Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I'm at the point where I will be needing some new tires on my MS3. I've done all the thread searching on sizing that people have tried. I don't want to run a 225-40 on my stock 7" rim. I do autox occasionally and live in sunny California so going with my usual summer high performance tire. I've seen some having issues with minor rubbing in the rear with a 225-45. My choices are pretty limited with the stock 215-45's. I don't want to spend over $200. per tire so I'll go with Dunlop Direzza star spec Z1 or Kumho Ecsta XS. Both are available in the 225-45 and in the $180. range. I can also get the Falken RT-615 ($166.) in that size but it's still a decent tire but a little outdated now with the other choices out there. I've looked at the specs for these tires and there are small differences in diameter/tread width/sect.width but, overall pretty close to each other. Any input from those who are actually running the 225-45 on a stock speed 3 wheel would be appreciated... On a side note I hardly ever have passengers in my car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I guess the only way I'm going to find out about this one is to buy a set of (225-45's Dunlop Direzza sport Z1 star spec) and try them for myself... :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bump to see what happened.

I am not quite there yet, but I will be making a similar decision. Except I will probably be deciding between the stock tire and the dunlops in 225/40 and 225/45. I really don't want rubbing, but I also rarely have people in the car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No issues/no rubbing with the 225/45's on my MS3. The Dunlop Direzza sport Z1 star spec is a great tire, this is a very sticky/grippy tire. :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=134811.msg3076547#msg3076547 date=1240416320]
No issues/no rubbing with the 225/45's on my MS3. The Dunlop Direzza sport Z1 star spec is a great tire, this is a very sticky/grippy tire. :p
[/quote]

Have you had any people in the back seat yet?

Also how many miles on them and can you tell how they're wearing yet? I'm only interested in the dunlops if they last about as long (or longer) as the stockers. Also how is the turn-in/steering response compared to the bridgestones? And lastly, how does the noise compare?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only have 4k miles on them, will rotate every 5k. No back seaters yet, I rarely have any passengers in my car. These tires respond immediately to corners...

·
Registered
49 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=134811.msg3077540#msg3077540 date=1240441079]
Only have 4k miles on them, will rotate every 5k. No back seaters yet, I rarely have any passengers in my car. These tires respond immediately to corners...
[/quote]

At 4k, any idea of how they're wearing/lifespan? Also, what about the noise factor?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now there are no visible signs of wear that I can see. Noise is not an issue either, no louder than the stockers I took off. Just go for it, you won't be disappointed with these tires...

·
Registered
49 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=134811.msg3078345#msg3078345 date=1240468746]
Right now there are no visible signs of wear that I can see. Noise is not an issue either, no louder than the stockers I took off. Just go for it, you won't be disappointed with these tires...
[/quote]

Great. Thanks so much for the info. I think I will give them a shot. We'll see how long my bridgestones last. I must admit I have been abusing them on occasion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts