Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
especially for those who had it in for a while now, so hows your car running now? any problems/ comments? i also want to ask how you guys shift with the sport shifter.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
you getting a turbo?

You should get the Lentech valvebody and a good trans fluid cooler. When racing, use manu mode and let up off the gas during shifts. You dont neeed to totally let up, just enough to get out of boost. A little more than 1/2 throttle is good.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'll let you know in the spring sometime around late april i'm going Stg 4 just strictly stock no pistons nothing, just safe enough boost about 8psi at the most. i'm going to eventually get the ATX cooler and the lantech VB. ah i can't wait!!!

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
you might want to rethink your choice in turbo kits.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hiboost it baby!!:)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i don't think Lentech does the 5spd vb's that i know of? you might be able to send in yours, have them work on it, then return it though? takes some time, but i'm sure they can do it. but since the 5spd jatco isn't the tranny they work on, there's no point in stocking those vb's.

there are a few shops around that do VB work. maybe talking to Lentech and/or level10, they can point you in the direction of someone in Florida, there's a crapload of shops in FL, gotta be a good tranny shop.

·
Registered
736 Posts
lentech does not make ANY products for the 5-speed auto trans on 06+ models. BUT if you pay a $1000 core deposit, SCI will get you the upgraded 5-speed valvebody. If any 5-speed autos want to further upgrade their tranny Level Ten Performance Transmissions has a stage 4 kit making the 5 speed tranny good for up to 800hp and 1000ft/lb torque for around $3200. They also have a stage 2 for $2900. The stage 2 is good for a more realistic 300hp/torque. They also have torque converters and upgraded valvebodies for the 5-speed. For the tranny overhauls you would have to send your tranny into their shop in New Jersey though.

·
Registered
472 Posts
thanks for the info, I will talk to both lentech and Level10 about it. I would really like to make my tranny a bit stronger before boosting.

·
Registered
593 Posts
[quote author=isjoining link=topic=69862.msg1218198#msg1218198 date=1171954361]
thanks for the info, I will talk to both lentech and Level10 about it. I would really like to make my tranny a bit stronger before boosting.
[/quote]

That's what i'm doing but I have a 4 speed auto and can talk to lentech.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Level10 will upgrade the valve body for the 5spd automatic transmission for $698 and you have to send in your valve body. Now i just need to get the funds.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so for the 06 atx guys, youll have to spend more to keep everything safe? we cant just buy the hiboost?

·
Registered
736 Posts
the hiboost kit for auto's is set for a lower psi and power output (about 200 i think) so our tranny's can handle it, but buying an upgraded valvebody would be a good precaution to take especially if you want your trans to last. a complete trans overhaul isn't neccesary unless you plan on going for alot more power. so yeah if you're an auto wanting to boost you're going to need to spend some extra cash.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Im trying to find evidence that the trans cant handle it. Tea and 909 both have auto's and they have plenty of miles and its holding up fine. If your not letting up off the gas during shifts and you dont have a VB and cooler, then you are asking for trouble. On teh other hand, theres plenty of MT's that are breaking.

·
Registered
472 Posts
im sure the automatic transmission on the 06+ models will be able to handle the power. The Jatco transmission used on the 06+ Mazda 3 are also used on the Jaguar X-Type.

But to be safe, it's best to get a upgraded valve body and transmission cooler. $700 for the valve body from Level10.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
if i had to guess, from driving impression of the 5spd....you guys have a lot better start than we did on the 4spd. shifts are a lot firmer to start, not that vb's would help, but they might not be as needed if you watch how you shift. i would guess that a good tranny cooler on the 5spd would hold you out quite a bit if you wanted to do the VB's after a year since the turbo tends to drain most funds.

the vb's don't let you hold any more power, just makes things quicker and cooler. the quicker shifts allow you to not worry about it over-revving during shifts (burning the clutch packs) then hitting the redline while shifting. cooler is obviously good for the life of the tranny.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts