Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 75-80 miles round trip daily to work and am looking for a nice "commuter car" that's preferrably a 4cyl. Civics are just too ordinary and common. I want something different, and after researching MANY vehicles, I really like the Mazda. However, I am 36 years old. I am guessing the Mazda 3 is most popular with the 18-25 year age group?? Am I close here?

I like the 3, but am I too old for this car, haha. Be honest. This is my first post.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
No way!! In my opinion no one is never too old for a Mazda 3. One of my good friends (formerly my high school teacher) is in her 50s and drives a 3. She absolutely loves it! In fact, she is who turned me on to the Mazdas in the first place.

Not to mention I have seen SEVERAL older men and women around town in their 3s. ^_^

As the saying goes... you're only as old as you feel. 8)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
No, you're not too old at all. There's a couple guys in my Minnesota 3 group that are in their 30s, and at least one member here who's in his 50s. I see many middle-aged people driving 3s.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as too old for a mazda3. Unless you are Really old and drive 15mph where ever you go, run into shit for no apparant reason, and forget you are even driving every now and then. Then you should stick with the bus or cabs. I'm 28 btw. I'm planning on owning this vehicle in my 30's and still feeling like I'm 21. :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
You want a great looking car? You want a great price for performance and amenities? You want to smile every time you slip into it, take it around a corner, or step on it? You want a vehicle most car mags have rated in the top ten? You want some styling that other cars in its price range don't even begin to offer? if yes, than what age you are is irrelevant, isn't it?

But if you want a commuter car getting the best mpg at the expense of performance, reconsider. If the best warranty out of all manufacturers is priority, reconsider. If dealership satisfaction is a priority, reconsider.

If u think you're too old for it, maybe you are. Age is just a state of mind. And, I'm old enough to be your father :p

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's still a four door sedan/hb.. no one's too old for a four door car.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
We have plenty of older members here! One moderator (the jerk of the group) ;) is in his 50's! I'll be 26 in a couple weeks, a few guys in the Jersey group (arguably one of the more active groups) are 30, 40+. You're never too old for a kind of car. Being too young - that's another topic! I can't imagine an 18-year-old tooling around in a brand new Deville.

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
[quote author=zobx link=topic=69506.msg1207571#msg1207571 date=1171482266]
We have plenty of older members here! One moderator (the jerk of the group) ;) is in his 50's!
[/quote]

:hahano: :slap: :hahano:

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
[quote author=zobx link=topic=69506.msg1207618#msg1207618 date=1171483494]
I knew you were sitting in the shadows ya bastid! :zobx:
[/quote]

bastid (aka RatBastard for those of you who do not the history of my aliases)? I thought my new handle was "supreme a-hole".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=Mazz link=topic=69506.msg1207553#msg1207553 date=1171481929]
You want a great looking car? You want a great price for performance and amenities? You want to smile every time you slip into it, take it around a corner, or step on it? You want a vehicle most car mags have rated in the top ten? You want some styling that other cars in its price range don't even begin to offer?
[/quote]

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

And even though the Mazda might not have the best mpg of the bunch (Honda,Toyota,VW...etc).....I guarantee it's better than my new Maxima (which will be handed over to my wife when her Grand Prix lease is up in a few months). I drive.....well....let's just say I'm not afraid to "get on it" every once in a while (all the time). I bought my Maxima 6 months ago thinking it would be decent on gas. WRONG! However it is much better than my Titan 4x4 (which was traded in for the Maxima). I was spending between $450-$500 a month IN GAS with the Titan. When my monthly gas expenses are more than your actual car payment.....time to make a move. That move was to the Maxima but it's still not good at 19mpg......but better than Titan at 11mpg! Before Titan was Ford Ranger at 16mpg (big tires).

So, if I can get anything even CLOSE to 28-30 mpg.......and still have a car that looks good and is fun to drive.......it will be like heaven.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm 45 and I just bought a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 in Mica Black. Hey, nobody can tell me what to drive at whatever age I'm at, that's my decision. I guess I've reached the age where I can buy what I want and I know a fun car when I drive one. You're only as old as you feel!! Let's see, I still play the drums, I still wear Pumas, I still drive a '74 Porsche 911, I still brew my own beer.... the list goes on and on. Have fun and live your life. Get a MS3 and drive one of the best deals around... if you can find one!

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
[quote author=azasadny link=topic=69506.msg1207679#msg1207679 date=1171485182]
I'm 45 and I just bought a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 in Mica Black. Hey, nobody can tell me what to drive at whatever age I'm at, that's my decision. I guess I've reached the age where I can buy what I want and I know a fun car when I drive one. You're only as old as you feel!! Let's see, I still play the drums, I still wear Pumas, I still drive a '74 Porsche 911, I still brew my own beer.... the list goes on and on. Have fun and live your life. Get a MS3 and drive one of the best deals around... if you can find one!
[/quote]

I couldn't have said it better! :rb:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I saw a granny, and I bet she is at least 50 years old, driving a Mazda 3 2006 Hatchback GT - Sunlight Silver.

Who says adults can't be cool and have to drive a Corolla?

"All children instinctively know it. A few adults still remember it..." ~ Quoted from page 1 of the brochure.

You must be one of the adults that still remembers it :D good memory!

dL

·
Registered
248 Posts
[quote author=PENROSE link=topic=69506.msg1207471#msg1207471 date=1171480289]
I drive 75-80 miles round trip daily to work and am looking for a nice "commuter car" that's preferrably a 4cyl. Civics are just too ordinary and common. I want something different, and after researching MANY vehicles, I really like the Mazda. However, I am 36 years old. I am guessing the Mazda 3 is most popular with the 18-25 year age group?? Am I close here?

I like the 3, but am I too old for this car, haha. Be honest. This is my first post.

[/quote]

I'm 38, and will be 39 in September. I have a wonderful girlfriend, but have never been married nor do I have kids, and many tell me I neither look nor act like someone my age. I'd say my 3 fits me just perfectly... :D I've never driven anything that an older person would drive, except my first car, which was given to me. I've always driven Camaros, a Wrangler, now a 3 hatch.

·
Registered
305 Posts
[quote author=PENROSE link=topic=69506.msg1207643#msg1207643 date=1171484112]
When my monthly gas expenses are more than your actual car payment.....time to make a move.
[/quote]

Exactly. When it climbed over $3/gal last year & stayed there, traded in my Durango @ 13mpg & got an 07 hatch. Now my payments are half, & gas is half. And smiles are twice as large. Do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:D

I am considering trading my 13mpg FX45 for the MS3. Luckily, my commute to work is about 17 miles round trip, but with an extended family all around the area, I still find myself filling up about 3 times a month (@ ~$50.00/tank). If I could even cut it down to 2 times a month @$35.00/tank I'd be sittin' pretty.

However, in this family, I'm the only one that (most probably) will own a Mazda. Everyone has their, Acuras, Toyotas, Infinitis... so it will be a hard sell to convince them that the MS3 is a nice practical/reliable/upscale(feeling) type car. Anyway, I showed one person in the family the MS3 Mazda website and she was... "It looks nice, but... aren't you a little old to drive that?" HAHAHA! I'm only 30. I'm a family-man and employed as a gov't contractor doing some software development. I have really no one to 'impress' with a fancy Mercedes/BMW/_____. So don't let it stop you, it won't stop me from drooling over the MS3.

So, I'm going to work hard to convince the wifey that this car might be our best solution for an 'economical' fun car.

G

·
The Mazda3 is the perfect car to get in touch with your younger side (zoom zoom). I see older people (maybe in their 50s) driving the '3 and I always see a smile on their face (or atleast the car is contributing to that smile).

Now, if there were less cars on the road I'd be happy...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[quote author=Mazz link=topic=69506.msg1207779#msg1207779 date=1171487293]
[quote author=PENROSE link=topic=69506.msg1207643#msg1207643 date=1171484112]
When my monthly gas expenses are more than your actual car payment.....time to make a move.
[/quote]

Exactly. When it climbed over $3/gal last year & stayed there, traded in my Durango @ 13mpg & got an 07 hatch. Now my payments are half, & gas is half. And smiles are twice as large. Do it.
[/quote]

Yes, I too paniced when the gas prices went over $3 per gallon and stayed there. Traded in my Titan without thinking twice. Here are a few pics of my current and past gas guzzlers......

My Maxima (soon to be wifes Maxima, when/if I get a Mazda3).....19mpg tops....terrible mpg......but fun to drive.

Titan 11mpg!!...don't even miss it (maybe a lil' 'cause the snow we have now here in PA)........traded it for the Max........

Ranger(2003)16mpg...... traded for Titan....good little truck, actually miss it now that I see this old pic...

1 - 20 of 153 Posts