Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i'm a cheap bastard and i ordered some replica GV eyelids and a grille from Nabobery over at Speedline.com. when i got the products, they were very well packed (wrapped in foam then in bags) but when i opened them, i was disappointed.

at first i looked at the grille and i was like, nice paint job - flipped it over and was all - damn, that looks like ass! next, grab the eyelids - already scratched and nicked and man they look kinda funny, too... maybe all of this is just me in my head - i'd better see what it looks like on the car..

oh and stoopid me, i didn't search this vendor here on the forums - if i would have, i proly wouldn't have ordered them... regardless, i did and now let me show you what i got.. picture time!

starting with the eyelids, here's some shots of them laying next to a straight edge so you can see how wonky the work is - i know there's that one little recess, but it's suppossed to be straight after that - right?

you can really see the issue here...

here's the one with all the problems - i mean, they both have problems, but this one was the worst. see the pretty scratches and the chip...

let's see how they look on the car, now...

here's the pic from their website - guess they don't want you to see it from above..

---

ok, now that we've seen those - how about that grille?

alright, here's the front of the grille - doesn't look too bad at first glance....

now, let's flip that over and see the back...

and the other end has bondo covering up the screw hole (i know i can drill it out.. )

oh, and there's actually a chunk of something inside the grille that's rattling around - WTF is that all about?

ok, ok... calm down. so i email them and tell them that i'm not happy about all this stuff and after a couple emails they say, put it on the car and take a picture of it and then we'll consider a refund.

what i hadn't figured was that some of those dents were intentional and that they helped lay the piece on there correctly - but only some, the rest IMHO is still sloppy... here you can see it mounted and where the poor quality craftsmanship is still visible.

alright, so it's not as bad as i thought - let's see it from the outside...

what's interesting about these shots is that you can see from the reflections of the light that the surface of this thing isn't even smooth - IMHO it's even more obvious in person. have a look..

also, check out the upper right corner - doesn't really look like it fits in there very well...

that doesn't seem to match up with the picture on their site... check it out...

huh? look at the gapping at the top of the grille too... looks a little different, don't it?

one more thing about the grille that bothers me.... the lowest tier on it looks a little wonky to me... have a look - doesn't that look ood?

here's some areas that didn't get sanded or filled in properly - there's more of that on the other side, too...

i guess, when you pull away from the car it doesn't look that bad..

i know i'm a little OCD, but i guess i feel like if i'm going to shell out all that money, i want the product to look and function right and if not, i'm gonna send it back. now, this isn't like some GB where it's someone doing a favor for us all - this is an actual company that makes these products for sale - they should be held accountable in my opinion... am i crazy?

be honest, is this just what's to be expected when you buy stuff like this? i don't really know - i'm a noob...

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
THe back of the grill looks horrible, and the eyelids look f'd up. But you still have to consider that aftermarket parts arn't always going to line up perfect. Every car is different. But i can understand your headache.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
the first of your problems probably started when you asked them to pre-paint them for you instead of actually getting them fitted. that is problem number one if only because every eyelid and aftermarket body part (more often than not) needs to be sanded and fitted prior to painting. they probably just whipped them off the shelves and painted them.

i have to ask... who cares about the back of the grille?

other than that the fitment looks worthy of replacement, but if you got those eyelids unpainted a little sanding could have fixed that easily.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Im not trying to flame you. But, you did buy from Ebay. What did you expect? Ebay isnt the place to buy parts like that. Save up and get the real deal.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, at least i'm not completely crazy - but i guess this seems to be the expected results when purchasing aftermarket sutff ... i didn't buy it on ebay, but i know that's primarilly where nabobery sells his stuff..

i guess i'm just too much of a noob to have realized that "bolt-on" means bolt-on with modifications.... guess i'm just SOL... :?

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
no worries man, all of that is fixeable. the eyelids are probably junk and they should replace them. the grille doesn't look bad at all imo.

·
Registered
524 Posts
it looks like your grille is...melting? :?

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=66174.msg1135156#msg1135156 date=1168035887]
no worries man, all of that is fixeable. the eyelids are probably junk and they should replace them. the grille doesn't look bad at all imo.
[/quote]

+1 the grill looks pretty good in the last pic, and unless your a car show guy, 99.9% of people arent going to notice.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=Danger Mouse link=topic=66174.msg1135183#msg1135183 date=1168036656]
[/quote]

+1 the grill looks pretty good in the last pic, and unless your a car show guy, 99.9% of people arent going to notice.
[/quote]

so true... i guess it just gets my goat cause i know deep down that it's not right and i just don't want to have one of those cars that people see in the parking lot and go "dood, did you see how lame that guy was cause his grille licks balls?".

i know, it's totally lame of me to think that way... what can i say, i'm lame.. thanks for the honesty.. :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
you're definately right about needing to have vendor checked before ordering. Can't change it now. Anyway- those eyelids look fubar but, like mentioned you shouldnt ever expect body parts to ever fit perfectly without a little work. Some sanding would fix those, but it still shows the poor quality of the companies work. The grill dosn't look too bad, but I agree- with a back like that you just can't imagine it being good quality. You mentioned a rattle INSIDE the grill? yea, thats unacceptable imo. Once installed it dosn't look too bad, but that paint job is less than quality it looks : /

Hopefully you can get something straightened out.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm guessing it still looks better than my Accolade grille. Your problem is that you shouldn't have got them painted. Like the other guys said you can always sand 'em down before you paint. Plus car paint do fade a little over time so say if your car is few years old then even the mazda paint might not be a perfect match. Still look good though.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I would shove that shit up someones ass if they tried to sell it to me. Send it back.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
HAHA....does look like shredder. no offense

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
[quote author=krupky link=topic=66174.msg1135194#msg1135194 date=1168037117]
[quote author=Danger Mouse link=topic=66174.msg1135183#msg1135183 date=1168036656]
[/quote]

[/quote]

so true... i guess it just gets my goat cause i know deep down that it's not right and i just don't want to have one of those cars that people see in the parking lot and go "dood, did you see how lame that guy was cause his grille licks balls?".

i know, it's totally lame of me to think that way... what can i say, i'm lame.. thanks for the honesty.. :)
[/quote]

The grill doesn't look bad at all...The eyelids are pretty bad. Like what Danger Mouse said it's not that noticeable and your not showing so it's not a problem. Most of the people won't be able to spot it. I have stuff on my car that bugs me but everyday people don't see them. I think it's because you know your flaws on your car and it bugs you but to normal people, there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
i guess you can trace the real problem back to people who, for lack of a better term, don't care if their grilles lick balls. more than half the people who buy these eyelids probably wouldn't complain. fuck, most cars roll around with unpainted grilles. rolling like that is unnecessary.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i guess that's just it - i hate seeing those cars rolling around town thinking it's ok... i just don't want to add to it.

and sh1bby69, i appreciate your comments - i've always respected your ride.

i still hate the eyelids, but i'm feeling a little better about the grille... if i can return it i will - if not, it wont be that bad...

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
[quote author=krupky link=topic=66174.msg1135514#msg1135514 date=1168048684]
i guess that's just it - i hate seeing those cars rolling around town thinking it's ok... i just don't want to add to it.

and sh1bby69, i appreciate your comments - i've always respected your ride.

i still hate the eyelids, but i'm feeling a little better about the grille... if i can return it i will - if not, it wont be that bad...
[/quote]

Thanks! I've always hated those kind of cars as well.

If you get a refund for the eyelids I bought mine from SilviaParts.com. I like them a lot.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts