Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of a newbie question here : I had an alignment done on my 3 at my dealer about 3 weeks ago, after passing on some really deep potholes (Stupid Quebec roads). They did not find anything major to correct.

I went to work this morning at 100+ kph and all was well, but when I took the car back home on the same highway, 10 hours later, I noticed a new, very noticeable vibration in the steering wheel above 50 kph. I could not only feel it, but also hear the wheel vibrate pretty loudly! I immediately left the highway and worked my way back home through city streets.

I did not hit any pothole worthy of the name since I had the alignment done. A few smallish ones, that's it.

Is there some kind of warranty on wheel alignments? What can cause wheels to lose alignment like that, without notice?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had the same problem with my old car... one thing to check before bringing it into the dealer... check for snow lodged in your mags/rims. That may be the source of your vibration.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like a wheel out of balance, not alignment.

·
Registered
238 Posts
my old car had this problem.

the steering wheel would vibrate on higher speeds on the highway as well as when i'm slowing down to a stop

found out it had something to do with the brakes.......but i cant remember what now

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
bobmtb said:
I had the same problem with my old car... one thing to check before bringing it into the dealer... check for snow lodged in your mags/rims. That may be the source of your vibration.
With the winter we are having, if you have hard snow in your mags or ice, it will be enough to get your car shaking like a vibrator.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll check for clogged rims. I have 16" steel rims for my Pirelli Snow Carving tires.

Last time I had this kind of vibration, it was on the loaner Protegé SE, 24hrs before getting my 3... It cost me $700 in suspension repairs that time... Hence my worries with this one!

I did hit the curb at 40 kph with the Protegé, and not with the 3, but still!

·
Registered
314 Posts
:shock:

Fell victim last night of a pothole. Will take pics tonight when I get home, but my rim is dented. Thank god I was not driving on the mags, would have been a lot more costly. Piece of $h!t roads we have here in Montreal. Alignment seems fine and no real sign of vibration. Will probably have to replace the rim though... watch out when you get off the Bonaventure exit from the Champlain bridge. The left lane, there's a hidden pothole. Only saw it at the last minute and there was nothing I can do. Hopefully there is no other damage. Will get dealer to check alignment on 1st oil change.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ice stuck in rims theory was the right one. Thank god!

I took it to the dealer anyway, and they found that the snow put my front right wheel out of balance. Corrected for $22.

Potholes are friggin' early this year. We usually get 'em in March or April, when the snow melts, but we had some since December this year... Sucks! Imagine what it'll be like in April...

·
Registered
314 Posts
After talking to a few buddies at work, I think I'll just bang it back in spring with a hammer. I'd rather do that than spend close to 100$ to replace the rim. *sigh*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts