Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer installed a Sony 10 disc changer in the trunk (they picked the changer which was ok by me since I originally only wanted a 6 disc).

The changer resets and powers off each time I start the car. Meaning, if Im listening to disc 5, track 7 and turn off the car, when I turn it back on the cd changer is off (loud static!). And when I turn the CD changer on, it's back on disc 1 track 1. And to change CDs in the trunk I have to have the car at least turned on to accessory power.

That's not the way it is supposed to work, right? In my old Paseo the Alpine changer didn't work that way. It would come back on where I left off when starting the car.

what a pain in the butt - taking the car in for service is not convenient as they have no weekend hours.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
A) Why didn't you get the 6 disc - it's in dash, none of that trunk mount bullshit

B) HOW did the dealer install it? There's no Aux-In on the 3.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont know - I asked for it when I negotiated, and they called back and said OH CRAP WE CANT IT"S 700 bucks or something and offered me a 10 disc and I said ok.

Im totally fine with that - I just want to know if they screwed up the install (ie does what is happening sound normal??)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe take a look at the manual for the changer. Haven't looked at a trunk mount CD changer in a long time but I'd think that it should have a wire that is supposed to be connected to the battery (fused but always on) to keep settings "alive". Sounds like they hooked everything to "Accessory power".

Are they using the FM modulator method?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Possible modulator or peripheral adaptor.

If it resets, its on ignition only. All 12v audio equipment typically need a 12v constant for memory and 12v ignition for turn on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm - ok, in layman's terms: is it easy to fix?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yes, depending where they got the power from. If its behind the deck, bingo. If not, you need to find that first.

It would help to have a multimeter. You could measure the wires at the changer to find out what kind of power its getting.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You are the man Vaboom, I will call you up for my installs anytime :).

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dunno though... sounds like the dealer was trying to screw you out of the stock 6 disc changer and give you an aftermarket one. This is to save them money... gives you an extra 4 discs but doesn't give you the same sort of integration with your stereo that you deserve. If you negotiated for the Mazda3 6 disc changer, thats what they shoulda given you.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I agree. You should have received the Mazda 6-disc in-dash changer.

The difference is rather significant, both in terms of cost, sound quality, convenience, integration, and subsequent value on re-sale.

If you can, get them to put in the Mazda 6-disc as agreed upon. Use this chance as an excuse that their 10-disc solution is not okay. Don't tell them to fix it, tell them to replace it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
LeeLee's right. You should not have to live with a second-rate (don't get me started on Sony Car Audio) CD-Changer, when an OEM changer is what you agreed upon when purchasing. That would be like getting different tires than you paid for at a tire place--sure, they might perform decently, but that's not what you agreed to get, and that's a breach of contract.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts