, the so-called innocence of the past decades only exist in those movies. if you pay attention to actual history you'll see people were as fucked up as we are today. they just did a better job of covering it up.
as for nostalgia, think of it this way. in the 50's/60's the older generation were expressing the same views you have.
[/quote]

Well said!

While there are certain things I wish could be "reverted" to the old style (i.e. stronger middle class, greed having a weaker hold on greater society, etc.), the more things change, the more they stay the same.

·
Registered
764 Posts
This thread is hilarious to me. Mainly cause Ive seen this movie at least a dozen times and Ive been saying the exact same thing about society. though I realize its all nostalgia and is not completely accurate. But its funny to me cause I could have written this thread word for word, because I feel the same way.

too funny. and the fact that I just moved from pittsburgh, makes it even more coincidental

1 - 4 of 4 Posts